Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Franklin has diabetes

Happy happy birthday!!!!!!
    Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Im so late in wishing Franklin a happy birthday! Missed this and sorry I did!

Hows he doing Jane, hope all continues to go well post surgery for you.
      Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

I totally missed Franklin's 8th Birthday....

Happy Birthday, Franklin.... Many, many more.
        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Hi Jane

Just wondered how little Franklin is doing? Hope his eyes are ok and he is running around and enjoying life. Its been very hot here recently so can only walk CJ and Toffee when its dark!! Its a bit cooler today so they had a normal morning walk! Do you find that Franklins BG is higher in the hot weather?

Hugs
          Anne-Marie and CJ
          Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Hi everyone and thank you all for the birthday wishes

Franklin has been doing really well following the surgery, although last week I noticed his left eye was weird. The whole coloured part where its normally brown was kind of navy, and every time I tried to do a menace test he'd squint.

Took him to gp vet and she diagnosed a shallow corneal ulcer, corneal edema, uveitis and something I didn't quite catch, all in the left eye. She rang the surgeon to double check regarding his eye drops, and was put on flamixin anti biotic ointment. The next day was our check up with the opthamologist, and by that time, the ulcer had fully healed Eye doc said the ulcer was in the perfect spot for cell turnover to heal it quickly. (Right where the coloured part joins the white part).

Franklin is now only on prednefrin forte eye drops twice a day, and the eye vet is very happy with his progress. Our next check up is in May. I asked about the risk factors after the surgery (glaucoma, persistent inflammation, retinal detachment) and how long they remain a risk factor for. He said that the risks are now normal. I said woo hoo! and asked if that meant Franklin is allowed to kill his toys again now (I found out after his birthday elephant that he shouldn't shake his head ) and the eye vet watched the elephant clip and said noooo, not for at least another few weeks, preferably never, but definitely not in the near future. Oops. And eek!

The stitches are dissolving, they're turning red. Thankfully the surgeon told me weeks ago that they turn red and it's normal, otherwise they'd have gotten a panicked phone call from me already.

Anne Marie, I have noticed Franklin's sugars can be higher in hot weather, but it's kind of odd. Sometimes they're great and other times they're in the mid to high teens. Franklin is a big believer in keeping the mystery alive
            So glad to hear you've had some cooler weather and CJ and Toffee are enjoying their morning walks.

Love and hugs to all
            Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

That is great news that Franklin is doing so well after the surgery - luckily you picked up on the corneal ulcer and were able to get it sorted quickly. Just so pleased for you that it is such a success!! Way to go Franklin! CJ has an elephant that he shakes and throws around the place - poor Franklin not being able to play with his new toy
              Hugs
              Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

He said that the risks are now normal. I said woo hoo! and asked if that meant Franklin is allowed to kill his toys again now (I found out after his birthday elephant that he shouldn't shake his head ) and the eye vet watched the elephant clip and said noooo, not for at least another few weeks, preferably never, but definitely not in the near future. Oops. And eek!
                Hahaha...poor Franklin
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Great news that he is doing well. I know what you mean about the red eyes - my vet had also prepared me for that but it was still hard to look at without cringing. They look kinda scary after the surgery but once Maggie could open her eyes, she actually saw me for the first time all over again and was wagging her tail and wiggling all over. It made me cry because I was so overjoyed. I know she is tough enough to have handled being blind. I am just glad she didn't have to do it.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

glad he is doing well. And I'm sure the elephant is happy to live another day!
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Great news on Franklin!! Too bad you can't kill his elephant.
                      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Hi Jane and Franklin!

How is the little man doing?

Hugs

Comment

Hi Jane

Just wondered how Franklins check up went with his eye doc? Hope everything is ok with you guys.

Anne -Marie and CJ xx

Comment

Hi Anne Marie and everyone,

Thanks for thinking about us, didn't realise I'd been away so long Franklin is doing great His eye doc is very happy with his progress, and has also now given permission for killing toys so Franklin is thrilled with that!

He's still got tiny little scars on his eyes where the incisions were done, but the doc said that's totally normal for this length of time after the surgery, and they'll continue to heal over the next couple of years. Diabetes is going well, and I'm planning on doing a curve in the next couple of days. Shh!

I notice CJ has a new picture as your avatar, he looks so cute!

Again, thank you.
                            Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Good to hear from you Jane! Love that Franklin was given the green light to kill his toys again
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks for the update Jane - great to hear good news on Franklin and that he is throwing his toys around again! And of course that the the eye op has been so successful !! You must be thrilled that he is doing so well. Glad you like CJs new pic! He is such a poser.

Hugs

Comment

Working...
                                X