Milly is suffering.. are we being cruel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Milly is suffering.. are we being cruel

Being blind is not the end, just as them becoming diabetic is not the end. My boy, Gus, lost his sight 6 months after diabetes diagnosis. He has adjusted very well. Only the first week was a little hard on him getting his bearings around. But his senses are so keen that he amazes me how well he knows where he is at. I think we humans have the biggest issue with the adjustment.

I pray the hydrotherapy helps. Even pet massage might help as well. I'm sure the muscles and tendons are tight from the surgery, and as similar as humans, needs time to heal and therapy.

I hope you find it where you can enjoy your Milly and Milly can once again enjoy her life in time.
    Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
    10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Please continue to fight and stay strong for Milly!
      Milly will definitely recover slower since she is older but definitely try massaging her knee as much as possible. Scar tissue will cause a lot of pain and discomfort. I know this because I had surgery last year on my knee. I ruptured every ligament(except for PCL) including my medial and lateral meniscus. I am still struggling everyday on normal activities..even going for walks with my dogs causes random pain every few steps I take. I rehab every day too and trust me the recovery process is hard..imagine it on poor Milly..especially when they can't talk to us and tell us where it's hurting.

Going blind for a dog doesn't make a big difference..My Mochi went blind after 2 months of being diagnosed. He was still super happy to play and do his day to day normal activities. The only problem was Mochi's bad allergies causes his nose to be really bad..so he can't smell as well as any other dogs can so he would bump into anything and everything and won't be able to sniff out his toys...so we chose to get him cataract surgery.

Continue to be patient and I hope hydrotherapy helps!
      Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
      Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
      Had cataract surgery June 2016.
      On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Milly has had difficulty walking these past few weeks. Her cruciate ligament operation was last November and she is still recovering. Her front knee also keeps giving way. This is why she has been having hydrotherapy.
        Yesterday when she was trying to run to greet our neighbour who she likes when'Yelp!' the cruciate ligament in her other bag leg has gone. She now can't even stand up never mind walk. She is in pain, we are picking up stronger painkillers from the vet this morning. We are giving her a few days just to make sure it's not her ligament and if there is no improvement we will have to let her go.We could never put her through the trauma of another operation. She has already suffered too much. We love her so much, she is such a big part of our lives but we have to let her go. She hurts even when I try to pick her up and give her a cuddle.I can't stop crying I love her so much.

Comment

I completely understand. My Maggie was a tough dog and she could have pushed herself to live for as long as I would allow it. She was in terrible pain - she had damage to her cervical spine and wouldn't put her head down to eat or drink but she refused to cry or show her pain. I realized it when I took her to the vet. He started testing her neck and I could tell it was really bad. She wasn't going to get better - she had dementia, pancreatitis and she had fought hard to live her whole life. She just had a look in her eye that she was done. I knew she was ready so I just had to do it. I couldn't keep her alive for me. It is an incredible gift that we are able to give them.

You have to do what is right for you - you aren't giving up on her by letting her go but the time has to be right in your mind. We fight too hard for them to have regrets.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Praying that Milly gets some relief from the painkillers. Just the swelling alone from the injury can cause a lot of discomfort. She knows how much you love her just by being with her. Sending hugs(())
            Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Milly is no longer in pain and suffering. Yesterday we let her go. Run free little one at Rainbow Bridge.We are heartbroken but we couldn't let you suffer any longer.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice.

Comment

I am so sorry.
                Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

it sounds like you made the best decision for milly . one of the most courageous acts we can do for our loves when they need it most

she is free from pain and enjoying no limitations in this next life
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

So sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and yours, and Godspeed to Milly girl.
                    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

no more suffering for you Milly. I'm so sorry for your loss
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

<3...So sorry for your loss. Milly is up in heaven now and no more pain and suffering.
                        Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
                        Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
                        Had cataract surgery June 2016.
                        On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

So sorry for your loss but she is no longer suffering, truly the best decision. It is so hard but she is in a safe, peaceful place now.
                          Toby, 9 yr old pure Cairn Terrier, loss of vision both eyes, 18 lbs, diabetes diagnosis 4/27/16. Eats 3/4 can Purina OM 2x with 7u of Novolin, also has Purina Lite Snackers mid-day. Receives 1 drop 2x a day of Flurbiprofin, NexPolyDex and Cyclosporin eyedrops to keep eye pressures stable.

Comment

My heart breaks for you as you mourn the loss of your sweet Milly. May the memories you have of the happy times give you comfort and peace. Run free in green meadows Milly.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss and that you had to make the decision to release Milly. She will be warmly welcomed at the Rainbow Bridge.

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Comment

I am so very sorry for your loss - it has been almost a year since we let Maggie go. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her. It does get easier with time. I knew we did the right thing at the right time, though so that helped. Knowing the suffering is over is at least something. Hard to have any good feelings at the time.

Fly free, sweet Milly.
                                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                                X