Lily - My English Setter became an angel April 24, 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lily - My English Setter

Lily’s stomach has been bothering her for the past few days and yesterday she didn’t eat at all. So today I gave her some Pepcid AC and switched her food over to boiled chicken breasts and brown rice. She ate both meals today Think I’ll keep her on this for a few days.

Also, to keep her BG from dropping too low, I had to drop her insulin from 13 units of Novolin N and 3 units of R to 12 units of N.

This is her checking out our ES coffee mugs earlier in the week...

Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
    Diabetes: Aug 2013
    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Maybe just a bit bored with her food but its good going with the tried and true for stomach upset . jesse ran into some stool difficulties in the summer and been giving a small dose of milk thistle with food and her stools improved . Jesse has a bad habit of finding things on the street to eat

She seems very interested in the mugs . silly Lilly
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Well, the boiled chicken breast and brown rice worked. I had her on that for a few days and now she’s back to her normal food and insulin. I always worry about pancreatitis returning.

She just had her semi annual visit to the eye vet and all is well there. She continues taking Ketorolac eye drops daily. They’re non steroidal anti inflammatory drops.

Lily really slowed down this summer, which was extremely hot for the Buffalo NY area. She started to have hind leg weakness, so I switched her from plain Dasuquin to Dasuquin with MSM and that seems to have helped. She really has improved with the cooler fall weather.

Comment

Oh yeah dogs like the cooler days . Jesse has much more fun chasing rabbits when its nice a cool . Getting older they are going to get a bit slower . Jesse isnt fly girl anymore where she would take a running leap into the bed . She misses the mark but thats ok she has slowed down enough i can take her for a walk in the desert and not worry about her taking off after a rabbit over the next mountain . So there are benefits

great update on lily mike . Its important for others to see how these dogs live with diabetes and pretty much are normal . I am a believer in updates and glad you do it
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

You're taking great care of your girl, Mike, ... nice work.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I haven’t posted anything about Lily for a few months. It’s been a tough time for me and my family, as my beautiful wife of 49 years, Pat, passed away on December 1. Times like this really make you stop and think about the changes in life and how important friends and family are.

Lily knows that things are different now and she has been a big source of comfort and by my side constantly.

She has been eating well every day and her blood glucose is staying in the 100 - 250 range. Her hind leg weakness has stabilized with the addition of daily Methyl B12 tablets.

Here she is, waiting to come inside from the cold and wind
              Last edited by MikeMurphy; 01-11-2019, 06:20 AM.

Comment

i am sad to here of the passing of your wife mike . lily is your comfort as jesse is with me . I m glad jesse decided to stick around as you are with Lilly . I am glad you said something as it can be a release in its own way

glad Lilly is doing well . She is a model for others and with your kind spirit helping others on the forum is a blessing

Comment

Mike, my sincere condolences on the loss of your wife. I'm glad you have Lily to help you through your grief.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

Mike, I am so sorry to hear of your wife's passing and please accept my sincere condolences to you and your family. I am glad Lily is doing well and is a comfort by your side.

Keeping you and your family in prayer.
                    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Mike, I am so sorry for the loss of your wife and gratified that Lily is doing so well. I realize, as much as I can, what you are going through since my husband of 40 years died ten months ago. In addition to my circle of friends, Izzy has been and continues to be such a comfort to me as Lily has been to you.
                      Izzy's Mom - 11 years old, 24 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 12 units Humulin N every 12 hours; 1/2 cup Blue prescription k/s three times a day and a regular grain free greenie after dinner

Comment

Mike I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have a strong circle of friends and family to help you through this. Judi
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

So sorry to learn your wife passed, Mike. You have my deepest condolences. No doubt Lily feels the loss also and is staying very close to comfort you.

Our fur kids are certainly beautiful spirits, aren't they?
                          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

jesse girl, Bonnie, Daisydog, Isabelle, Judi, Bill... Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Comment

Mike, my deepest sympathy on the loss of your wife. My heart and prayers go out to you and to Lily.
                              Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Mike - I am so sorry for the loss of your wife. I am glad Lily is helping you through. Grief is such a long and lonely road.
                                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                                X