Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New, help, cancer, diabetes, cushing

Hi and welcome,
    I have a boxer named Kahlua who has had mast cell cancer. Noticed growths under the skin and some were on the. I immediately had them cut out and sent to a pathologist. They came back Stage 1 and Stage 2 mast cell. Stage 3 and 4 are not so good. Kahlua has had 3 surgeries so far. Last 2 wasn't cancer. SO is there no hope in treating this cancer? Has it spread to the rest of his organs? Has the lumps been removed with good margins? Have you considered radiation? I do a full body check on her and check her lymph nodes every 2 weeks

I also had a Siberian Husky named Pebbles who had Cushings,diabetes and hypothyroidism. She went to Texas A & M Vet School and was treated by some of the best Vets in the country. Nat had mentioned them as well. The IMS said that the diabetes would not be under control until the cushings is. I see that you haven't had any Cushings testing done. Was he tested for hypothyroidism( Free T4 or T4) THis test is added to the blood work. Also another enzyme ( Alt) was not listed on your post. Was that normal? Does the vet think that the liver enzymes are elevated because of the cancer? Sorry to ask so many questions.

I would try to make your appointments with an Internal Med Dr as they are more experienced than a regular vet. I know that you want the best care that is available for your baby. I am glad to red that you are home testing. Pebbles wasn't on Vetsulin but was on Wal Mart human insulin(Novolin N) I do know that Vetsulin's protocol is injecting 2x a day. 12 hours apart. When you have a diabetic dog your schedule revolves around the dog. I would make sure I was home. My life revolved around her. my husband did know how to inject just in case I couldn't be home.
    Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

Hi DeAnne,

Welcome to you and Tee Jay!

I can't help with the diabetes at all but you are in the best hands for that here!

My Squirt is on melatonin and lignans for now. She weighs about 14 lbs and takes 3mg/day of melatonin (recent change from 3mg twice/day) and 40 mg a day of purified lignans. You want to use the plain melatonin that is not time released, extended, etc. It is usually available in several dose sizes but I would think the 3 mg is what Tee Jay would need. The usual dose is 3 mg twice a day.

Lignans can be used as purified in capsules, in an oil base, or as crushed flax hulls. The oil base, FSO w/lignans, is given at 1000mg/day; some dogs don't handle the oil very well and to me I wasn't comfortable with not knowing the exact amount of lignans she would get via the oil. The crushed hulls are a new option and I am not very familiar with them but I understand they are given at close to the same dose as the purified lignans we use, 40 mg a day.

Squirt is also on these herbs: Burdock glycerite 4-5 drops/day, milk thistle glycerite 2-3 drops/day, astagalus tincture 2-3 drops a day.

Melatonin is something I would suggest you research in depth. I had some links saved about it then restored my system and lost all that. But it seems melatonin had some benefit in certain cancers....this is from my faulty memory bank, tho, so don't take it as fact just yet. I will research some more as well and see if I can find that info for you.

Of course, do talk to a vet before you start anything with Tee Jay to be sure it won't worsen the diabetes or other problems he already has.

I have some links to give you on what I have talked about above as well as some others you might find interesting or helpful. I will also include a couple of links to ladies who design diets holistically and have had successes with cancer clients.

I hope Tee Jay does ok and is able to enjoy his days on the road. What an exciting life that must be!

Hugs,
      Leslie and the girls

lignans as flax hulls:
      www.flaxhulls.com

Purified lignans:
      WWW.VITACOST.COM/NSIFLAXSEEDLIGNANS

Catherine Lane
      http://www.thepossiblecanine.com/

Cat’s discussion group
      http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/T...ine-Nutrition/

Monica Segal
      http://www.monicasegal.com/

Monica’s discussion group
      http://www.doggiedietician.com/aboutus/discussions.php

Diet/Recipes for Cancer in dogs
      http://www.caninecancerawareness.org/html/Diet.html
      "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
      and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Thank you, Leslie, the girls, and rhodesian46

We will pick up some Milk Thistle today, Burdock glycerite and astagalus tincture i have never heard of.. are they teatments for Cushing?

We are giving him 6 iu twice a day now for the Diabetes... His blood count is down to 337 in morning and about the same at night. We tried to draw blood from his ears.. but he said it hurts... So now drawing it from inside his lip... He doesn't seem to even feel it... good news for both of us...

Tee Jay still doesn't feel good.. sleeps most of the time. when we walk him, his ears are back and turned.. not the normal way he carries his ears... He doesn't seem to want to take a walk any longer then 15 to 20 minutes then he heads home. We are trying to walk him twice a day.

As for the Mass Cell Cancer, surgeries are not an option. The main Cancer is on top of his back just over his Kidneys. It would have been too dangerous to remove the amount of tissue needed.

We are doing no treatments other then what he eats... we make sure he gets no Rice, Wheat or corn and no Carbs of any kind... if you read up on Mass Cell Cancer you will find that "some" Vets believe the four listed can cause Cancer... and for sure, with Mass Cell, will cause it to grow faster.

As for radiation, our Wis. Vet, Dr. Cal, felt it would be to hard on him.. we agreed and would not want to put Tee Jay though that... Plus we are retired and living on a fixed income... The cost is beyond our means.

We only want to make his remaining life with us as comfortable as possible..

Our other Cairn Terrier who had Mass Cell, she was only 5 years old... we didn't want to let go, did the surgeries, but they did no good, by the end we put her on morphine for the pain.. She lived only 2 years after being diagnosed, Vet didn't think she would live that long.. Karrie, her name, only wanted to die... and we didn't let her, till she told me in plain terms.. it was now... i will not do that again to a loved pet... as soon as we see Tee Jay's quality of life can no longer be maintained, or he is in pain, we will put him to sleep. I love him too much to see him suffer.

This Thursday we have another appointment with the local "young" Vet...

As for testing for Cushing we feel (along with Wis Vet) with all the health problems Tee Jays has, it would be to no avail... we still would not treat the Cushing, other then by Herbs...

It does sound like we should have him tested for hypothyroidism. Will asked this Young vet.... on Thursday.

Has this Cancer spread... ??? good question. Because of were it's located it very well may have.... With out a UltaSound it's hard to tell... For the life of me i can't understand why NO VET in this 150 mile area doesn't see a need to have a UltaSound Machine.... to me that's crazy... The town we are now parked in, is about 28,000 people.. plus a few smaller towns around. If a UltaSound Machine is toooo costly for one Vet... one would think they could go together and share it.. but who am i... just a customer with a very sick dog who could sure use one.

Does the vet think that the liver enzymes are elevated because of the cancer? Both Vets, Local and in Wis. feel Tee Jay, has Cushings, but with out the dreaded UltaSound, checking to see if Cancer has spread to organs.. can't say for sure.

We will be leaving this area next week, maybe... don't want to leave till Tee Jay's Blood sugar levels are better under control... but..... if we do leave, who knows, maybe we will find a better Vet near West Yellowstone.

OH almost forgot... i did asked this "young" Vet about treating with Herbs.. he said he knows nothing about it or has he ever read any thing about Herbs for teatment in dogs... This local Vet.. knows the basics.. Cute and nice guy though.. in his cowboy boots and jeans.. Even though, i'm "over the Hill," being in my mid 60's, i still can look...

This is a wonderfull life, Full Time RVing... unless someone gets sick.

Comment

To get a better idea on how the insulin is working you will need to test a couple of times through the day. A curve every 2 hours would be the ideal but even a couple of tests though out the day will help to see what those BG numbers are doing.

Diabetes (and cushings) are hard on the immune system so infections happen really quickly. I wonder if the ears need a bit of attention because of the way you describe him holding them? Also watch out for urinary infections.

Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by BestBuddy View Post
            To get a better idea on how the insulin is working you will need to test a couple of times through the day. A curve every 2 hours would be the ideal but even a couple of tests though out the day will help to see what those BG numbers are doing.

Diabetes (and cushings) are hard on the immune system so infections happen really quickly. I wonder if the ears need a bit of attention because of the way you describe him holding them? Also watch out for urinary infections.

Jenny
            We did a curve a few days ago... will do another tomorrow the day before we see Vet on Thursday. As for his ears.. Tee Jay didn't feel good, hence his ears were not up and alert. This was at his morning walk. Last night we walked him again... and he was almost his old bouncy self.. ears on the alert.. doing his cute "i'm a proud Terrier, walk". his BG levels were 282 last night..

This morning he is back to "i don't feel good" and BG were 387 before feeding and shot.. interesting how it jumbs around even on shots twice a day.

We were able to find Milk Thistle at local health store. It's 175 mg Milk Thistle seed Extract capsules with Turmeric Root extract powder 50 mg and Artichoke Leaf extract powder 20 mg. We are giving him 1/2 capsule with each meal.

Hope this mix is OK? Could not find just pure Milk Thistle. the folks at health food store could not get over that we were spending so much money on our dog... Thought the comment was funny.... they must never see people buying herbs for pets.

Also picked up Echinacea/Goldenseal= Alcohol free, 1 fluid oz. we are giving him 4 Drops out of the serving size of 40 drops.

Today we are going for a all day ride to do some sight seeing.. as always, he comes with... we also are going to carry Honey with, just in case he needs it.

The Local Vet talked about not stressing him... wonder how we can do that with our lifestyle. He is used to how we travel around.. so at what point does it become stress to him..??

We hope we are doing the right things for Tee Jay.. right now we feel

Thank you all for your carring and help. It means so much to us.

Comment

Hi Dianna, I have a bichon that was diagnosed in 2004 with diabetises and in 2005 he also was diagnoed with a mass tumor in his nose. They only gave him 2-5 months the most if not treated. I found a Holistic Vet in NY where i live Dr. Wen - Hampton Vet.Hosp. in Speonk, NY where for the last 4 years has been treating him with Medicinal Herbs from China. Presently, he might have a problem (with CUSH). He said if so, he also can treat my dog with the herbs. So dont give up. I would differently call his office and he does send out to vets in diff states pills for treatment. Good luck to both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by afortunato View Post
                Hi Dianna, I have a bichon that was diagnosed in 2004 with diabetises and in 2005 he also was diagnoed with a mass tumor in his nose. They only gave him 2-5 months the most if not treated. I found a Holistic Vet in NY where i live Dr. Wen - Hampton Vet.Hosp. in Speonk, NY where for the last 4 years has been treating him with Medicinal Herbs from China. Presently, he might have a problem (with CUSH). He said if so, he also can treat my dog with the herbs. So dont give up. I would differently call his office and he does send out to vets in diff states pills for treatment. Good luck to both of you.
                This Vet sound very interesting, can you PV email me his phone, is that allowed. Can you please give me an idea what the cost are for the Vets time and Herbs.

We did a cruve yesterday,

7:30 AM 338
                11: AM 163
                3:15 PM 184
                6:30 PM 302
                he ate and had evening shot at 6:30 +7 pm
                Forgot to do one more BG...

Today it was:
                7: AM 159

This number is really low, is that right? It's time to give him his morning 6 IU shot.. Not sure if we should still do the full 6 IU..

don't think anyone will be able to answer me before we have to give it. This is when it gets tough.. what should we do..????

Comment

Hi DeAnna,

Am just now catching up with your thread. I forget to look over here now.

Here are some links with info on Burdock and Astragalus. I use the burdock for liver support and cleansing, and the astragalus for immune system support primarily. Both are helpful in other areas, but these are the reasons I use them. Be sure to talk to a vet before using these, especially the burdock as it has the potential to lower blood sugar.

Budock info:

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...aditionalUsage

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/burdock-000227.htm

http://www.answers.com/topic/burdock-root

Astagalus info:

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/astragalus/

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/a...lus-000223.htm

Just an FYI, as I understand it, tinctures always contain alcohol, glycerites do not contain alcohol. I buy these from Rose Mountain Herbs and trust the purity of their products. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

I hope Tee Jay is doing better and that you are feeling a bit more comfortable.

Hugs,
                  Leslie and the girls
                  "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
                  and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

I know you've already given the shot but when in doubt, you can always reduce the dose to be safe. Better too high than too low.

Comment

Working...
                    X