Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shot-time Dilemmas-Your Experiences & Fixes, PLEASE!

I also remember reading about someone who would always give pretend shots to her other dogs when her diabetic dog was getting his/her real shot. After all, they wanted to get treats too!

So they'd all line up and she'd give the real shot to the diabetic dog, then give that dog a treat ... and then she'd give pretend shots to all of her non-diabetics, with their treats given immediately after too, of course.

Comment

When Mia had her Lysodren, Zac had to have a small ball of cream cheese too - of course. Just had to be real careful not to get them muddled up - I always squashed his completely flat just to be sure.

Alison

Comment

I found the 31 gauge short needle did work well, but with me and Niki she has a new shot area, she sits and I have to play acrobat and get around her to do a shot above her leg/hip area.

The 29 gauge are helpful for when I have to go under the skin and get some angle with the needle, the short ones make that hard to do.

We are having trouble with injections cause she lost weight, I was using for a distraction some of the squeeze cheeze out the can, this worked for awhile, I remembered my one vet doing this while she gave the vaccinations.

Also I would try too using a needle with nothing in the syringe and try some areas to see if you can inject there, I am amazed at times it does not hurt Niki, but then at times it does.

I will have to think some more about this.
        Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Even though I had already had a diabetic dog, when we discovered Ricky was diabetic, I was, once again, a nervous wreck about the injections. He was initially put on Vetsulin, and we were using the syringes from the vet. He was not taking the shots well, and I was getting more and more shaky and nervous with each injection problem. I discovered that the needle was 29 gauge, and I thought "That's the problem!!"...I don't know what worked, or if it was a combination of things, but this is what we did...I sit on the bed and let Ricky sit in between my legs. (Hard to do when you are my age!!) I used a soft muzzle on him, thinking it might calm him down. I inject him in the side of the neck area, so I just get him to lie on his side, pull up a tent of skin, and inject. We switched to the smaller gauge needle, and with the muzzle, and the fact that I decided it had to happen, and I had to do it..so I calmed down..we made it work. We are at it now for a year and a half, I still use the muzzle (I don't need it, and it is VERY loose, but he waits for it to be put on and I think it comforts him), and the shots are the least of our worries. Please don't give yourself a hard time about this, it is a big deal in the beginning. You can do it.

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky

Comment

Re: Niki's story

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/...edproducts.htm

"Holding an ice cube against the skin for several minutes can also numb the skin."

We tried this a while back for someone's dog who was having problems when he got his shot. It takes a little longer with a dog because you need to hold it there long enough for the cold to get past the fur. Our "test dog" was a samoyed, so you know how thick that type of fur is. It worked fine.

Maybe this can replace the OraGel/Anbesol--nothing but frozen water.

Kathy

Comment

Re: Shot-time Dilemmas-Your Experiences & Fixes

With the first week of giving injections I had to be firm with Niki, this needed to be done, it did not seem to hurt back then, I think she was playing me and no doubt sick of the vet visits.

I think since Niki put some weight back on the shots are not a problem anymore, she still gets them in the hip area as she sits, but I think she just has had enough of the scruf area, there are no lumpy areas at the scruff, all in all we've come out of our bump in the road.
              Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Andy was on Vetsulin at first with the big 29g syringes. He did not make a fuss at first. I believe he was too sick to care. Then in a couple weeks when he felt good, that all changed.

It was then I was told about using smaller syringes. I started using the 31g short and I also buy the BD brand. Things improved dramatically after that.

Andy is small so I put a towel up in the bathroom sink and lay out a treat. I put him in the sink, he has his treat and then we give the shot. For the most part he is very good about this.

There have been a few times when he decided he was not going to do the shot. I talked firmly to him and in a calm voice let him know that I was in control and this was going to happen. I have even put his head under my arm to let him know I will hold him down if needed. Once I change the tone of my voice he submits immediately.

The truth is, I still get sick at my stomach sometimes. I try not to let him know it!

Comment

Originally posted by forloveofandy View Post
                  Andy was on Vetsulin at first with the big 29g syringes. He did not make a fuss at first. I believe he was too sick to care. Then in a couple weeks when he felt good, that all changed.

It was then I was told about using smaller syringes. I started using the 31g short and I also buy the BD brand. Things improved dramatically after that.

Andy is small so I put a towel up in the bathroom sink and lay out a treat. I put him in the sink, he has his treat and then we give the shot. For the most part he is very good about this.

There have been a few times when he decided he was not going to do the shot. I talked firmly to him and in a calm voice let him know that I was in control and this was going to happen. I have even put his head under my arm to let him know I will hold him down if needed. Once I change the tone of my voice he submits immediately.

The truth is, I still get sick at my stomach sometimes. I try not to let him know it!

I think this describes Oliver to a "T"!!

We are taking him to the vet tommorrow for another BG curve. I want to figure out exactly which u100 short needle BD syringes to purchase. I will be letting the vet know that I am switching AND I understand that I need to multiply his current dosage of Vetsulin x2.5 to administer the correct dosage.

I'm just confused on ALL of these syringes.

Oliver is currently on 4.5 units of Vetsulin using the UltiCare 29g 1/2" needles. I'm not sure if his insulin will be increased this week or not, I'll find out tomorrow. They've been increasing him by .5 units each week, so I would suspect, unless everything is good, we'll be at 5 units 2x per day.

So, my understanding is...4.5 x 2.5 = 11.25 units on a u100 syringe

Now, which u100 syringe do I buy?

It is my intention that after we get the injection process worked out and Oliver quits being such an uncooperative wiggle butt, my next conquest will be to start home BG testing.
                  My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Comment

It took me awhile to discover this but when Lady would protest having her shot I found that I was holding my breath! I would use my tough voice and start breathing normally. And then the shot would happen!!! Even after 2 1/2 years this can still happen to us...how does she know I'm holding my breath? It amazes me that she is so tuned in to my state of mind and emotional state at any given time.
                    Jo-Ann & Lady

Comment

How I made injections work

TO ALL OF YOU WHO'VE BEEN SO HELPFUL:

I had the greatest news Saturday! Madi's blood glucose level is now 140! Everyday, she becomes more "tolerant" of her injections and it is paying off big time.

A week ago, I discovered that placing her on a blanket in the bathroom sink in front of the mirror seemed to be enjoyable for her. We look at each other in the mirror and have a bit of a conversation. I also learned that an acupressure point of calming on dogs is between their eyes, low on the forehead. She loves it when I rotate my finger there and seems to calm down almost immediately! What was once a horrible experience for both of us, has turned out to be our "special time together". She even enjoys the trips to the vet now, basking in their praise at how much she has improved.

Thanks to everyone who guided me through this and Madigan sends one of her special big kisses to all of you!

Comment

Working...
                      X