Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved numbers

Originally posted by BoJanie View Post
    Hope you post your curve soon with the increased Levemir dose, I'd be interested to see it.
    Hi Janie,
    I was going to do a curve today but wasn't able to be home consistently enough to do it... But I wanted to let you know Bogies numbers are improving he is running about 300 am fasting and has been in the low 200 (Yep, low 200 at pm fasting) I am definitely doing the curve on Saturday so will post later that evening.
    I think I found the culprit of the higher numbers and it was not going for his walks... We have been walking now for the past 3 days and his numbers have improved greatly.
    I'll post more in a couple of days and I hope Bo is doing well on his increase.
    Dawn
    Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

• Re: Bogie - miniature schnauzer

Hi Dawn,
      Good news on your numbers! Look forward to your curve too. We dropped our dose yesterday from the 3.5 Levemir 2 x day to 3 1/8. I kept worrying about the lows that come with Levemir peaking around 1-3 both day and night. I was giving treats in anticipation and that's not a good thing, we want to be more consistent with the food. I did a loose curve today (no walk, no treats except green beans after a test). Don't like the 357 fasting, but I had tested at 1:00am and had given a treat so he wouldn't go too low.

5:30am 357 food/shot
      9:30am 285
      12:00pm 149
      1:30pm 136
      3:00pm 134
      4:30pm 169
      5:30 pm 264 food/shot
      10:00pm 262

Comment

• Newest Curve

Hi,
        We just finished our most recent curve...

I was getting better numbers in the am and pm the last 3 days prior but today (roughly 280 to 300) but it's higher today Although I finally got a number @ 180.

Please let me know what you think... We are currently on 3.5 units of Levemir am and pm.

6am 336 (Prior to food and insulin)

8am 321

10am 239

12pm 180

2pm 214

4pm 334

6pm 357 (Prior to food and insulin)

Thanks,
        Dawn
        Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Hey there. Well if he usually starts out lower, then the 12:00 nadir would probably be lower too.

That being said the numbers look fairly steady and with the 180 you have some wiggle room. You could try just a slight increase and spot check at the nadir time. Probably would be a good idea to start the increase in the am. So you could test durning the day.

Tara
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Hi Dawn, don't be discouraged, that's not too bad. I reduced our dose to 3 1/8 and posted my semi-curve from Thursday. So, of course yesterday the bgs went back up again. Our lowest reading was at 2:30pm (usually our insulin peak) and it was 208...today I gave just a tad more, about 3.25 at 5:30am. The fasting bg was 166 (great). It went to 328 at 8:30am (food spike) but then way down to 113 at 11:30am! Bo was groomed this morning, so that bit of exercise and excitement must have lowered his bg. I had to give treats as I was leaving for a few hours and wouldn't be home to watch him at the peak. When I tested at 5:30pm, yep, it was back up to 376! Right now, it's 249. You could probably tweak your dose a bit as Tara says, but we may just have to accept some of these 300's as part of a day with Levemir and Schnauzers. I think you are doing really well considering that and you should to be proud that you are getting him as regulated as you are. I'm just so relieved to be out of 400/500s!

Comment

A lot if times their curves either look like bowls or mountains if you'd graph them. You have a bowl. So now you can base adjustments on the 180, the lowest spot. Congrats on your curve! It took me forever to do one
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks for your reply's

Tomorrow and Tuesday I am going to spot check Bogie around noon just to get an idea of his daily nadir. This morning his number was back down to 301...
                It's so strange how there body changes even though the food and routine stays the same.

Janie you certainly hit the nail on the head when you said we may have to accept some of the 300's with our sweet little schnauzer's. I just wish I could get my vet to recognize that these guys aren't as easy to regulate as some of the other pups out there I hope Bo is responding better to his new adjustment. Please keep me posted on him.

Dawn

Comment

Well, we might as well add exercise into the mix of confusion! We had a 78 today after a walk! So we are trending down that much just with some exercise? Must be a way to figure this into the dosing. Wonder if there is a formula for such or a thread?
                  Last edited by BoJanie; 10-28-2012, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Dawn,

Some words of encouragement. My Abby is 1/2 schnauzer, and at times she creeps up to 300s, but shortly. Same food, same time, weight of food...ugh. I think as long as they stay in a relatively low range MOST of the day, it is good.

We have been at this for a year and half...believe me do not sweat the small stuff, and aim for consistency, and a safe range. You will get there.

Wonderful job on your curve.

Barb
                    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Well, we might as well add exercise into the mix of confusion! We had a 78 today after a walk! So we are trending down that much just with some exercise? Must be a way to figure this into the dosing. Wonder if there is a formula for such or a thread?
                      Wow, I know Bogie drops about 80 to 100 when we walk him... Levemir is very strong... I know now I will be drawing up increases almost in drops. If I remember correctly (I think) it is either Ruby Tuesday or Jessie's girl who does micro dosing. I would bet there is a thread or maybe one can be started to get some input on it. Hang in there... We're pulling for you.

Barb,
                      Thanks for the encouragement!!! I really try not to sweat the small stuff but it sure is hard sometimes. Although, I am getting better at it
                      Last edited by BogiesMom; 10-29-2012, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Dawn,

Did you raise Bogie's Levemir dose? Are you going to post another curve? Would sure like to see it when you do it again. We are at 3.25 twice a day and I'm a little frustrated with it. The fasting bgs are often still in the 300+ range but because the lows mid day are usually under 150, I'm scared to go any higher on the dose. We walked today before noon. I gave pre-emptive treats then more when we got back. 12:30 bg was 134. 2:50pm, 106 bg. That's ok for 3:00pm, he won't go lower, but would not be surprised to see a 300 at 5:30 and this is what I dislike about Levemir not lasting. You don't have that problem do you? Doesn't Bogie have more level bg's?

Comment

Hi Janie,

Yes, I am currently raising Bogie's dose and really trying to do it ever so slowly but these syringes certainly don't make it easy for those micro doses. I spoke with my vet the other day and he wants me to take Bogie up another 1/2 unit to a total of 4. I started last night but with 1/4 unit... His fasting BG at 6am was 289 and in the evening I am generally seeing mid to high 200's. I'll check tonight before I feed to see what he is running and post it here. I have found that the levemir generally last Bogie about 9 to 10 hours roughly and then he starts to rise. Although with the increases of levemir his rising numbers have been lower. He has been alert and busy all day except for those occasional dog naps

Yes, Bogie has always runs fairly level (fingers crossed) and he has never been on anything other than Levemir and W/D with chicken.
                          Friday I will do a small curve and if he is still high I am going to bring him up to the 4 unit mark. I plan to do a full curve on Wednesday. I will post the numbers later that evening.
                          I will keep you updated on Bogie's numbers from now until then.

It certainly is nerve racking!! I even hate the days that I have to raise his dose because I never know if it is going to be too much. I am thankful everyone here stressed the importance of going slow and small increments with the levemir... I know in the very beginning I gave too much because his dia stix was neg for a day and a half and I was ecstatic at the time thinking he was at a good level when in fact he was probably too low. That's when I joined the group and found a wealth of information that my vet should have told me.

Thank God for home BG meters My vet wants Bogie to be around the 170 mark preferably so that is what we are aiming for.

Well, I spoke too soon... Tonight's BG @ 5:45 was 308
                          Last edited by BogiesMom; 10-31-2012, 10:21 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

And our bg at 5:30 was 200! So much for guessing.

Comment

Dawn,

Did you raise Bogie's Levemir dose? Are you going to post another curve? Would sure like to see it when you do it again. We are at 3.25 twice a day and I'm a little frustrated with it. The fasting bgs are often still in the 300+ range but because the lows mid day are usually under 150, I'm scared to go any higher on the dose. We walked today before noon. I gave pre-emptive treats then more when we got back. 12:30 bg was 134. 2:50pm, 106 bg. That's ok for 3:00pm, he won't go lower, but would not be surprised to see a 300 at 5:30 and this is what I dislike about Levemir not lasting. You don't have that problem do you? Doesn't Bogie have more level bg's?
                              When decker's levemir dose was being slowly raised it seemed exercise had a negative impact on his numbers. Once he was at his maintenance dose the levemir worked well.
                              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Gosh, we are still really hopeful about Levemir. As much as I complain, it is far superior to the NPH we tried. For the mini schnauzers, it seems to work so much better and look forward to getting to the maintenance sweet spot!

Comment

Working...
                                X