Abbie's Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbie's Mom

Hello! I have been reading all the posts for hours!
    Abbie newly diagnosed!
    Just transitioning her to Science Diet Adult Lite
    Started with Novolin N 12u per the Vet's Weight F
    Abbie, 12 yr old black,Hound, Lab mix?Diagnosed 2/28/13- 21U Novolin N(eff. 9/20/13) Science Diet Adult lite 1/2 +Science Diet WD+ Canned WD Wt-61.0# - Abbie's Mom

Re: Abbie's Mom

Welcome to the forum!
    Can you tell us a bit more about your pup. Breed, weight, food fed, any other medical conditions?

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi Welcome to the forum! I'm new here too and still figuring it all out. Everyone here is beyond helpful!

Susan and Connor

Comment

Thanks so much! I have gained so much insight from reading these posts. You just don't know how much I appreciate all the great information. Have been struggling since diagnosis approximately 2 weeks ago.
        My Abbie is a mixed pup of unknown origin, almost 11 years old.-She is black, long legs, long tail looks like maybe part hound- who knows! We rescued her through the Humane Society as a pup & is the love of our lives.
        Diagnosis after excessive water & urinating w/ blood in urine.
        presently on Antibiotics, Novolin N -11 units x 2 per day.
        Transitioning her from regular dog food to Science Diet Lite. (Can't afford the W/D) along w/ combo of home cooked chicken,kashi, green beans,broccoli & brussel sprouts, mushed up in food processor.
        This site gave me new hope. I didn't know how we could afford the insulin, food & vet bills. I called Wal-mart & will be getting their brand Novolin N & needles from them. So much cheaper. Hope is comparable in make up.
        1 curve done- low was 100 high 300- Will have another done tomorrow @ vet along w/ urine re-check.
        Thanks for all the good information. This site will be our salvation!
        Sorry for the long message!

Abbie, 12 yr old black,Hound, Lab mix?Diagnosed 2/28/13- 21U Novolin N(eff. 9/20/13) Science Diet Adult lite 1/2 +Science Diet WD+ Canned WD Wt-61.0# - Abbie's Mom

Comment

Abbie sounds wonderful! How much does she weigh? Try to post the full results of tomorrow's curve, and any other data you get from the vet.

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi ! Welcome to you and Abbie.

It's great that you found this forum - its been a lifesaver for my CJ and me. I could not have got through the last 9 months without all the great advice and help and support from the members here.

The most important thing that I learnt was to home test. I had been bringing CJ to the vet - they did not want me to home test- for his curves but then after I joined this forum and read how much more in control you can be if you home test I changed vets and started testing that day. It was scary at first but CJ is a great little warrior and he never minded the testing. Just as well as I test him a lot!!
            Most of us here keep a journal and write down every day BG levels how much insulin we give , what they ate , exercise and anything else that has to do with your dog. In order to regulate your doggie it's best to keep everything the same every day ----- same amount of insulin and food at the same time every day. Same exercise, etc it's all about having a routine as much as possible and sticking to it. A lot of us use a weighing scales to measure food - even a tiny variation in the amount can affect BG levels .

Hang on in there you will get through this and Abbie can live a normal doggie life .

Anne-Marie and CJ
            Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the words of support. Sorry I haven't posted since last Wednesday! I took Abbie in on Thursday. She stayed with the Vet all day.
              Her initial curve on 3/8/13 (1st curve) - 10 units Novolin N
              8AM - 268
              10am- 268
              1Pm - 312
              3Pm - 211

2nd Curve - done Thursday 3/14/13 - 11 units Novolin N, new food.

8:00AM - 196
              10:50 AM -203
              12:50 PM -259
              2:50 PM -217 * Vet said wants it under 250 - afraid to go very low since no one is with her during the day.
              I am over whelmed at this time. I have noticed I am treating Abbie differntly, more clingy with her. I am depressed over this whole deal.
              I think I am in a state of denial. She was diagnosed 1 week before I had day surgery w/ general anesthesia (1st time) I have been scatter brained since then. I went to Doc for re-check after I dropped Abbie at the Vet. It was a two hour drive. Then I had to meet my Sister in another town approx 1 hour from there. I was so frazzled when I picked up Abbie. I had planned on being back by 4:30PM but it was 5:30. I totally did not remember she should have her insulin by 5:00 PM. The Vet asked me when we give her insulin & I told him my husband does around 4:45-5:00 AM & again in the PM as close to 12 hours as possible. He then said well it is passed time to give her the evening shot & I said thats okay, my husband is at home & will give it to her. ** CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT! -I was there picking up Abbie she was at the Vets & I said that. He did not say a word. He probably though I was going around the bend! Did not realize what I had said or the implications until I was on the road home. I could have cried.
              I was disappointed Abbie had not gained any weight. The 1st week she gained 1# but nothing the second week.
              We are gone 12 -13 hours out of the day. We both commute to work a distance. I leave after my husband, so I think it would be better for me to feed our girls @ 6:00AM, so one of us is there for sure in 12 hours.
              I have got Abbie set w/ large bag of new food, another bottle of insulin & 100 needles and food in the freezer.
              My vet said you can test at home but do not change insulin without checking with me. He also said he did not want to change anything for 2 weeks & check her again then.
              I can't remember Abbie's weight. She has lost approx 7 # since last July.
              She was approx 65# & now weighs approx 58-59#. Her poor rear is boney.
              I should sign this
              Abbie's Overwhelmed Mom.

Comment

That curve on Thursday was pretty good. I think the vet is right to aim for below 250, but y'all are in a fairly good spot and holding for a little while is a good thing.

I also agree about not changing the dose without talking to the vet. You're new to this, and until you get very comfortable, I wouldn't make any increases without the vet's approval.

As for being overwhelmed, I was there too, and it's hard. I also helicoptered over my dog for a few months. Then I ended up with a terminally ill cat, and I had to focus on her. Zoe had to just have her insulin and food and that was the best I could do for her while I was caring for my kitty. Once I went through that, and Zoe survived, I didn't redevelop that helicoptering tendency, much to Zoe's chagrin.

So, give yourself time to adjust. Abbie can handle it. BTW, "Abby" was my kitty's name.
                Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

i had to set may alarm on my cell phone to remind me of things i needed to do for jesse most times no problem the the alarm goes off and i am thinking where am i what time is it we have all been there

as cebe said numbers are good fairly stable without big swings which is a very good thing the body can do much better in these situations and protect itself if needed your pup is fine keep doing what your doing

you guys are in good shape
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi all. I cannot believe it has been right @ 2 weeks since I posted. I appreciate your input. My vet is on vacation. He delayed Abbie's re-check until he gets back. I will take her back on April 4th. I am concerned about her weight. I took her & Emma (my other girl) to the Vet's office on Thursday this week to get a weight on them both. I have been concerned about Abbie's weight. She gained 1 # the first week she was on insulin. Since that time we have her fully on the higher fiber diet w/ homemade mixture of chicken, grains & green vegetables. She actually lost .4 #. I am not sure what to do at this time. I am biding my time until Vet returns in a few days. She seems to be a bit more energetic that she has been. She has a good appetite. But looks skinny in her hips & frame. Her belly is rounded. My husband's birthday is Monday. For his birthday, we have tickets to a Tampa Bay Ray's baseball game in St. Pete on Sunday 7th. I am concerned because we will get home passed her time for her food & insulin. This is new to us. Since Vet is out of town, don't know if we need to start gradually giving food & insulin later in am & pm or do it on the 1 day. I don't have a meter yet & have not ventured to testing her BG yet. Any input on how I should handle that Sunday. We will be approx 2-2 1/2 hours later w/ food/insulin than normal if we leave as is.
                    Sorry for the long post.
                    Thanks,
                    Abbie's Mom

Comment

usually an hour either way doesn't hurt so if I were you, I would start transitioning her food/insulin so it isn't a 2 1/2 hour gap if possible.

it's hard because you don't know where she is at blood sugar wise but that is what I'd feel more comfortable doing if it were me.

Is there anyone who could come over and feed/give her her shot for you?
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply. At this time I don't have anyone to fill in the gaps if we are gone. I have a neighbor friend who is a nurse who might be able to. I don't know her schedule at this time for that week. She works 12 hours shifts & if working would not be there on time to give Abbie her food & insulin.
                        Still have 7 days. I think more workable for us to do what you suggest. I think we should start shifting gradually 30 minutes at a time until closer to the 12 hours.

Comment

Hi, I have read I believe most of the posts on the BG meters. I would like to have feedback on the iPet meter. I have read the input on ALPHA 2 meters. Anyone who can give me a comparison between the two. I may have missed a posting on this already.
                          I want the meter that is least expensive to operate, reliable results & uses least amount of blood. Would prefer to get the ones that are specific for canine use.
                          Your input will be greatly appreciated!

Comment

No personal experience with the iPet system, but there have been negative comments here, and I think on Amazon. Then again, I think every meter has had some sort of negative comment..

If I had to give advice to a friend, and I consider you a friend, I'd recommend two different ideas:

One Touch Ultra (2?). Many on the forum use it and sounds like a fine meter.

AlphaTrak2 and the Walmart ReliOn Prime. The Alphatrak2 is great, but the strips are soooooo expensive. I frequently test Annie 3-4 times a day and wouldn't be able to afford AT2 strips for all that testing. The ReliOn Prime is only about $16, and the test strips are 18 cents each. The Prime does record dog blood low, but if you had both the Prime and AT2 you could do a few side- by- side tests and determine a fairly close correlation between the meters. That's what I do. I use the Prime for most daily tests (cheap strips), and every several weeks I use one or two $1+ Alphatrak2 strip to be sure my correlation is still accurate.

Just my thoughts

Craig

Comment

In case you haven't read the reviews on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/iPet-Glucose-M...owViewpoints=1

Who knows if the meter is as bad as some wrote hope someone who actually uses one makes a comment.

Comment

Working...
                              X