Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with stinky harnesses, leashes, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with stinky harnesses, leashes, etc.

We have a drawer full of STINKY harnesses and leashes. Jack does a fair amount of swimming in decent weather so this stuff gets wet, which I understand may be the cause of the odor as much as the dog...

I have tried to clean them with enzyme cleaner and dishwashing soap but they still reek.

Suggestions?

I was thinking maybe vinegar... not sure how they would look after that.

Any helpful hints would be much appreciated.

Jack smells way better than his harness.

Natalie

Re: Help with stinky harnesses, leashes, etc.

Are they nylon? You could try 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water. Hopefully that wouldn't bleach them out too badly.
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Yes, nylon webbing. And they start to smell bad within a few weeks of using them so it gets pricey to just replace them.

Comment

I wash leads and collars in my washing machine. Just pop then in on a cool wash and they come out like new.
        Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

I wash my horse harnesses that are nylon in vinegar and water and they come out fine.
          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Try a little "ODOBAN", from Sams, with the wash in the clothes washer.

Cheers

Harry.

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

We have so many leashes and harnesses - even after donating a bunch to the SPCA - that we can afford to sacrifice a few in the name of science!

Natalie

Comment

Mine are nylon webbing too. I wash them in the washing machine, warm wash, cool rinse - then I throw them in medium-heat drying - they come out wonderfully well. They are OLD, too - seem to live forever.

I agree with the vinegar idea, if your usual washing techniques don't get all the stink out. Might have to do THREE vinegar washes to get the stuff out!

Fri, 7 Jan 2011 16:35:24 (PST)
                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                CarolW

Comment

Working...
                X