• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A New Canine Companion!

Very cute and congratulations!

Bonnie and Angel Criss

Comment

Thank you, everyone. I feel fortunate to have found so many dog-loving and encouraging friends.

For a dog who is not motivated by food, Izzy really likes chicken! As I said before, we're using that as a treat in her crate. Tuesday, she stayed in the crate for two hours without incident. Today, I had to work--and she was in there for six hours without an accident.

I think the smell of the chicken is on the blanket and she doesn't want to pee there. Of course, she gets a treat just before I/we leave, and that helps. But today she seemed rather nervous when I went to work, so I wasn't sure the pattern would hold.

We're still telling her calmly before we leave that we will be back soon. When I/we come in, I/we always say, "I'm/we're back."

I'm amazed at her ability to adapt. She already looks for a treat on a regular basis. Doesn't always find one, but that doesn't seem to faze her.

Mary
      Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
      Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
      Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
      Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Izzy is really having a difficult time with her paws. She was biting and licking both front paws so much that the hair did not grow over the foot like most Yorkies. The last foster Mom and YSDR thought it was an allergy, so they put her on grain-free food, which helped. Although I've changed brands, she's still on a grain free diet. She continues to lick and bite at especially her left front paw, which she was doing when I got her. She has a small wound over the second claw from the outside (looks like scrape, but it's where she bites). The best I know to describe what I see between the middle two claws of that foot is "a clear, thin liquid which seems to keep her skin raw." Looks like it "cuts" down into her pad. Reminds me of an outbreak of athlete's foot I had years ago.

I've tried a solution of half water, half vinegar because I heard that would fight a yeast growth. She reacted like it really hurt/stung, so I didn't do that again. I've tried Neosporin ointment which seemed to help a little. Now I'm using Lotrimin cream (same as used for athlete's foot). It seems to help some; at least I know it's cool and doesn't burn like the vinegar did.

Does anyone have a better suggestion? We can't get to the vet until a week from Monday. She walks in the grass like it hurts her front pads, which it probably does if they are as tender as our skin gets with athlete's foot. I want to provide relief for her, but don't know what to use.

Would "doggie booties" help?

More questions: would Ocu-Glo slow the growth of cataracts? Is there something I can use to stop the retinal degeneration?

I'm at a loss, having never dealt with these problems before. Suggestions and comments would be appreciated!

Mary
        Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her

Comment

Hi Mary,

My Luke seemed to have a similar problem. One foot was worse than the other and he wouldn't let the vet even look at it. We decided we would try a cortisone cream and that did ease it and nearly clear the pad that was not so bad.

Last option was antibiotics and the cream before we sedated him for a skin scrape and a better look at it. It worked so while we don't know what it was it took antibiotics and some topical cream to clear it up

Jenny

Comment

I've been using Vetricyn. It is veterinary version of new medication called Microcyn - recently FDA approved to treat MRSA. yeast, diabetic wound, etc. It is basically souped water. Safe for dogs to ingest. I've been using it on my pets - seems to work (not necessarily on deep cysts, but skin wounds, ear, etc.)

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...-HydroGel.aspx

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2005/05/67472

You do not need prescription for pets. I get mine from one of the vendors at Amazon.

Yunhee

Comment

It could be both food and environmental allergies also. That's the problem with Buddy. I have a whole assortment of creams/ointments and he was on so many courses of antibiotics, all prescribed by the allergist and our regular vet.

What I found works the best is Zymox and I have been using it for over a year now. I bathe them with the Zymox shampoo, use the cream rinse as well. I check his paws every night and the minute I see the smallest of irritation, I clean it with saline water, dry it and then use the Zymox topical spray. It seems to dry the wound fairly fast. If it is really irritated, I clean and spray 2-3 times per day.

When Cleo has so much pain and was gnawing at her paw, she dug right into her paw with her teeth and left a nasty wound. I did the same thing as I do for Buddy except that I kept the little booty on for about 2-3 days because she was incessant about licking her paw. When we knew that we could watch her and stop her from licking for about an hour or two, then I would remove the booty to let the paw and wound air out. Once it healed, she was OK. I also learned that if their paws are wet, you should dry them as much as possible.

I too tried the water and vinegar and I never heard Buddy yelp so loud. Yes it seems to sting like crazy.

I should also mention that I clean their ears every night with Zymox and Buddy has not had an ear infection in over a year. Yea

Good luck
              Louise
              Last edited by buddingartist; 01-29-2011, 07:36 PM. Reason: adding information

Comment

Thanks so much! I'm going to look into the Vetricyn and Zymox since I can get them without Rx. They both sound promising to me. I'm sure the vet will prescribe some meds if her paw is still irritated when he/she sees us.

Mary

Comment

Mary,
                  Before Harry's diabetes diagnosis, he got some sore paws (exactly between the toes - like yours). This problem responded really well to a 5 minute 2x a day soak in warm water mixed with chlorohexidene soap (I used Duoxo brand purchased from Amazon - much cheaper than getting it at the vet office). It was time consuming, but it worked well.
                  With Harry's recent skin issues, our vet recommended 2x a week bath with chlorohexidene soap to prevent further issues - so far so good (knock on wood). He needs another bath tomorrow.

I am also adding an interesting article from San Francisco Chronicle on how to treat pet allergy and skin infections.
                  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...scol012011.DTL

Yunhee
                  Last edited by HarrysMom; 01-29-2011, 08:46 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

I should also mention that soaking their paw in warm water and epsom salt helps as well. I tried putting him in the sink it was really a pain, tried many other types of container until I spotted a denture container (don't know how else to call it) at the pharmacy. It is just the right size for our little ones.

If there appears to be an infection, you may want to check her gums as licking offers the potential of transferring the infection to the mouth/gums.

Good luck
                    Louise

Comment

Hi Mary,

How are things with Izzie?

Natalie

Comment

Thanks for asking, Natalie.

We have a vet appt on Monday morning. The YSDR people are going to pay for a (fasting) blood panel since she hasn't had one since they've had her. She gets so excited in the car; not sure what that will do to the results of the test.

I have a list of about a dozen questions for the vet, and really hope she/he can give me some meaningful advice. The problem that bothers me the most is her paws--the left one is beginning to clear up with the Lotrimin but I just noticed there's a small spot now on the right front paw, too.

She's so insecure and nervous, probably a result of all the trauma of the past eight months to a year. She does better when I'm at home, but peed in the house twice this week while I was at work. And I thought we had resolved that issue!

I've already told YSDR that I want to adopt her, though. She's sweet and loving inspite of the problems. The house was too empty and quiet without pitter patter of little feet. She sleeps in the bed with me (which Ruffles would never do), but I have to pick her up at night and put her down in the morning. Her vision is not good enough for her to jump up or down due to the height of the bed, I think. She's adjusted to the small steps up/down, going in/out the back door and onto the deck. This cold weather has gotten to her, though. She has favored the back left leg more since the temp dipped to and below freezing.

She's somewhat trained to "come here" and "sit." We're working on "stay." Those commands and the sleeping in bed must have been patterns with whomever had her before she was rescued. No one has worked with her on commands until I got her.

I'll hopefully have an update Monday night.

Mary (didn't mean to make it such a long post!)

Comment

I have used rescue remedy with good success on jesse giving a few drops under her tongue will calm her down after a load noise before she would run and hide and shake it takes a few minutes its like nothing happened I put 4 drops in her water bowl I use the human version no effect on he bgs .
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

One of the many creams/ointments that I tried for Buddy's paws was the Rescue cream and it seemed to really sooth the burning and itching. It flower based. The drops were also recommended by the person I spoke with but I hesitated about buying the drops as I did not know anyone who had used it

Another thing Mary that you may want to ask for (if they are paying for it) is a scraping. Although it was inconclusive for Buddy, we at least knew that there was no mites and no major bacteria.

Just a thought. Good luck

Louise

Comment

Louise and JessieGirl, my thanks to both of you.

I ran across the Rescue Remedy for humans several years ago, but had forgotten about it. I did not know there was a Rescue Cream, but when I googled Rescue Remedy, I found a list of items. Only one is not recommended for animals because of having xylitol in it.

I will definitely ask the vet about these, but won't be surprised if he/she has never heard of them. Personally, I suspect they work for dogs just as well as for humans.

Mary

Comment

It might take her a while to realize she's now safe and home to stay but I bet she is already learning that she's a very lucky girl to have wound up with you.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X