Mik is gone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Too many choices? Conflicting smells? In desperation to get food into Mak, I leave for work with small portions of 4 or 5 foods that he has eaten in the past. At times I come home and nothings has been touched.

Other times, one of the bowls is empty, but it's not consistent. It might be one thing one day and another the next.

Am I wrong leaving too many choices and they are confused?

I have been tempted to leave just one, but can't guess which one they would like on that day.
    Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Bob,

With the way both Mik and Mak decide what they will or won't eat, I think how you're handling it is the only way. You have no idea what Mak will decide to eat and you're trying to "cover all the bases" by leaving some of each one he's known to have eaten in the past.

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Inappetance

Even though the link above is written with a slant toward getting a diabetic pet to eat, you might find some ideas there. At times, vets do need to give drugs to stimulate the appetite; there's a chart on the page of the most commonly prescribed ones. You might ask your vet if any of them might be good to get Mak through this spell of not eating.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/htm/bc/tphm02.htm

This link is to how they are prescribed. With the approval of your vet, one might be right for Mak.

HTH!

Kathy

Comment

Good stuff, Kathy, thanks
        Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

With our heart patient, Chris, there was never any rhyme or reason to when he would eat something and when he wouldn't. Something he loved Tuesday he'd refuse on Wednesday. It's just the nature of the beast I think. Some days they just don't want to eat I don't think it's anything you have or haven't done.

Natalie

Comment

I fear that I'm losing them both. Mak has not eaten more than maybe a cup of food in a week. Vet says just keep trying, but there's not a food I have not tried. He hacks and coughs all day. Vet says heart is failing. Hopeless.

Mik ate well for about a week, then two days ago decided, no more. It's like they've both given up.

I know since Karen died 10 months ago, they have been visually and obviously depressed. She was with them 24/7, and now they just sort of find a spot and remain there until I literally carry them to the kitchen. Neither will even come to the kitchen except for water. They sniff the various foods I have on the floor and leave.

They used to meet me at the door. Now I have to go find them.

I am very upset, but vet says there is nothing more he or I can do except keep encouraging them to eat.

Comment

Hi Robert,

I'm keeping the faith and saying a prayer.

Take them for a ride in the car and stop at burger King. Burger shots without condiments (Maybe a change in atmosphere might help)

Praying for Mik and Mak.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Originally posted by robertpri View Post
                I fear that I'm losing them both. Mak has not eaten more than maybe a cup of food in a week. Vet says just keep trying, but there's not a food I have not tried. He hacks and coughs all day. Vet says heart is failing. Hopeless.

Mik ate well for about a week, then two days ago decided, no more. It's like they've both given up.

I know since Karen died 10 months ago, they have been visually and obviously depressed. She was with them 24/7, and now they just sort of find a spot and remain there until I literally carry them to the kitchen. Neither will even come to the kitchen except for water. They sniff the various foods I have on the floor and leave.

They used to meet me at the door. Now I have to go find them.

I am very upset, but vet says there is nothing more he or I can do except keep encouraging them to eat.
                Robert,
                I am so sorry to hear this I will be saying prayers for them both.
                I think your wee dogs are maybe broken hearted as they both loved Karen very much just as you did.

It is very hard to make them eat Robert and I know what you must be going through. I cried when I read your post.

You have certainly done your best Robert as regards their care, and I know your wee dogs will know this too.

Hugs to the three of you. I am thinking about you.
                Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Thank you.

I honestly do now understand how Mak can function, or even remain conscious. He walks to his water several times a day, does his very minimal body functions where he is supposed to, and then just lies in one spot all day.

I am not kidding about a "one cup of food in a week". He might eat one, repeat, one cheerio and walk away.

Every morning I wake and expect to find him in a coma or passed on.

Comment

Robert,
                    I too am praying for them and you today. You all have been through a lot in the last year.
                    Lifting you up,
                    Patty
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

This is so heart breaking I am so sorry to hear this. At this point I would try anything to get them to eat... whatever you cook to eat for yourself, whatever you buy... anything....

I know it might not be the best for them but it's worth a shot...

Again, I'm so sorry to hear this...

Comment

Hi Robert,

Your post is heartbreaking... perhaps Mak will pass on one night soon and in a way I hope that he can slip away quietly in his sleep when the time comes. That is what we wished for with Chris but it was not to be and we had to make the hard decision to release him. The last year of Chris' life he slept more and more. In times past he would never go to bed before we did. But every month that went by he spent more time curled up in the bedroom asleep - whole evenings. That is when we knew that our time with him was growing short...

All you can do for Mak now is let him know how much you love him - that's the best medicine.

Mik may be aware that Mak is slipping away and that may be contributing to his not wanting to eat.

I don't know why I didn't ask this before - is Mak on Vetmedin (pimobenden)?

It made a huge difference for Chris as far as his quality of life and I have heard the same about other dogs. I don't recall exactly what Mak's heart diagnosis is...

There is a point where our efforts, medicine's efforts can do no more and all you can do is love them well for the time remaining, as I'm sure you are acutely aware after losing your wife.

Thinking of you,

Natalie

Comment

Many thanks.
                          I still have not recovered from sitting beside my wife for 35 days while she slowly slipped away.

I don't know what I dread most: coming home or waking up to find Mak has gone, or having to take him for that final trip to the vet.

Billions and billions of people have suffered far more than me, but I still cannot help becoming depressed at times.

Comment

Robert,

This is so sad. I am so sorry that you, Mik and Mak are going through this. My heart is breaking for you. You and your sweet pups have been through so much this past year. Keeping the three of you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to all of you.
                            Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Bob,

I can't add anything to what's been said except to say that I have all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Just remember that we are all here for you if you need us.

Kathy

Comment

Robert,
                                We are still keeping good thoughts and saying a prayer for all three of you.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Working...
                                X