Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Diabetes and Regulation in General

Diabetes and Regulation in General The big picture of managing and regulating a dog's diabetes

View Poll Results: How long has your dog had diabetes
Six months or less 24 38.10%
Six to Twelve months 5 7.94%
More than 1 year, less than 2 years 11 17.46%
More than 2 years, less than 3 years 7 11.11%
More than 3 years, less than 4 years 6 9.52%
More than 4 years, less than 5 years 4 6.35%
More than 5 years, less than 6 years 2 3.17%
More than 6 years, less than 7 years 4 6.35%
More than 7 years 1 1.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Default How long has your dog had diabetes so far?

We are approaching the year's midpoint, so it seems like a good time to update our poll on how long our dogs have lived with diabetes so far.

If your dog has passed on, please respond to the poll with how many years your dog lived with diabetes. It's really important for new members to see what's possible!

And for those of you with more than one diabetic, now or earlier, you can post to multiple categories.

For new members, as you view the results (click on one of the numbers to see which dogs are in each category), keep in mind that activity at the forum is always greatest by people whose dogs have been diagnosed recently. So it may take a while for some senior members and for members who dogs have since passed away, to come by the forum and respond. I may bring up an older poll so you can see some prior results.

Natalie
Old 05-24-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Re: How long has your dog had diabetes?

Grayson was just two months yesterday...and seems to be doing pretty well on getting down from BGs high in the 400's, to ranging from 100's to the high 200's when I poke at him. Poor boy, always has momma poking him...
Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini
Old 05-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Chris missed five years by only 35 days.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:06 PM

7 months for Charlie, who turns 13 tomorrow
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 05-25-2014, 02:55 AM

6 years for the wee dude Alfie next week.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:24 AM

1 month! seeing the polls with 6 years+ gives me so much hope
Old 05-26-2014, 05:50 PM

6 years for Soaphie end of July....3.5 years for Sydsta
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:46 PM

Wow! Love to see all the 6+ year votes! gives me hope too.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:18 PM

You know I wonder how misleading this poll is terms of age at diagnosis. For instance Keeda is ~14, she will most likely live another few years at most and I believe most dogs that are newly diagnosised are "older." So let's say Keeda develops cancer next year and dies from that... Then she will only ever make 1-2 years even though it wasn't the diabetes that she died from. If a young dog is diagnosed I believe they usually still live the full life expectancy.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

That is a factor to consider. I think Natalie posts it for the purpose of those newly diagnosed dog parents to see that it is probable their dog can live for a good length of time, very close to their normal life expectancy. Considering some people actually think they need to put their dog down when they are diagnosed or their friends and family who tell them that.

Maggie was 7 at diagnosis, still relatively young, and she has done really great for over six years, considering how challenging she has been. I am personally hoping that she will make it through the summer. I say that every year, though.