Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Hoping for stories of Chris and others who have gone before

LOL, I do remember the "stick" story Allison.

What a beautiful place Callendar park is to walk the dogs! Alfie really scored on getting "lost." He cracks me up pawing at the door. They have such great memories, don't they?!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 PM

Allison, what a wonderful place to walk....

I just love Alfie stories... He has such a personality, doesn't he? Their noses certainly tend to pick up the worse things.... You are a brave soul to have kept holding that deer leg.... Jenny.. I agree. Yuk, yuk, yuk.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Barb, your paint paw print story is too funny! Abby looks like such a lady it's hard to imagine her running through the house leaving a trail behind her. I'm glad you were able to get things cleaned and that nobody was any worse for the wear.

Allison, I thought you were going to say the 'stick' was a snake. Not sure which would be worse, a deer leg or a snake - yuck either way! I hope you and Alfie and company are all doing well. Look forward to more of his entertaining stories.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:47 PM

Tara,

We've been trying to come up with the most memorable stories about Ruffles. We had her for almost 14 years, so there are several available! We came up with three: two are hilarious and the third, well it might have only been funny to us (or someone who has a similar memory). Ruffles would eat almost anything! The stories center around that trait since it was so predominant.

1) We had taken in an orphan turquoise parakeet at one time. Charlie was friendly, pretty and nice to have around. His one besetting sin was that he liked to play with the latch on his cage and get out to fly around the room. More than once we had to quickly turn off the ceiling fan to avoid having a headless flier. One day when Leah came home from work, Charlie was not in his cage. As she looked around the room, she saw feathers on the floor and noticed Ruffles was paying alot of attention to the couch which was along one wall of the room. Sure enough, Charlie had taken refuge from Ruffles behind the couch--and had more than a few feathers missing to show for his bravery. He also had diarrhea for two days!

2) We had a college student living with us for several years also. (OK, so we rescue both two- and four-legged people and animals!) Anyway, she talked us into letting her bring her cat. She kept Scherzo's food in her bedroom and the litter box in her bathroom. We had to keep a baby gate in her doorway so Scherzo could come and go but Ruffles could not get the cat food. One weekend, she purchased an automatically refilling feeder (like a slot machine where you hit the jackpot every single time) so that she could load food in the tube and Scherzo could eat during the daytime. One day when Leah came home, she reached down to pick up Ruffles and was greeted with a yelp. Ruffles' tummy was extremely distended! (You saw this coming, right?) The baby gate was not securely fastened and Ruffles got into the bedroom and ate several pounds of catfood. A quick call to the vet assured us that she would probably be OK but her stools would look funny for a couple of days. Just monitor her, we were told, and let us know if anything unusual surfaces. We put her on a forced fast and all was OK, believe or not.

3) One evening Leah prepared speghetti and meat sauce for supper. She put some in a bowl and set it on the coffee table to watch TV while she ate. At one point she needed to go to the back of the house for something and so she pushed the table away from the couch. When she returned, Ruffles was stretched between them--back feet on the couch and front feet on the table--with her head inside the bowl, eating as fast as she could. When Leah got the bowl away from her, she had plenty of evidence on her muzzle. She could not plead innocence--too late for that.

Then there was the time she tried to play with a skunk in the back yard. That was only funny after the fact! Leah had to give her multiple baths in tomato sauce.

Enough!

Mary
Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Oh Mary, what stories . Rufflies certainly knew how to find a good meal!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 PM

Oh Mary, these are hilarious stories about Ruffles...and no bad endings. When you started #1 about the parakeet, prefacing it with "she liked to eat everything" I said "OH NO!" Glad she only got feathers.

We had a shorthair that was skin and bones when we got him and always acted like he was starving even after he gained back his weight plus a bit more. Jim always said he was like the dog in cartoons that eats the stick of dynamite and then burps.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Tara