No announcement yet.

Please help ASAP, her values are crazy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please help ASAP, her values are crazy!

you can can read up on vetinsulin dosage at

VETINSULIN dog dosage

FOR example

For a 50 lb dog would be 22 kg x .5 = 11 units
    Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 09-05-2016, 12:01 AM.
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
      you can can read up on vetinsulin dosage at

VETINSULIN dog dosage

For a 50 lb dog would be 22 kg x .5 = 11 units
      That is a recommended starting dosage, not necessarily the final dosage. Every dog is different and can't be expected to use the "starting" dosage.

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by DrRamey View Post
        So I just checked again and it's 357. At what point should I be worried or just give her insulin?
        This can be the problem with skipping the entire dosage. Really can't give much now since, I'm guessing, it's been several hours after the schedule. The possible problem if you give insulin more than an hour or so later than normal is that it will overlap,with the morning dose? Guess you could give a small injection, something like 1/4 the normal.

Don't forget to reduce the morning dose if you feed an identical meal to what you've been feeding the past couple of days.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

i would probably put the meter down for tonight. you dont have to worry about going to low tonight so get some rest being higher will not be a problem and tomorrow is a new day
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
            i would probably put the meter down for tonight. you dont have to worry about going to low tonight so get some rest being higher will not be a problem and tomorrow is a new day
            Yea, that's probably a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
              Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. Just checked and she's at 534. Going to feed her and give her the reduced insulin shortly.

Comment

Well Maggie seems to be doing better and I have sent my testing results to the vet to see what he has to say about them. I'd love to hear back from the community if anyone had comments or suggestions. She seems more stable now, but I'm still on edge with her and don't want another hypo event repeat. That was too scary!

Here's the new doc with the updated values: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

a much safer range. i might holed at this dose for the week but wouldn't hesitate to lower the dose with anything below a 100

glad things are looking brighter
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Those numbers look very safe and relatively flat. I also would stick with the 17 units for at least a week and then reevaluate. Depending on your next curve, you might need to adjust up or down in .5 unit increments.
                    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                    Diabetes: Aug 2013
                    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

any time a dog has an infection or something their blood sugar can go up. If her eye had been swollen and you've been treating it, that might be another reason she needs less insulin.

Is she eating her full meals now? I'd definitely stick with the lower dose and probably reduce it more if she doesn't eat a whole meal.

lows are scary. glad you caught it!
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I heard back from the vet and he agrees that we should stick to the lower dosage. We upped it a couple weeks ago and I have to wonder what her numbers were these last couple weeks. We were just a little late with feeding on Saturday, so I wonder if we've been walking the line this whole time.

I'm curious what everyone else's glucose testing schedule is? We've just been following the vet's advice of adjust, wait two weeks, do a curve and repeat if necessary. Now I'm wondering if I should test more regularly or not.

Comment

Hello,
                          Almost all of us ALWAYS test before food and insulin morning and night.... then,additional testing is to check, based on their curve information. Sissy has been staying low lately,so i usually check her between hour 5 -7...
                          Hope you get some balance...hang in there,this is a road of patience

Jackie
                          Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Since my Annie generally has her lowest glucose reading at around the 10-12th hour, I test just prior to each meal. I might also do a late afternoon test once in awhile just to verify her lowest reading is remaining at the +10 to +12 time.

I do a modified curve every few months. My modified curve skips the first couple of normal 2 hour tests tests because I KNOW her glucose rises for the first couple of hours after her meal and injection. So, instead of testing at 7(pre-meal), 9, 11, 1, 3, 5 and 7(pre-meal); I might test at 7(pre-meal), 3, 5 and 7(pre-meal). Of course everyone has their own procedure.

Craig

Comment

My Maggie loved to go low and so unpredictably, so I tested 3-4 times a day. At a minimum, I would test before meals and insulin. You might check around the time her curves show her to be lower.
                              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I'm only a week into handling my dog's diabetes, so I'm still learning, but my vet hospital told me to always feed Mack first and then test. He has chronic pancreatitis and liver issues, so he has to eat 4 small meals a day. I test him after each meal, which are spaced 4 hours apart from each other. Maybe that will change once we get his readings more consistent and into a good healthy range.

MacksMom (Pat) & Mack

Comment

Working...
                                X