• Show
Clear All

• Black Magic has departed

Name: Black Magic
    Breed: Minature Schnauzer - 11 y.o.
    Weight: 28 # before diagnosis, 24.5 # currently
    Diet: Science Diet R/D, 1 cp twice a day
    Insulin: Vetsulin U-40
    Injections: Started at 6 units once/day, now at 10 units twice/day and BG at 400 last week - returning to vet

Black Magic did the norm, drinking excessively and urinating in the house, vet started him on Vetsulin in early November 2008. His weight dropped rapidly as did his muscle tone and at Thanksgiving he was so weak in the hindquarters that he could barely walk. Continued weekly testing and insulin adjustment - now his weight has stabilized and his energy level, alertness, and strength are improving every day. Blood glucose remains above 400 even with the twice per day insulin. More testing this next week. Two kinds of Cushings tests were negative. Looking forward to getting the B.G. back into normal ranges.

Re: Welcome Black Magic

Welcome to you and Black Magic!

Gosh, I'm starting to think that if I was going to get a mini Schnauzer I'd just lay in the diabetes supplies right up front!

Glad you're continuing to test and monitor - are you testing blood glucose at home?

Vetsulin rarely ever works once a day - I wish they'd stop trying to sell it as a potentially once a day insulin. There's really no reason to expect it to work that way. He's coming up now on an average dose for his size so you should start to see better results in the next few weeks.

Natalie

Comment

Welcome to the board bontemp and Black Magic.
      I'm glad you found us, in time things will all be ok.
      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Welcome Black Magic

Injections: Started at 6 units once/day, now at 10 units twice/day and BG at 400 last week - returning to vet

Black Magic did the norm, drinking excessively and urinating in the house, vet started him on Vetsulin in early November 2008. His weight dropped rapidly as did his muscle tone and at Thanksgiving he was so weak in the hindquarters that he could barely walk. Continued weekly testing and insulin adjustment - now his weight has stabilized and his energy level, alertness, and strength are improving every day. Blood glucose remains above 400 even with the twice per day insulin. More testing this next week. Two kinds of Cushings tests were negative. Looking forward to getting the B.G. back into normal ranges.
        1-21-2009 update - B.G. tests showed 400 AM, 280, back to 400 in PM so vet said to go to 12 units Vetsulin 2X/day - energy level and alertness are good
        3-02-2009 update - B.G. tests getting better, now ranging from 125-275 with 13 units 2X/day, weight 25#
        5-18-2009 update - weight 25.5#, still at 13 units 2X/day, double cataract surgery this week and successful
        Last edited by bontemp; 05-20-2009, 04:49 AM. Reason: update

Comment

3-02-2009 update - B.G. tests getting better, now ranging from 125-275 with 13 units 2X/day, weight 25
          Congratulations!!!! I'll bet you are so excited about this!

Natalie

Comment

Great News !
            Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

bontemp - So glad to hear that Black Magic is getting into a nice therapeutic range. That has to be quite a relief to you. I notice a little bit of weight gain too - nice added bonus.

Janie

Comment

Hi and welcome to you and Black Magic. Happyto hear that bg's are getting better. Good luck to the two of you.

Luv,
                Lynne and Lady
                Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Black Magic on the Road to Recovery

11 y.o. Black Schnauzer, diagnosed with diabetes in late 2008, lost weight and noticeable muscle mass in his hind legs until we got his insulin level stabilized. Around Thanksgiving he was so weak that he could not climb stairs and could barely walk. Has recovered his weight and his feisty attitude. Cushings tests, so far, are negative. But then -- he went blind in both eyes over a period of 4 weeks but double cataract surgery last week brought him back and it looks like he'll have good sight.

Comment

Re: Black Magic on the Road to Recovery

That is good to hear..... I'm thinking of having the cataract surgery done as well (trying to stabilize my dogs bg's better though right now)- eye doctor appt. on Saturday as my dog has cataracts in both eyes as well. Please keep us posted as this is a topic I'm very interested in- I will do the same.

Comment

Re: Black Magic on the Road to Recovery

Originally posted by bontemp View Post
                      11 y.o. Black Schnauzer, diagnosed with diabetes in late 2008, lost weight and noticeable muscle mass in his hind legs until we got his insulin level stabilized. Around Thanksgiving he was so weak that he could not climb stairs and could barely walk. Has recovered his weight and his feisty attitude. Cushings tests, so far, are negative. But then -- he went blind in both eyes over a period of 4 weeks but double cataract surgery last week brought him back and it looks like he'll have good sight.
                      Glad to hear the good news Sounds like you are doing great

Comment

It's nice to hear from you and learn that things are cruising along!

Natalie

Comment

Re: Black Magic - Minature Schnauzer

1-21-2009 update - B.G. tests showed 400 AM, 280, back to 400 in PM so vet said to go to 12 units Vetsulin 2X/day - energy level and alertness are good

3-02-2009 update - B.G. tests getting better, now ranging from 125-275 with 13 units 2X/day, weight 25#
                          8-13-2010 update - Magic lost his eyesight in 4-2009 and req'd double cataract surgery which was successful. In 4-2010 one eye began to change color and his eye surgeon said that apparently his body had rejected the lens and he would lose sight in that eye - he did. Magic began to again develop hind leg weakness that got progressively worse in late 5-2010 although his blood glucose remained well regulated with the Vetsulin within normal limits - his weight dropped to 20.5#. Many tests were run to determine the cause of the weakness and muscle atrophy - nothing concrete was found. Then due to failing supplies of Vetsulin we were forced to switch to Humulin N. After a period of reluctance to eat his normal food, Magic seems on the road to recovery with ever increasing energy, hind leg strength, and weight gain. Could it be due to the insulin switch? He's currently on 10 units 2X/day.

Comment

Hi!

I copied your note hear from the Stories thread as many more folks who visit daily will see it here.

Weight loss is very typical of poorly regulated blood sugar and muscles can atrophy if the weight loss is severe...

How is his regulation now on the NPH?

There are other potential causes for the muscle atrophy so if the blood sugar is well regulated, I'd look for other reasons.

Natalie

Comment

Re: Black Magic - Minature Schnauzer

Magic seems on the road to recovery with ever increasing energy, hind leg strength, and weight gain.
                              It's good to hear this
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                              X