Senior Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior Dogs

I came across this article, and the last paragraph really push it home for me, that states:

"The last years and months we share with our geriatric dogs are among the most bittersweet times in dog lovers’ lives. We know, from the moment we choose these guys as puppies or meet their limpid stares at the animal shelter, that our hearts will be torn apart some day. What makes it so much worse is that the older they get, the sweeter they get, and when they reach absolute critical sweetness—you simply cannot love them any more than you already do—they grow completely exhausted and die. ..."

The entire article is here:
    http://thebark.com/content/be-gentle-i-know-my-dog-old

Enjoy each and every day.
    Barb
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Re: Senior Dogs

so true. I adopted a 13 year old springer with heartworms. I've had her 2 years so she gets grayer every day. She still can jump up on the couch and run a bit outside. every night she comes to me at 7p with those big old sad eyes and says 'its time for bed' won't you come with me LOL. she just lays on my feet until I get up to go to my room. I love her more every day because she does get sweeter and sweeter. you have to enjoy and give them extra hugs every single day. you never know when its their last but you know they were loved ALOT until the last minute. I think they do as well.
    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
      I came across this article, and the last paragraph really push it home for me, that states:

"The last years and months we share with our geriatric dogs are among the most bittersweet times in dog lovers’ lives. We know, from the moment we choose these guys as puppies or meet their limpid stares at the animal shelter, that our hearts will be torn apart some day. What makes it so much worse is that the older they get, the sweeter they get, and when they reach absolute critical sweetness—you simply cannot love them any more than you already do—they grow completely exhausted and die. ..."

The entire article is here:
      http://thebark.com/content/be-gentle-i-know-my-dog-old

Enjoy each and every day.
      Barb
      This truly hits home as it is almost 2 weeks since Scooter left us. I got an email from his first mom today (her husband, Tom, deceased, was Scooter's first dad and he loved Scooter so very much) and she told me she had a dream about Scooter.

She said:

Now I have to tell you a funny dream I had the other night. Scooter
      went walking up to the "Pearly Gates" with tail wagging and
      said to St. Peter "Where is Tom?" He was pointed in the right direction
      and the two were re-united. Of course, they were both so excited to see each
      other and Tom did seem to know that Scooter had been living with you and
      Carl. Tom couldn't get over how healthy and happy Scooter looked. I then woke up!

Scooter did get sweeter...he was impossible not to love....everyone loved Scooter.

Thanks for sharing, Barb.

Eileen
      Scooter, Born 1/12/2003, passed away 8/2013~10 lb Maltese, dx 3/2010, lived a happy life.

Comment

What a great story Eileen.
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Sniffle

Thanks for sharing...
          Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Ahh, This hit's so close to home for me... My sweet, sweet girl Cassie is going to be 12 years old on Tuesday the 16th. It's so hard for me to watch her getting older as she has some hard days with her arthritis and we have to carry her up stairs at night to go to bed, then on other days she gets around like a young dog which is great to see.
            She is my first fur child, she has, and always will have a very special place in my heart.

Thank you for sharing this Barb...
            Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Originally posted by peeweek9 View Post
              This truly hits home as it is almost 2 weeks since Scooter left us. I got an email from his first mom today (her husband, Tom, deceased, was Scooter's first dad and he loved Scooter so very much) and she told me she had a dream about Scooter.

She said:

Now I have to tell you a funny dream I had the other night. Scooter
              went walking up to the "Pearly Gates" with tail wagging and
              said to St. Peter "Where is Tom?" He was pointed in the right direction
              and the two were re-united. Of course, they were both so excited to see each
              other and Tom did seem to know that Scooter had been living with you and
              Carl. Tom couldn't get over how healthy and happy Scooter looked. I then woke up!

Scooter did get sweeter...he was impossible not to love....everyone loved Scooter.

Thanks for sharing, Barb.

Eileen
              Sorry to reactivate an older thread, but I read that and it reminded me of something a friend told me when we didn't know Ruger was diabetic and was really worried of him passing. Called The Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
              All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
              You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
              Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
              Author unknown...

Comment

Working...
              X