Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kobi...Kevin's New Rescue

Hello everyone,

I wanted to introduce you to Kobi! He is a 3 month old Golden Retriever/Australian Shepherd mix, born blind, and rescued from Alabama. Before I go on, you have to see his pics!! LOL

Does it get any cuter than that??? Sorry, I'm just so happy to have this little guy in my life, and of course I think he's the cutest puppy in the world, but that's par for the course when you're a new Dad I guess!!

Life without Ozzi has been difficult, and I miss him terribly. It is two weeks ago today that I lost him. This house has just not been the same. I realize that we all grieve differently, and for many, a new dog isn't a consideration for months or maybe years. After a week, I couldn't stand it, and started searching for a dog.

Taking Abby's age into account, I was specifically looking for a senior dog, and given my successful, albeit bumpy, experience with diabetes, I wanted to get a senior diabetic. I searched the internet and all of the shelters I could find in New England, and came up with nothing. There were absolutely no diabetic dogs of any age to be found. I contacted a woman in Indiana who shuttles an overpopulation of unwanted rescue dogs monthly to New England where they are adopted, and she tried all of the shelters she deals with in the midwest, and came up with nothing. Then I realized that sadly, diabetic dogs probably do not make it to the shelters. So I wrote to some local vets asking that they contact me if they were going to euthanize a dog just because of diabetes and the family would consider giving him up to me. My own vet said she would let me know if a situation arose that fit the bill.

I had gone to petfinder.com several times, and realized that there is a check box for "special needs" dogs, but never found a diabetic. So I figured I needed to broaden my search. I was committed to getting a special needs dog, and if it wasn't diabetic, it still needed a home where it would be loved. After putting in my zip code, the first special needs dog on the list was a 3 month old puppy who was born blind. I wasn't even considering a puppy, so I moved on, but kept going back to him.

Since Ozzi had become blind from cataracts I figured I had some experience with that, and this could work out. That puppy's face just melted my heart. I contacted the shelter in NH and the owner sent me a very lengthy application on Monday, and I was approved on Tuesday. Kobi (formerly named Bly) was being fostered in a home about 2 hours from where I live, so I had to wait until the foster Mom contacted me. It was hard waiting for her to call because I really wanted to get him asap.

On Tuesday evening about 6pm, I was making spaghetti sauce when the phone rang. It was the foster Mom. She was a very nice person and she said that Bly (now Kobi) needed to get one more set of shots the next day. I asked her if I could pick him up that night, and I would bring him to the vet the next day. She spoke with the owner of the Rescue, and the long and short of it is that the stove was turned off, and I was on my way up to get him.

It was a horribly rainy and windy night. As I got closer to the foster home, I became more enveloped in the mountainous terrain of NH. Mind you, it was now dark, and the very back roads of NH are only a bit wider than a sidewalk! No lights, no cars, few houses. I absolutely could not find the street, and called the foster Mom. She knew where I was, and it turns out I had passed the street....their street was the dirt road with no sign!! Go figure! LOL

I got there, and the family was so nice. Two golden retrievers, three cats, Mom, Dad, and two teenagers. I saw Kobi and fell in love. The rest is history! He is AWESOME! I am having so much fun with him. He will never replace Ozzi, but it sure is nice to have Kobi around!

I brought him to the vet, and she determined that his blindness is not from cataracts, but has to do with the cornea. She suspects exposure to a virus as the culprit. She checked him out and did a cotton test, and believes he sees nothing. I have an appointment tomorrow at 1PM with an ophthalmologist at Angell Memorial in Boston. I'll let you know how it goes.

Kobi has learned to go up the stairs by himself in just two days, and I found some baby stuffed animals that play music for about 30 seconds at a yard sale yesterday, which I'll use to teach him to fetch. He LOVES to run, and here is the result of coming home from the park after running around like a nut:

Kevin
    Last edited by ozzi; 08-29-2010, 08:56 AM.
    Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Re: Kobi...Kevin's New Rescue

Hi Kevin,
    Your new baby is adorable and I'm sure that you two are going to have an awesome time together!! I don't remember posting to you before but I've followed along on your thread a little bit. Your compasson is boundless and I know Ozzi would be so pleased that you are sharing your life with this little bundle of joy!

The Best Friends Santuary in Kanab, Utah has a senior female dog (spaniel mix) named Leah for adoption. She is diabetic and very far away from you but they can work wonders in getting a dog to a new home. Their website is www.bestfriends.org
    Will be checking back for more pictures and updates on Kobi.
    Jo-Ann

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Congrats on the new fur baby - very cute.

What a very lucky pup to have u for a dad!
      Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Aw... what a cute little guy! I am so so so happy for you and for him! What a sweet spot that boy has landed.

Congrats!!

Natalie

Comment

Oh, Kevin - what a LUCKY dog Kobi is! I LOVE the way you went after him - really DRIVEN - with you, literally! I'm so glad you found a new dog so very soon - it took me more than two months to land Camellia!

I LOVE the pictures! I'm SO HAPPY for you and for Kobi, too. He's a wonderful dog - how magnificent that he can manage the stairs already.

I had a weird response to your mention of his going nuts on a run in the park - worrying about glucose levels; HAHAHA! Yet I've adapted to not having such worries with Camellia, either!

Kevin - I KNOW Ozzi is up there with Kwali and Kumbi, approving your choice. He probably sent Kobi to you. These dogs of ours, you know; they do amazing things, even from the Bridge.

Tons of love and hugs to you, from all mine, those at the Bridge and the one on Earth.

Hi Kobi!

Sun, 29 Aug 2010 12:20:48 (PDT)
          http://www.coherentdog.org/
          CarolW

Comment

Kevin - congratulations! What an adorable little guy he is...for now Looks like he's got some big feet on him! He is a very lucky little boy to have you for his dad. Can't wait for the updates

Comment

What a cute furball!!! The sleeping picture definitely shows his golden genes. Totally adorable Kevin. You will have your hands full for sure. What does Abby think?

Keep us posted with Kobi stories
              Patty
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Kevin,

Congratulations on your new little pup. I can certainly see how you couldn't resist him! He doesn't know it yet (or maybe he does!), but Tuesday was his lucky day. I know that you will give him the very best life possible and I think it was so selfless of you to decide to adopt a dog with special needs. I hope you two have many, many wonderful years together; I'm just so happy for you both!

Carolyn
                Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Congratulations!!!!! on your new addition. I am so very happy for you. Kobi is so adorable. Enjoy your precious puppy.
                  Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

He's very cute. I'm so happy for you.

Bonnie and Angel Criss

Comment

Thank you one and all for your wonderful words! This little guy has become the light of my life these days! He is full of energy and truly is a bundle of joy!! I honestly feel blessed to have him in my life.

When Ozzi passed, my cat Zakk had a very difficult time. I know this sounds crazy because I don't typically think of cats as being emotionally attached beyond having a meal ticket...LOL. But Zakk truly loved Ozzi, and the last day of Ozzi's life, Zakk would not leave his side. When I came home without Ozzi, Zakk looked for him, whined, and was generally upset for more than a week. It took about 5 days with Kobi, and now Zakk has a new bff. It's really cute.

Abby, on the other hand, did not seem any different, which I thought was weird since Ozzi always took care of her. Even when I mention his name (usually calling Kobi by the wrong name!), she doesn't respond. This bothered me and I couldn't explain it, but I found out tonight that Abby may have her own problems beyond laryngeal paralysis, which I'll post in her thread. That might explain what I am interpreting as her ambiguity.

In the meantime, Kobi went to the opthamologist at Angell Memorial in Boston today. He had a very thorough exam, lasting about 1 1/2 hours. He is completely blind in the left eye, and they believe he has very minimal but poor vision in the right eye. They suspect some hypoxic event en utero, perhaps malnutrition of his mother or a virus, was responsible for this birth defect. Also his left eye is smaller than the right. The concern going forward is glaucoma, uveitis, and retinal detachment. There is some pupillary response in the right eye, so his optic nerve is working somewhat, but they cannot determine retinal detachment until he is a bit older. We go back in 3 months for a follow-up.

I asked about corneal transplants since my vet thought this could be a possibility, but the opthamologist said transplants wouldn't help his condition. So there really is nothing to do to allow him to see, and I will take him to the opthamologist regularly to watch for any adverse effects that might require intervention over the years. Kobi is otherwise happy and healthy, and I don't believe he cares about seeing anyways....after all, he doesn't even know he is blind! From my perspective, he acts like every other puppy, and I'm having a total blast with him!

Kobi was a trooper today. They checked his eyes for tear production by putting a small strip in both eyes and holding them closed for a full minute. Then they stained his eyes with flourescein and checked them with a black light. And they checked his eye pressures which involved tapping a small instrument on them after using a topical anesthetic. Finally, he had multiple tests with bright lights and lenses and who knows what! Throughout it all he was great, very cooperative, and very well behaved. As usual, the techs swooned all over him...I can't take him anywhere without that happening....he's a total chick magnet!!

So that's the Kobi update. He's doing great overall, and I couldn't be happier with him.

Kevin
                      Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

As usual, the techs swooned all over him...I can't take him anywhere without that happening....he's a total chick magnet!!
                        LOL! I loved the commercials where the guy hands out dogs to guys trying to attract chicks! Even though I can't remember what it was advertising!

Natalie

Comment

Hi Kevin

I was away seeing my granddaughters this week so missed the new baby . He is sooooo adorable and special. I'm so glad you found him for your sake as well as his. He's just precious!!! You have a Kobi and I have a toby Congratulations
                          Last edited by peggy0; 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM.
                          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Peggy,

It was great to hear from you and I'm happy you had the chance to see your granddaughters!! I'm glad you liked my little guy...he is a total sweetie pie!

I always felt that Forbin and Ozzi had a connection in that they went through a few similar things, particularly at the end. You have a Toby and I have a Kobi...I had forgotten that! So our connection continues! That is comforting!!

So happy to see you back!

Kevin

Comment

Kobi the Movie Star!! (Part I)

Yesterday I brought a friend of mine to Beverly Hospital for a lab test, and while he was in the hospital, Kobi and I entertained everyone going in as we sat on a bench outside of the hospital. After about 5 minutes, a guy came up to us and introduced himself as a Beverly Hospital employee and said they had a professional photographer taking pics of people at the hospital for their annual report publication. He asked if they could take pics of Kobi! He took my address and said if I agreed to allow them to photograph him, he would send me copies of the pics in about a month. I had to sign a release with Kobi as the "model" and they took a bunch of pics, including close-ups! I hope one of his pics makes the cut and is included in the publication. If so, this could be the start of something big....LOL! I may need Carol's internet savvy parrot lady friend to start looking for oceanfront homes in Hollywood!
                              Kevin
                              Last edited by ozzi; 09-21-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X