Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

Make sure the dog food has some carbs in it. The insulin is going to metabolize carbs, and if there isn't enough carbs, the liver can start releasing glucose, which can make BG numbers higher.
You must have enough carbs to balance with the insulin dose.

A high protein, low carb diet doesn't work for insulin dependent humans or dogs.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Founding Member

they are hungry when the diabetes isn't controlled and if it is cushings or like cushings, that makes them hungry too

the hardest part is being patient. It can take 5-7 days for an insulin change to acclimate in their body

if they have any ear or tooth infections that can raise blood sugar too

my Jenny's blood sugar barely budged for over 6 weeks when she was diagnosed. My vet didn't want to overshoot the insulin dosage so it just took forever
Old 10-07-2018, 12:58 PM

Yukonis on the Royal Canin hydrolized protein dog food right now. I was reading about the Royal Canin glycobalance dog food for diabetes.

Has or does anyone have their dog on this food or know anything about it? I am thinking about switching over to this food.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiesMom View Post
Yukonis on the Royal Canin hydrolized protein dog food right now. I was reading about the Royal Canin glycobalance dog food for diabetes.

Has or does anyone have their dog on this food or know anything about it? I am thinking about switching over to this food.
Iíve never used it, but with the glycobalance having less fat, more protein and more fiber than the Hydrolyzed, it should help to manage the pancreatitis.

There are so many possibilities for diet. Iíve found that low fat, moderate protein and moderate fiber works best for my dog.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 10-09-2018, 11:37 AM

Hi Everyone, I am getting a little discouraged because Yukon has been on the Insulin for 10 days now and his Blood Sugar is not going down at all - in fact today it started at 543 at 6:30 a.m. then I gave him his meal and insulin and took it again at 12:00 p.m. and it jumped to 567.

I spoke with the Internal Medicine assistant (we have an appointment on 10/29) and she said that there could be various things that are not allowing the insulin to work in his body. Mentioned it could also be some type of stomach or bowel inflammation since they did suspect IBD in the past.

She told me that his sugar levels should be coming down some and the fact that it is not signals there is a problem.

Has anyone experienced this with their animal? Where the blood stayed the same for almost 10 days?

I hung up so upset and discouraged :-( Am I feeding him too much? He is begging for food and I only give him almost a cup of the Hydrolized Protein with some boiled chicken twice a day.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:54 AM

If you are newly diagnosed and just starting insulin, the starting dose is usually pretty conservative and won't cause great changes in BG.
THIS TAKES TIME.

It took me a year to reach good regulation. I had lots of weird periods that defied expectations. It takes a while for the body to decide how it wants to respond. Curves will change, nadir times can change. And dogs can handle high sugar for a time, while you slowly figure out dose, patterns, foods etc.

Higher sugar 6 hours after eating and insulin, why can't that happen? My dog's curve pattern has changed 3 times, from a bowl, to a half mountain, and now back to sort of a bowl.

Please don't expect textbook results.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Last edited by Raysaint; 10-09-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Founding Member

Just to give some perspective it took jesse about 6 months where i considered her regulated but she was difficult for whatever reason

543 and 567 is basically the same number because of the variables of handheld meters especially at a higher range . Now if it was a 100 points lower or higher you may be able to draw some conclusion or if you dog was in the 100s and numbers with a 30 point gap you maybe able to draw some conclusion but not in the 300s or higher

basically at that point in time between those two tests you are seeing resistance in the 500s and if thats the trend throughout the day . Now that maybe because your not giving enough insulin or other medical issues or a combination of both .

Remember full curves are the only way to know how to go forward but spot tests are helpful taking them in a full context over time .
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 10-09-2018, 12:14 PM

Right... donít get discouraged. If Yukon is still on 5 units, thatís below the normal starting dose of 6 units for a 32lb dog.

Are you planning a full 12 hour curve soon?
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 10-09-2018, 01:06 PM

Hi,

We were supposed to have the Glucose Curve again tomorrow, but my vet said not to do it because it is still in the 500's.

She wants me to do a blood glucose test 3 times a day for a couple days and see what the results are. Starting today I will be doing the glucose test at 6:30 a.m., 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. and tracking it.

She said to give it a few days and then she would decide whether to increase his insulin or not.

I am just concerned that it was under 500 when he was diagnosed and now all of a sudden it is sometimes almost 50 -75 points higher. But mostly I am concerned of the long term effects of high blood sugar on his organs.

According to the Emergency Vet they said not to mess with the dosage - the opposite of what my vet is saying. She told me that even if he was on a low does, it would have lowered the Sugar a little and not keep it at the same level.

I am so leary about those 24 hour Emergency Care vets. Seems like all they want to do is give you a price list of how much it is going to cost you and they don't actually care about your dog.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:52 PM

So Yukon's primary vet has basically just given up on him. Texted me back and said it sounds like he is not responsive to the insulin. She knows he didn't do well on the trilostane but she wonders if he is not responding well to diabetes treatment because his cushings is a factor. Said she wasn't sure what to tell me - I probably need to go see and Internal Medicine doctor.

I have been doing some research on the internet and one thing that stood out to me is that Melatonin could possibly interfere with the positive actions of insulin.

Has anyone heard of this? Yukon is on 3mg of Melatonin 2x a day for his Cushings. I am thinking about not giving it to him for a while to see if the levels go down.