Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
    That's still a dangerous strategy, giving insulin before food, in case the dog doesn't eat.
    Better to get the dose increase going week after week and work towards decent fasting sugar levels.
    I agree with that
    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
    Diabetes: Aug 2013
    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone. My vet told me to increase his insulin to seven units tonight and get it after he eats. That is what I'm going to do. Keep your fingers crossed.
      15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

Gave Yukon 7 units at 6:45 pm after dinner and took BG at 8:25 pm. It was 334.
        15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

that sounds very promising!
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Well we are back up to 744 BG this morning before his first insulin shot

We still have the appointment with the internal med doctor on the 29th. I hope she can figure out how to control everything.

Comment

But don't forget, it takes a few days for the body to adjust to, and properly process, a new dose. Do not base anything on one reading, especially the first day of a new dose.

Diabetes is not mathematical, and the body is not a machine.
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

We have been in the high 300/low 400's in the morning with the 7 units of Vetsulin the last few days. I brought a urine sample to the vet and she said it was very diluted and the sugar was 1,000. I noticed that Yukon has been licking his privates that last couple days, but the vet said he did not have a UTI or Bladder Infection.

Don't you have to do a urine culture to determine a UTI?

Comment

Pretty sure a culture is the sure way to test for infection.

Your current sugar levels will show a bit of sugar in the urine, that's normal, as long as it doesn't approach ketones.
                  My dog is regulated, and he showed a bit of sugar in his urine in the spring, plus a few crystals. Last urinalysis {2 weeks ago) showed everything was clear. Things can come and go.
                  Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Went to the internal doctor last Monday and she did an ultrasound and said all Yukons organs look good for his age. Raised his insulin to 8 and told me to do a curve Saturday. I did the curve and it appears that his BG spikes incredibly about an hour after his food/insulin. It appears that his low point doesn't occur until almost 10 hours after the shot.

The internal med doctor wanted to do a urinalysis today to rule out a UTI and they called tonight and said no infection but lots of glucose in urine no ketones though. They want me to do another curve this Saturday and then the internal medicine doctor will make a decision I guess whether or not we should switch his insulin.

I have noticed some sticky spots on my floor in various areas and he still licking his privates. I'm getting a little discouraged with all these doctors and we are pretty much the same place we were six weeks ago.

Comment

seems with my dog his bg rose an hour to an hour and a half after food and insulin was due to giving too much food and or an ingredient in the food had some sugar so the food intake went ahead and the insulin didnt meet up with the food.

what food are you feeding your Yukon and how much?
                      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Yukon is on the Royal Canin Hydrolized Protein dog food. He get a little under a cup twice a day with a couple teaspoons of boiled chicken. He is 30 pounds. I asked the internal medicine doctor if we should switch his food and told her what I fed him and she said no to leave him what he's on.

I give him salt free green beans as a treat a couple times a day as well and I have taken his BG after giving him the green beans in the afternoon and it doesn't increase the insulin I give him salt free green beans as a treat a couple times a day as well and I have taken his BG after giving him the green beans in the afternoon and it doesn't increase the BG from the beans.

It's like the insulin or the food is causing this big spike twice a day.

Comment

Originally posted by YukiesMom View Post
                          Went to the internal doctor last Monday and she did an ultrasound and said all Yukons organs look good for his age. Raised his insulin to 8 and told me to do a curve Saturday. I did the curve and it appears that his BG spikes incredibly about an hour after his food/insulin. It appears that his low point doesn't occur until almost 10 hours after the shot.

The internal med doctor wanted to do a urinalysis today to rule out a UTI and they called tonight and said no infection but lots of glucose in urine no ketones though. They want me to do another curve this Saturday and then the internal medicine doctor will make a decision I guess whether or not we should switch his insulin.

I have noticed some sticky spots on my floor in various areas and he still licking his privates. I'm getting a little discouraged with all these doctors and we are pretty much the same place we were six weeks ago.
                          Can you post the results of the curve on 8 units of Vetsulin? Don’t get discouraged. Even at 8 units, you are only 2 units above the normal starting dose for a dog of Yukon’s weight. Glad you are seeing an Internal Med vet
                          Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                          Diabetes: Aug 2013
                          Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                          Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Originally posted by YukiesMom View Post
                            Yukon is on the Royal Canin Hydrolized Protein dog food. He get a little under a cup twice a day with a couple teaspoons of boiled chicken. He is 30 pounds. I asked the internal medicine doctor if we should switch his food and told her what I fed him and she said no to leave him what he's on.

I give him salt free green beans as a treat a couple times a day as well and I have taken his BG after giving him the green beans in the afternoon and it doesn't increase the insulin I give him salt free green beans as a treat a couple times a day as well and I have taken his BG after giving him the green beans in the afternoon and it doesn't increase the BG from the beans.

It's like the insulin or the food is causing this big spike twice a day.
                            According to the Royal canine hydrolized protein dog foodchart a

30 lb dog required amount daily is 2 5/8 cup
                            divide into 2 meals a day would be

1 and .3125 cups twice a day!

try this amount wait 7 days do a curve see if more food helps

you can also check bg 1 1/2 hours after food and insulin to see if the food is catching up.
                            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Here are Yukon's BG Levels from the 11/03 Curve Test:

6:30 a.m. 393 Yukon’s Blood Glucose getting up no food
                              6:30 a.m. Gave Yukon Food and then Shot after Food 8.0 Units
                              8:30 a.m. 587
                              9:30 a.m. 470
                              10:30 a.m. 433 Walked and he pooped before 10:30 BG Reading,
                              gave Yukon small amount of Green Beans after
                              12:30 p.m. 389
                              2:30 p.m. 421
                              4:30 p.m. 245 Walked before BG draw and gave Green Beans.
                              6:45 p.m. 156 ????????
                              7:45 p.m. 663 Gave Yukon Food and then Shot after food 8.0 Units
                              How can it go up over 500?Drinking a little more.
                              9:05 p.m. 648 Gave Melatonin 3mg at 8:00 p.m.

Comment

the walk may have caused the lower number . maybe rebound on the jump back up . I take higher numbers with a grain of salt . It may not be as high as you think but its probably still high

I had similar results with jesse early in her diagnosis take her for a walk and droped hundreds of points and then it would spike up hundreds of points after

we cant be sure why . All we can do is speculate . i would say the 156 in not an error number because of the 221 from before but if you get a number that looks out of place a retest maybe prudent
                                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                                X