Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Linda and Ladybug

Linda,

Millet worked for Abby if you can find it to stop the drop. Just another suggestion for a complex carb.

It is wonderful that you were able to drop insulin dosages by switching food, and getting good regulation.

Barb
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Linda,
      My Teddy had those same symptoms plus ear infections years ago. When I eliminated wheat and beef from his diet we saw a huge improvement.
      Margaret
      Margaret; Teddy is a 10 year old 40 lb. cockapoo; relion-Novolin-N 2x - 17 units; Natural balance fish and sweet potato; blind from cataracts and glaucoma

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for all the great advice. I learned a lot today! I now know the difference between simple and complex carbs.

I'll just try one thing at a time and hope no more allergies develop.

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

It is amazing how diverse dogs are in what they are allergic to. Chris did great with rice but the barley that was being put into so many of the high-end diets was a problem for him. He also had problems with soy.

For every ingredient out there, there's a dog allergic to it.

It's one of the frustrating things about some of the high end diets that throw in a little bit of everything. There are very few simple ingredient commercial diets available.

Natalie

Comment

thanks for replying Natalie...

I took Ladybug off everything for a week except her WD canned and dry. Going to let her system wash out. I did find whole wheat orzo but then started reading about wheat allergies so I don't know if I'm going to give that to her or not. I was thinking about whole grain oats....I eat them 4-5 times a week and always give her a tablespoon or so and she loves them. I'll see in a week or so and just take baby steps. She is just so thin and I want her to gain at least 2-3 pounds but even then, she will still be skinny for her size.

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

Need some help...something just happened that really scared me.

Everything has been going fine. Ladybug's bg before dinner was 179. Gave her normal dinner and shot of 5-1/2 units. After her dinner we always go outside in the yard.

All of a sudden, she was walking like she was drunk and couldn't stand up. I carried her in the house and put her in the living room. She was sitting and moving her head every which way, not shaking, more like twitching. I got her to lay down so I could test her sugar because I thought maybe I hade hit a blood vessel when I gave her the shot. Her sugar had shot up to 259 in 10 minutes.

After the test, she stood up then vomited half her dinner. Then she just stood there very quiet and didn't move for about 5 minutes.

Now she's acting just fine but tired.

Is this a seizure? I'm scared to death right now.

Linda

Comment

jesse really shoots up after her epileptic seizure and does sound similar as far as starting off but definitely you did not get to a grand mal type if it was a seizure

vomiting is rare for jesse during a seizure maybe once and she has been epileptic all her life its more common to see a bowl movement

i have had problems with my ears all my life with inner ear infection will make me dizzy and that will make me nausea's but it does not go away quickly
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

It sounds like a seizure, but I am not an expert in this area. IF you hadn't tested her and given a shot I would have thought immediately that she was going too low w/ too much insulin on board, but you checked her numbers.

Others will chime in, but check her numbers every hour just to be sure she is okay there.

So sorry, that is a very scary thing to happen.

On 9/18 you wrote:

Now to the rice...about 2 weeks ago, she started itching and chewing. I checked her body and found nothing except one or two little red bumps. She started rubbing her eyes and licking her paws. Then her bark changed which was really strange, it was as if she had a sore throat or something stuck. Also, she couldn't hear as well. Everything started within the same period of 2 weeks. I could tell she wasn't feeling well.

If you take her to the vet because of this latest incident, I would tell him/her about this itching episode and the two little red bumps. It was likely the rice as you stated, but just to be sure she wasn't bit by something that caused a delayed reaction (doubtful) but just wanted to mention it.

Let us know how Ladybug is doing.
                  Scooter, Born 1/12/2003, passed away 8/2013~10 lb Maltese, dx 3/2010, lived a happy life.

Comment

Just check her again...295 at 7:05. I don't understand that fast of a rise. Could that maybe be the problem?

Comment

for jesse it is a cause an effect. the cause for jesse is the seizure the effect quick spike in blood sugar it could be over a 100 points in 15 minutes and will continue to clime till it tops out

there is usually some resistance to insulin after this affect for jesse for a day sometimes less sometimes more

the reason i dont think the cause was from spiking blood sugar is the fasting was in a good range and then you saw the episode

only thing jesse gets from spiking blood sugar is lethargy

maybe just an odd ball thing but something to be on the look out for take notes and put down as much info as you can . might take a look at some videos of seizures in dogs hard to watch but may be able to determine if this is what ladybug experienced
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

I don't think a rise of 100 points alone would cause that type of reaction.
                        Scooter, Born 1/12/2003, passed away 8/2013~10 lb Maltese, dx 3/2010, lived a happy life.

Comment

Jesse girl,

Thanks so much for all your input, and I do hope this is just an oddball thing. I know it's not vestibular disease, my Coco had that and her very first attack lasted for hours. Ladybug's episode didn't last long at all and she is her old self right now, her bg is down to 223. I gave her a little dry food only because she vomited half her dinner and I don't want a hypo.

I watched all the videos when Patty's Ali was having seizures and Ladybug had nothing like that at all. I'll check YouTube tomorrow and see if I can pinpoint what happened to Ladybug and post the link.

Thanks sooo much..

Linda

Comment

I just checked on YouTube and of all the videos I looked at, Ladybug had a petit mal seizure. She's been completely normal for a little over two hours so I have to go to bed now and cuddle her close. She just hit her 5-year diabetes anniversary...

I will do a ton of research tomorrow and pray it doesn't happen again.

Linda

Comment

its not uncommon to see a seizure in a dog for many reasons i think the understanding on how it all works isn't to good

what you like to look for is triggers for jesse it could be a loud noise that scares her .

i guess there are many things on the list from environmental , different chemicals and stuff like that . maybe an infection the list can be endless like we talked about sometimes they have one and never see another one .

hope you dont see another in your ladybug it is scary to observe but from everyone i talk to they feel no pain during the episode . these are humans

jesse jumps right back just like your ladybug and never knew it happen the problem for the dog parents we do

Comment

Definitely a concern Linda. So glad you tested her or I'd have thought low bg as well. The incident on 9/18 is worth adding to this new episode in my book. I'd give the vet a call. When was her last lab work done.

Cuddle her for us too! Glad you fed a bit more to prevent a low with her vomiting.
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X