Mik is gone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Every time I have good news, Mik and Mak apparently read this thread and go on strike. But for the moment [crossing fingers] they have both eaten better every day all week than in months.

[shhhhhh!]
    Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

I won't tell a soul... (glad you're having a good week!)

Natalie

Comment

alleluiah!
        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

alleluiah!
          Ditto!

You need to paw proof the internet access for Mik and Mak. Parental controls?

Comment

Hi there,

I was just thinking about the Ensure, what about Slim Fast in a can I don't think that has artifical sweetners in it, I drink the Slim Fast or Ensure when I don't feel like eating when its so hot outside, that might have powdered milk in it tho, any luck with cereal the hot kind or something like cheerios but I think you've already tried cereals.

Or try Silk soy milk the vanilla, or the goats milk you get in a can?
            Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Hi Robert

Just checking in on you and the kids!

Comment

Originally posted by peggy0 View Post
                Hi Robert

Just checking in on you and the kids!
                Thanks. No big changes. Mik is getting more and more difficult to get him awake and eating at 5 am. Mak's hacking is worse than ever, but the WORST news is our vet of 28 years, five dogs and two cats is retiring this week.

I just found out. If Karen were still here, she would be crying.

I managed to finesse both dogs for appts late Friday, perhaps his last clients.

really depressed me--he knew these two almost from birth
                Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Saw our vet today for the last time. He retired 10 minutes after we left. I felt kind of honored that he made room for us long time clients. He was swamped with paperwork.

Mik's BG was down to 191 after 10 hours from the insulin, so the doc said change nothing.

But he did lost a pound.

He will get gerber baby food chicken and gravy, but it's needs some fat. I managed to mix in chicken and rice which is good.

Any idea of baby food with some fat? I have to get his wt up again.

Comment

Hi Robert

Its always hard to lose a great vet. I'm sure it was hard for him as well. My new vet is very young but in a few months Ive gained some confidence in him and the dogs love him. Baby food that has eggs in it have additional fat. Also, you could add some olive oil to the food which is healthy fat. knowing Mik, he may sniff it out and stomp his little feet but its worth a try

Comment

We also had the quality of life discussion about Mak. Vet said his heart could fail at any minute--week, month, even year. Impossible to say.

I said there are three scenarios:

1: I come home and he had slipped away in my absence.
                      2: I wake up and he has passed during the night.

I know how to handle those. [I had asked earlier]

But 3: he begins to slip away in front of me. What happens? Seizure? Coma? Choking? Gasping? Pass out? What? And what do I do?

Vet said Mak will be unable to get oxygen to his brain, heart, organs, etc. It's hard to say how he will react, but just hold him and try to comfort him. If that is too difficult for Mak [or me] come to the office or go to pet ER.

Do not try to save him. Let him go quickly. Extending his life at that point might be good for a day or two. If his tongue turns bluish, [lack of oxygen]then it's time for him to go. He will not recover.

Comment

my mom died of congestive heart failure. I was with her. She had a very difficult time breathing. At this point oxygen is scarce and you can see in their eyes that they really dont know what is happening. I held her hand. She had oxygen but it really wasn't helping. There is nothing you can do but hold them Robert. I always prayed she would go in her sleep, but I was glad to be with her when she passed as difficult as it was.

Comment

My apologies to Admin for off topic, and please delete if you believe it's inappropriate, but Peggy0 noted that she was with her mother when she passed. I wanted to add this totally bizarre episode when Karen passed last year.

She was dying in a hospice and I had been with her as much as possible in the five weeks since the diagnosis of brain cancer.

In a hospice [and I thank God they exist] they do not administer any meds except liquid morphine for the pain. There are no life saving devices or tubes or monitoring stations, only food, water, and morphine.

Karen had not eaten a bite for six days nor taken a drink of water. She was 95% comatose. They swabbed her mouth with wet sponges and dripped a little water into her mouth, but only if she would swallow. She weighed 65 lbs.

I asked the head nurse how long can she exist like this, and was told that Karen was resolving things in her mind. She said brain monitoring devices would indicate a high degree of brain wave activity, but nobody would know what she was thinking. Perhaps re-living memories or resolving issues.

Who knows, but she would not pass until she was ready.

Flashback: three months before Karen was diagnosed, she felt like a useless housewife because she could not even do the laundry. The door to the dryer was very stiff and she could not open it. We went to Sears and bought a high end dryer with a top mounted handle that she could operate. It was $1,100 for which we could not afford. So, we donated a perfectly good dryer to charity only because the handle was stiff.

Current: on about the third day of her semi-comatose state, Karen suddenly opened her eyes and looked at me in the chair beside her. She said, "Bob", which she had not called me in years. It was always some form of endearment or cutesy nickname. She said, "Bob, I am sorry about the dryer."

She then dropped back into a coma.

It was the most bizarre thing and it left me crying and bewildered. I later explained it to the head nurse and she said, "You see, Karen has been agonizing over the wasted $1100 and just wanted to resolve it with you."

The nurse added, "Keep talking to her. Even in these last stages, Karen hears every word."

Almost a year later, that strange episode still rings in my head.

Sorry for being so far OT.

bob

Comment

It's quite alright Bob - a very moving story. She obviously loved you so deeply and I can't imagine how hard it has been to go on without her. You have honored her with the incredible dedication you give to your pups. Just like you gave to her...

Natalie

Comment

It seems when Mik eats a resonable meal at 5pm, and then get's his 2.5 IU Vetsulin, the rest of the evening is spent responding to his barking for more food. Since he's lost a pound [from 11 lbs] I encourage his appetitite.

But often, like tonight, he will not eat anything, and just roams the kitchen barking for hours, usually into the night after I've gone to bed.

Nothing will satsify him. He will not take a bit of anything.

During these frantic barking stages, his face is often 4 or 5 inches from a blank wall. I put him near food, he sniffs, walks away, and begins barking again.

For hours.

I have about 15 different foods that he has enjoyed in the past, but not during his barking mode. Nothing works.

I have no idea what to do.

Comment

I really suspect that this may be canine cognitive dysfunction and he doesn't "want" anything - he's disoriented and confused. So there may not be anything you can "do" to help, other than consider trying medication.

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...8576&O=Generic

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dise...rylseniors.htm

inappropriate vocalization - barking or meowing in the middle of the night, or for no 'good' reason
                                Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X