Blue's Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue's Journey

Massively overfed is pretty harsh words..Blue has always ate really really well and I take pride in him and the care that I gave him. I would never do anything that would harm him. If he puts on a couple of pounds and I can maintane his levels and he's happy thats all I can ask for. I truely believe he should enjoy his life, share love and be a dog. I will not make him go hungry, make him feel deprived for fear I may have to increase his insulin. I have been as deligent as possible with his food intake but I did have to change his food, I feel that I chose a very good brand that he loves.

Comment

There ar 440 calories in a cup of blue weight control
      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I can by all means add the cottage cheese and cut the amount of his dry some. I will get some this week, he likes it so I know he will eat it.

Comment

You know that I care about you and Blue! There was no criticism implied or intended.

Given the big rise in blood sugar that is maintaining a fairly flat level, it's just a good probability that he is now getting more calories than he used to.

It could be a little more and it could be a lot more - we don't know since we don't know how many calories he was getting before.

And if he's getting, say, 25% more calories, he will very likely gain weight when he has enough insulin to make use of the all of the additional calories consumed.

If he was maintaining a good weight before, it would be preferable to provide that same number of calories of the new food.

Any time we changed Chris' food, we calculated an amount that provided the same number of calories and generally we did not have to adjust his insulin dose. At one point, he needed to gain, so we increased his calories about 25% and that required a small increase in his insulin dose. It's not usually as big an increase in dose as it is in calories.

We used calorie figures from a book or online and just came up with a rough estimate. Fortunately for us, his nonprepared food was usually cottage cheese, which came with a ready made calorie figure.

We did the same thing if we switched kibble or canned. Some of them have a lot more calories than others - there could be a 25% difference in two canned foods. So we would have to feed less of the higher calorie food to come to the same figure.

I still have some of the calculations I did. For example, 1/3 cup of Evo kibble had 179 calories while 1/3 cup of lowfat cottage cheese had only 80 calories.

Chris at 60 pounds and not very active at all was fed about 900 calories a day, including his 30 calorie milkbones at each injection.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
          X