Patty's Ali - my precious, beautiful angel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Patty's Ali - seizures are back

Hi Patty, I think the weight issue may be due to the tumor as weight loss with cancer..... pretty much go hand in hand. It seems like you are in stolen time as I don't think many other caregivers could have kept Ali alive till now. My mindset would be to try to keep her weight stable but not be overly alarmed at weight loss.

I have seen the way Docs and support staff change the way they talk to people at this stage. It is like they have done all they can and are now at the emotional support level and don't look deeper. You may have to break through that to have them help you figure out the decreased insulin needs.

I hope you get some answers, but fear you may very much be in uncharted waters.

Sending continued hopes for things to settle down.

Oh, just saw the pics! She does looks so much better with the hunch gone. I know it is so tough on you Patty and it feels as though stuff is flying out of control, but my goodness she looks great!

Tara
    Last edited by Rubytuesday; 10-01-2012, 03:17 PM.
    Tara in honor of Ruby.
    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Patty,

Ali looks wonderful, and alert. Hopefully with the millet it will keep her from dropping, and she will be able to use the insulin more evenly... or am I assuming that you did use it, and she just didn't drop without any additive.

Anyway... she is looking really good!!

Barb
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

WOW! She looks awesome!!!!
        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
          WOW! She looks awesome!!!!
          Can't come up with any other words. She looks so alert on those pics.

You both deserve a good rest

Louise

Comment

She does look wonderful!!!

Nice that her liver values are only mildly elevated. I couldn't remember what it meant to have high BUN and normal creatinine, so looked it up. Seems like her lab results are pretty typical of a dog on steroids.

https://www.healthtap.com/#topics/el...mal-creatinine

an elevated BUN with normal creatinine occurs most commonly in dehydrated individuals and is not a sign of kidney damage.it may also occur in in certain other conditions like bleeding in the intestines,artificial nutrition intravenously of amino acids and use of steroids
            http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health...-symptoms.html

The B/C ratio is BUN/creatinine ratio, and that is more important in dogs with really high BUNs and normal creatinine s which would point toward other causes for high BUNs. Not applicable for your pup.

Creatinine is a true measure of kidney function. It isn't influenced much by hydration, unless the pup is severely dehydrated, which yours isn't or it would have shown up on the lab results by abnormal electrolyes and high total protein levels.

BUN is blood urea nitrogen, it is a waste product that the kidneys are responsible for filtering out but it can be influenced by diet (a diet high in protein will increase the blood levels) as well as hydration and liver function
            BUN stands for blood urea nitrogen and is the primary end product of protein metabolism. High levels indicate kidney failure or disease, dehydration, shock, high protein diet, certain toxin ingestions, poor circulation to the kidneys and urinary obstruction. Low levels indicate liver disease or starvation.

Creatinine is the end product of phosphocreatine metabolism, which is important in muscle contractions. High levels indicate kidney failure or disease, dehyrdration,shock, certain toxin ingestions, poor circulation to the kidneys and urinary obstruction. Low levels indicate liver disease or starvation.

GGT is also important in nitrogen metabolism and is found within liver cells. High levels indicate bile duct obstruction, liver disease, pancreatitis, Cushing's and can be caused by high levels of steroids. Low levels indicate starvation and malnutrition.

Comment

Natalie,
              Thank you! Blood work is such a major research project for me. Her liver enzymes are only mildly elevated for the reference range but are a huge jump from where she's been in the low double digits. I'm thinking about needing to support her liver perhaps. Louise, I have to dig out that PM you sent me awhile back.

Carla was also telling me that Neutrophils place demands on glycogen storage and go through protein (inefficiently) quicker. So the rise in neutrophils could be related to poor protein digestion.

Her stools are good but I see the little pieces of food from her meals that look the way they went in.

I will feel so much better if I can get some weight back on her and feel like she's utilizing her food effeciently. For all I've been feeding her and her decent blood sugar she shouldn't be losing weight.

Tara, I saw your comment about nutrition/cancer and weight loss. I'm not sure if that applies to this type of 'supposedly' benign tumor as well or not. I really feel this coincides with her meds and the action on the body but I could be totally off base.

I'm going to start monitoring her urinary pH since her bicarb level is low (more acidic) as well.

Thanks all for the comments. This is why I'm fighting so hard for her. She has bounced back from so far. Love to see her so alert and active again. I just have to get her relatively stable enough to be out and about.

My doc will be back tomorrow. I'll put a call in to have him call me when he gets a chance. What would he do without talking to me for an entire week??

Patty
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I'm a big believer that dogs do smile - and I'm pretty sure I can see Ali smile in that bottom picture. Hope you've enjoyed some smiles today as well. She looks fantastic and so happy! Looks like it overall it was a somewhat relaxing and fun day!
                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Ok, just looked up the type of tumor she has and didn't realize that most of them are benign. Well that's good. I can see why you want to watch the weight now and don't want to attribute it to the tumor.

Hope it is a sleep filled night with no hard filled drops.

Tara
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                  Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

So glad to see Ali looking alert and interested in everything around her again. You have done wonders for her with your love and care Patty. And she is standing in the car looking out! Fantastic! Hugs
                    Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Whew....got my Ali picture fix and now feel much better! Gosh she looks so great in those pics! If I didn't recognize her, I'd swear you switched dogs on us!

I understand about the weight loss..it's a scary thing and when you can't quite pinpoint cause...it's worrisome. I have to wonder if it's not a normal aging weight loss to some degree. That might explain a bit of it at least.

The labs looked pretty good...no glaring 'here i am' numbers. For what she is going thru medically...I'd take those numbers!

I'm very glad she is doing better! Might take a bit to relax some. I think you both probably need it! Lotsa hugs your way!
                      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Loving Alis pictures too, great that she had a good outing!
                        Well done Patty, keep going! xx
                        Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

I'm not going to lie Patty - I am totally shocked at how fantastic Ali is looking in the pictures. I guess with everything going on I never expected she would look so great.

What a strong girl!

All your doing with Ali is truly an inspiration to us all.

Hugs
                          Allison
                          Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

She sure is looking much better, and more "interested".
                            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Hi Patty
                              How wonderful to see Ali is looking terrific and enjoying a car ride with you!

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                                Natalie,
                                Louise, I have to dig out that PM you sent me awhile back.Patty
                                Patty,
                                I just sent you a PM with the information.

Louise

Comment

Working...
                                X