My angel Pedro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My yorkie been diagnosed with diabetes

Sounds like your vets want total control and that's putting themselves first, instead of your dog's health. The UK can't be that restrictive that you can't do some things at home.
    You can buy a meter and test blood sugar. If the dog has pancreatitis, he should be in a hospital on IV and an insulin drip to bring the high sugar down.

Remember the golden rule, "he who has the gold makes the rules."
    You pay the money, you determine what happens. If they aren't putting your dog first, pay another vet to do the right thing.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
      Many dogs who were diagnosed with pancreatitis need medical treatment for at a minimum a week . They need to receive IV fluids to give the pancreas a rest

My jesse spent 10 days at the hospital . It was very expensive but she was young and wanted to give her a chance . That was 8 years ago . You may want to ask your vet for IV fluids and how to give them

It can take weeks or months to see any progress in blood sugar . Remember pancreatitis if thats what your pup has is painful and may need some pain medication also . That why you may see more panting than normal
      i just rang...he been in since a.m. he has inflammation of liver today has urine infection.white blood cells reading hgh.raging white blood cell gone up...her words....sodium better at 44.urine was 8 and gone down a little.responded to food syringe..only sicked bit up as still wont eat....since monday no food.10ml thread insulin.so worried..i get him in 3 hours for the night she said she show me how to do fluid syringe in his mouth

Comment

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
        Sounds like your vets want total control and that's putting themselves first, instead of your dog's health. The UK can't be that restrictive that you can't do some things at home.
        You can buy a meter and test blood sugar. If the dog has pancreatitis, he should be in a hospital on IV and an insulin drip to bring the high sugar down.

Remember the golden rule, "he who has the gold makes the rules."
        You pay the money, you determine what happens. If they aren't putting your dog first, pay another vet to do the right thing.
        he has pancreatis and today inflammation of liver/urine infection..ragng white blood cell gone up.sorry cant type atm...heartbroken...i get him home at 6.30pm uk time

Comment

Hope thing work out . your little guy is a fighter

Prayers for a positive outcome
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I agree with what Raysaint says...you need to possibly find a better vet. It's ridiculous that the vet is only thinking about money...vets should be more caring and loving with animals and put them first.

Here in Canada you are not allowed to take home the IV drip with the needle connected inside him but you are allowed to take home IV and inject it under the skin. Maybe ask them to do that...? My vet (being friends with my brother in law) actually suggested that my dog stay over night for a few nights to get continuous IV so it can continue to go in his body so he let my dog stay for a few nights even though they're not a 24/7 vet. It is so important to get continuous IV in them...Because when Mochi was diagnosed with pancreatitis and liver problems he would look perky and excited to see me at night when I go pick him up from the vet..he would eat a bit at night and then the very next morning he would be lethargic and unresponsive again. That happened literally for a whole week and a half before we decided to keep him over night for 3 days of continuous fluids. Then he was finally himself again and we just had to do the IV injections at home for another week.

Be strong...I know its tough..as you can see I still panic and having a bit of issues but be positive. Remember you are paying all this money to save your baby...if you have a bad feeling about your vet you definitely need to go to another.

My Mochi looks small in pictures but he's actually a 13pound big ball of a pom. He has to lose a bit of weight though..
            Last edited by k9diabetes; 03-15-2018, 03:01 PM. Reason: Natalie: regarding photo request
            Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
            Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
            Had cataract surgery June 2016.
            On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Originally posted by Lchow022 View Post
              I agree with what Raysaint says...you need to possibly find a better vet. It's ridiculous that the vet is only thinking about money...vets should be more caring and loving with animals and put them first.

Here in Canada you are not allowed to take home the IV drip with the needle connected inside him but you are allowed to take home IV and inject it under the skin. Maybe ask them to do that...? My vet (being friends with my brother in law) actually suggested that my dog stay over night for a few nights to get continuous IV so it can continue to go in his body so he let my dog stay for a few nights even though they're not a 24/7 vet. It is so important to get continuous IV in them...Because when Mochi was diagnosed with pancreatitis and liver problems he would look perky and excited to see me at night when I go pick him up from the vet..he would eat a bit at night and then the very next morning he would be lethargic and unresponsive again. That happened literally for a whole week and a half before we decided to keep him over night for 3 days of continuous fluids. Then he was finally himself again and we just had to do the IV injections at home for another week.

Be strong...I know its tough..as you can see I still panic and having a bit of issues but be positive. Remember you are paying all this money to save your baby...if you have a bad feeling about your vet you definitely need to go to another.

Go to your profile and edit, that's where you can put a picture up of your baby. My Mochi looks small in pictures but he's actually a 13pound big ball of a pom. He has to lose a bit of weight though..
              Thank you.i go to collect him soon..it has cost £360 she said on the phone for today...extra tests ..his white blood cells reading high ...liver swollen has urine infection but gone down a bit.They will show me when i get him how to do nutrient syringe.cant do insulin at this time as needs to be more stable and need a correct dose if do it at home.cant have in in overnight vet that is £1000 minimun funds are slowly going...just hope get a diagnosis to be treated if he can pull thru before this happens.going to collect him soon.Thank you

Comment

Hang in there. I agree that your little guy is a fighter and we are all beaming him positive energy. Very relieved to hear he's getting insulin.

And yes, here folks have done subcutaneous fluids generally, not IV fluids. But subQ fluids can really help flush things out and keep them hydrated.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by rossmullen View Post
                  he has pancreatis and today inflammation of liver/urine infection..ragng white blood cell gone up.sorry cant type atm...heartbroken...i get him home at 6.30pm uk time
                  It is a thousand a night minimun at the pet hospital ,,,i do not have that kind of money..i have no prt insurance and have been paying it all out of my bank...not credit card as i dont have one..it was 380 pounds just for today,i have spent over a grand in four day and money is running out.I am trying my best keeping him in vets from morn til early eve.he is completly exhausted tonight.His liver is badly swollen

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                    Hope thing work out . your little guy is a fighter

Prayers for a positive outcome
                    hes very tired tonight.he had a lot of examinations and drips injections today,,he cant lift his head.was very alert last night now exhausted

Comment

Is he still on pain meds? If so, that could be contributing significantly to his being lethargic.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                        Is he still on pain meds? If so, that could be contributing significantly to his being lethargic.

Natalie
                        i fell asleep for an hour..no sleep in 4 days.found him upsatais under bed where he used to sleep.got him back down.he had been sick...just clear water,his breathing is very slow im worried
                        yes on pain meds

Comment

when my dog had pancreatitis she puked and was lethargic. They feel miserable. hang in there
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                            when my dog had pancreatitis she puked and was lethargic. They feel miserable. hang in there
                            I am so worried.his breathing has gone from fast to very slow.he is just lifeless..has been since i brought him home.he was very alert last night now the opposite.i think im gonna lose him

Comment

The pain meds might be part of it. I’m sure your scent and gentle touch are comforting him. You are doing everything you can. I’ll be thinking of you and your boy
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

My baby died in my arms earlier...they could have controlled the diabetes it was the pancreas that was severly damaged.i begged for one night with him but he was so poorly.i am devastated .my best friend my child my son.its only been hours and i miss him so much.im hysterical

Comment

Working...
                                X