Humulin N vs Novolin N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Humulin N vs Novolin N

Just wanted to add this comment: I let Zoe go 13.5 hrs this morning without her food/shot (cuz i went to bed at 2) and when I tested her, she was only 245 or so, which was surprising to me. I expected her to be high. Do you think novolin is just slow to absorb but then lasts longer? This evening I tested before dinner and she was almost the same 245 (that was after 12 hrs). Anyway, perhaps this insulin just operates differently, slow absorption? I will do a curve soon.
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

well with no food in the system may just carry through it really difficult to figure out there basal needs but it may show zoes basal needs maybe slow and steady with no big fluctuations of coarse insulin maybe extended also

with jesses period with out a meal but she gets a snack after her nadir she is flat for maybe 5 or 6 hours her numbers barely move during that period but once she eats and given a shot she will jump up

i think the basal side of the equation is something i understand a bit with jesses unique routine

for zoe it may show food is fully digested and has no influence at the time which is good not seeing any overlap with digestion form last meal the reason we took jesse to one meal is because i believed this was occurring with her
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by Cebe View Post
        Just wanted to add this comment: I let Zoe go 13.5 hrs this morning without her food/shot (cuz i went to bed at 2) and when I tested her, she was only 245 or so, which was surprising to me. I expected her to be high. Do you think novolin is just slow to absorb but then lasts longer? This evening I tested before dinner and she was almost the same 245 (that was after 12 hrs). Anyway, perhaps this insulin just operates differently, slow absorption? I will do a curve soon.
        It sounds like Zoe and Tig are reacting the exact same to this stuff. She too got her injection late last night.... Stuck in San Francisco traffic ugh!! It was 13.5 hours and she was at 232. This morning at 12 hrs she was 254 Go figure

Sandy

Comment

I switched Abby over to Novolin on Wednesday, I certainly didn't plan for this is align with Thanksgiving, but perhaps it worked out best, as I was home just cooking.

First day, I actually like the way it was affecting her numbers, and it seemed like that we got some flat numbers, but day two was sort of a disaster. Found that the Novolin had quite a bit of punch about hour 2-3, and then towards fasting she was about 500 .

I rebalanced her millet, provided a little more ( I had back down to 1 Tablespoon, but now add the 1 Tsp back in), and it seems like we are getting better numbers, and that drop in the AM is not occuring, and her fasting numbers have been in the 200s, or even one morning she was in the mid 100s.

I too find that we get more than 12 hours, if I can stop the drop in the morning, but if I overcompensate, then we get some overlap. All in all, I have not found too much of a difference, as we had this problem before with Humulin, as Abby is NEVER consistent.
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
            I switched Abby over to Novolin on Wednesday, I certainly didn't plan for this is align with Thanksgiving, but perhaps it worked out best, as I was home just cooking.

First day, I actually like the way it was affecting her numbers, and it seemed like that we got some flat numbers, but day two was sort of a disaster. Found that the Novolin had quite a bit of punch about hour 2-3, and then towards fasting she was about 500 .

I rebalanced her millet, provided a little more ( I had back down to 1 Tablespoon, but now add the 1 Tsp back in), and it seems like we are getting better numbers, and that drop in the AM is not occuring, and her fasting numbers have been in the 200s, or even one morning she was in the mid 100s.

I too find that we get more than 12 hours, if I can stop the drop in the morning, but if I overcompensate, then we get some overlap. All in all, I have not found too much of a difference, as we had this problem before with Humulin, as Abby is NEVER consistent.
            it is amazing how the carbs really can flatten things out and show you do have to interrupt the drop if not the body will take care of it and that has less control might have to add an extra biscuit to the equation not long for jesse to make the switch back

glad you were able to get some balance barb
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

It's nice to read through what you're doing Barb. I had to back down Ali's dose initially because of that early drop too. May have been due to some overlap. Glad to hear you're balancing things out.
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
              X