Business related to new diabetic dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business related to new diabetic dog

I am interested in what others think of a business idea. I am retired and looking for a business that involves an area of interest to me.

Idea: Offer service to vets and their patients to meet with new parents of diab dogs and show them how to test and meaning of result, be with them for support the first time they test, make video showing testing in various areas of body and when to shave, keep good meters in stock so they can purchase a meter immediately, discuss reasons for particular kind of insulin prescribed, give list of valuable web sites such as this one, teach about 2 hour curve and when to do one, when to call vet, what to do for hypoglycemia and signs, any other info vet wants them to have. Some of better dog foods and amount (type recommended and probably sold by vet.) Importance of weight loss or gain. Effects of infection and medications.

In other words a lesson on all the things I've learned even though my vet did not tell me. This could be organized in a notebook to leave with family after I've gone over it with them.

This could also be done in a lecture format at vets office for more than one family at a time.

A vet in my vet's office told me recently that only one in ten of her patients did home testing and she was very impressed that I did and said, "it makes my job a lot easier."

I would charge a fee for this service (to be determined but affordable).

There are many vets in my area, Nashville Tn. I could also market to people by leaving info about how to recognize symptoms and choose a vet and include a description of my services.

What do you think? Anyone could eventually get all this info but it would give it to them immediately along with access to meter and support and encouragement in using it.

If you think this is a good idea and would like to use it you are welcome.

Re: Business related to new diabetic dog

its a very good idea as long as you dont give specific dosing requirements for individuals where liability can be a problem

i think on the forum we can be a bit more flexible because its not a businesses but caretakers that give information and sometimes some recommendations on dosing

we are not medical professionals . that doesn't make us any less qualified on this subject and in most cases we are the expert of our individual dogs

finding vet practices to let someone into there field without any credentials maybe difficult to accomplish . putting a monetary value on it is another thing
    but veterinarian practices in the end are based on results which brings revenue to sustain the business so if your able to improve the results of a practice they may see the benefit
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Oh, absolutely no prescribing and no criticizing or opining on what the vet has prescribed even if I have opinions. I would have to set up apt w vets to make presentation and if consult requested would give form for vet to add anything he wants covered and keep that on file for his clients. I am a retired nurse, massage therapist, addiction and co-dependency counselor and medical transcriptionist and I've started businesses in almost all of these disciplines and love the energy that comes with this. My first thought was to offer to do some of this to my vet but there would be expenses and some people (believe it or not) who can't take something that is free but can pay for it. I guess they think you get what you pay for. I would never refuse anyone who could not afford to pay but needed help.

Comment

well you do have some credentials which should be appealing and experience with diabetes

yes i would test the waters with your vet . the hard part is staying out of there business even if you dont agree

as you know its a difficult disease for everyone to be on the same page

good luck
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

The idea of vets practice being to sustain revenue is thought provoking. If I teach people to do 2 hr test that is going to take away from their income so I probably should leave that part out or ask vet if he wants that included. Some, who are very busy might like that while others would not. I could also offer to be available to answer questions, not related to treatment, which would save them time. Many of us are fearful at first and call with a lot of questions borne out of lack of experience. Thank you so much for your ideas, it has opened up my thinking about some aspects that had not occurred to me and I'm sure there will be many more.

Comment

Anybody have ideas for a good name for this service? All I've thought of so far is, "Yes You Can". Maybe, "For Love Of A Dog"??

Comment

Hi and welcome

how is your pet doing on this diabetes journey?

mo
              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I think most vets wouldn't go for this type of thing because they like to control the patients and it would take away from their income. My vet could tell you I very rarely darken his door and pretty much have Maggie's problem diagnosed..UTI, pancreatitis, ear infection, before I get there. I would see a problem if your advice was not agreeing with their treatment plan and I would have to say something instead of staying silent (kinda like we do on the forum when we think a vet is not doing the right thing). I think that a decent vet wouldn't really need you and one who was not so good would be infuriating, at least it would to me.

Another potential problem would be that the clients probably would call you instead of going to the vet when the dog is in trouble - I don't know if I would want the responsibility or somebody calling middle of the night when they should go to the er.

Through the forum, it is different, as we are all helping each other and I continually learn from the members here and learn something new every week. There are so many facets of this disease and so many other concurrent conditions that can come into play. Although, I think I can provide some expertise in some areas of managing a diabetic dog, bringing money into the equation changes things for other's expectations.

I admire the entrepreneur spirit and it is an interesting idea - so many vets have such big egos it is hard to see them going for it.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                X