Abbie's Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Abbie's Mom

I test, at least, before both meals. I've tried to reduce testing, but it's a habit and I worry if I ever skip a test. Then we test more whenever Annie gets bored and asks for more!

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I don't test as often as a lot of people. We do Jenny's lip and my vet told me it takes 3 days for her lip to heal. So we do fasting if she is running pretty stable. More often if she has been running low or been more active

On the stable times, if I can, I take 3 days off occasionally. but it drives me crazy not to know!

great vet report, yay for you and Abbie!
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks so much! I need to get my hubby's help with BG. He is up by 4:20 AM & Feeds the pups around 4:45 & in the evenings too. I am doing it randomly now.
        On my days off I am more consistent on when.
        How often do you do curves?

So glad Abb is acting more like her old self.
        Elaine & Abbie
        Abbie, 12 yr old black,Hound, Lab mix?Diagnosed 2/28/13- 21U Novolin N(eff. 9/20/13) Science Diet Adult lite 1/2 +Science Diet WD+ Canned WD Wt-61.0# - Abbie's Mom

Comment

Hi everyone. I have not posted in a long time due to multiple reasons. Computer problems, dial up internet,modem,overtime@ work. I missed being on this site.
          Abbie's insulin needs have been changing. Everyone tried to prepare me for the ups & downs. Abbie is now up to 20 units of insulin. She was on 16 when I last posted in June?
          I have been having difficulty getting her regulated. Her bg is erratic. I have been doing the curves. I am taking her to Vet this Thursday and dropping her off. Vet is going to keep her for the day and do a curve @ the office. She acts okay. Has good appetite, but can't seem to get all her # under 250. Been making her wet food all this time. Measuring, weighing & not varying. After this curve @ Vets, I plan to go onto a Canned W/D. I am not sure what else to do. The vet feels that might just make the difference. We are plugging along & hoping thing settle down at least for a little while.
          Hope all is well with everyone & their poopies!
          Abbie, 12 yr old black,Hound, Lab mix?Diagnosed 2/28/13- 21U Novolin N(eff. 9/20/13) Science Diet Adult lite 1/2 +Science Diet WD+ Canned WD Wt-61.0# - Abbie's Mom

Comment

What was her last curve like? I wondered how much of the day she usually manages to get to 250 or below.

Truth is, some dogs' pattern is "erratic." And some dogs never consistently get blood sugar below 250 no matter what you do.

Fortunately, that's not the end of the world. They can still live healthy happy lives without perfect regulation. We are fortunate that dogs are so relatively tolerant of less than perfect blood sugar.

So I hope the WD helps. But if it doesn't, that's okay.

When you think about it, we are trying to replace an exquisitely finetuned and sensitive insulin delivery system with a couple of shots and meals a day. So it's not surprising that it often doesn't work quite like we want it to and something of a miracle that it works as well as it does.

Natalie

Comment

Hi all, I have been AWOL again. Seems like life just takes over & I can't fit everything in. I have good news regarding Abbie. We have made some big changes in her diet since I last posted. We first took her off the homemade wet food & put her on WD canned. We then after about 2-3 weeks went to 1/2 Science Diet Lite Adult & 1/2 Science Diet WD. I know there are a few people out there who will not feed their pup WD. But it was the most affordable option for me. We have gotten her BG down considerably. We will get her fully on WD & Will probably need to drop her insulin. The below curve is not a true curve- no fasting # included. 2 Hrs after feeding & insulin - (21units-)
              6:45 AM - 60 (I think too low)
              8:50 AM - 144
              10:54AM - 179
              2:20 PM - 141
              4:31 PM - 79
              I need to call the Vet & see if we need to drop the insulin to 20 1/2 units or 20 units. I think the two lowest # are too low. She had been improving since March, but now acting like a young pup ! So good to see her like that. Her weight has come up too.
              Feedback from anyone would be appreciate.
              Thanks,

Comment

Hi there, glad things have improved.

Some dog's numbers will drop after food and insulin, but I think it would be more common for the numbers to rise. Do you know what Abby's trend is in that regard?

I would be concerned that she had been evenlower then the 60.

BTW what meter are you using so we can interpret that number?

If you aren't sure how she trends I would drop back to 20 units.

If she tends to drop after food and insulin I would test a few fastings to see where she is before food and insulin. From there I still might cut the dose depending on what meter you're using.

If she rises after food and insulin I might cut her dose even further then the 1 unit.

Tara
                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

the prescription diet does seem to do well for many. i do wonder if that would have made things easier for jesse but decided not to go that route and may never know. are there trade offs with this food compared to something else . you cant argue with the numbers and better regulation which is good for health .

i agree with tara regulation is tight and you might want to back the dose down a bit during the transition .

congrats on deciding on making a change and seeing positive results major change is not an easy thing to do takes courage .
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Great numbers. I'm so glad your dog is doing so well!!!
                    Sonia and Jinxy ~9 yr. old SilkyTerrier Weight: 9 lbs Diabetes Dx:9-13-2013*started insulin 10-29-2013* Diet: Raw Advantage Perfect Blend 1/2 chunk 2xday w/1oz raw beef, chicken, or organs Treats: raw green beans Insulin:Vetsulin 1 unit 2xday as of 11-15-13 Meter:AlphaTrak 2 BG Range: Still trying to get regulated with lower dose

Comment

Working...
                    X