No announcement yet.

Introducing......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I named my sisters back lab Seamus, so can't have 2 in the family . I wanted a nice Italian name for him like Luco, Luciano, or my nephew calls him Padre pio.

Joey wants 3 names- Stevie van zandt, Michael j. Fox, or Anthony Michael hall.

Oh the choices...
    I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Comment

Re: Introducing......

Debbie
      he is adorable, and his faith compass was on point to find you
      Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

What's "lover boy" in Italian? This dog is convinced everyone loves him, so he loves everyone, too.

I can tell, from that magnificent picture!
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        CarolW

Comment

http://www.geocities.ws/dog_names/na...g_italian.html

here ya go! I like dolce!
          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I think Elmo is appropriate: "It means worthy to be loved", from Peggy's link.
            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Luigi

Hello everyone! Hope all is well.

We went with Luigi for his name! Well Luigi has fleas...again!!!! Found them this morning paniced, threw him in the sink and washed him with Dawn. Ran to get frontline but forgot I can't use it until 48 hrs after bath. Got another for Pia and already have revolution for Churchill. Pia and Churchill aren't itching and didn't see anything on them.

I'm flipping again and very worried the house is infested . In all my years with dogs we only had 1 flea, 1 time on Casey. What is it with these animals these days.

So my questions are:
              1. Is my house infested, if so, what do I do?
              2. Should I use frontline or revolution moving forward
              3. Should I throw his beds out? I just got him a posturepedic mattress and would hate to do that.

THIS ANIMALS ARE DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!

On top of it all, I found 3 kittens and a mommy living in the tree next door to my house. So they're in my garage and we built them a giant enclosure. They were only supposed to be there for a few days, it's 2 weeks now. It's gotta end!!!!
              I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Comment

I found this quote on the Frontline site:

FRONTLINE Plus remains effective for 30 days, even if your pet swims or is bathed. After application, keep your pet from getting wet for 24 hours. If FRONTLINE Plus is to be applied after a bath, make sure your pet is completely dry before application.

So you can use it right away (just make sure your pup is dry).

I didn't use Frontline monthly. I found that if I used it twice a year it would do the trick. Now, keep in mind Scooter lived a very sheltered life. I didn't like applying it at all, but did it minimally and it worked great. I don't know if it is just my paranoia (or cynicism) but I think once monthly is too much (every dog and environment is different). But, once you get the infestation under control (IF you have one, which likely you don't) try it every other month, then every two, etc. Just my two cents.

Also, if you go to this page: www.frontline.com/Pages/FAQ.aspx you will find some answers to the concerns you have. You may have to bring in someone to help get rid of the fleas (and the eggs, which have cycles) to be rid of them completely. I notice in the picture you have hardwood floors which is better than carpet as far as fleas go.

As to getting rid of them, here is a site that offers ideas to get rid of them in your home naturally:www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fleas-Naturally.

It does state to put the bedding (if it will fit) into a hot dryer for 15 minutes...so you shouldn't have to throw out the bedding.

I freaked a little when I found a couple of fleas on my dog as fleas have a cycle (eggs hatching, etc), but you likely don't have an infestation. You would see them 'jumping' and it would be obvious if it was bad. If you are really worried, call an exterminator to do a check of the house (just don't let them tell you that a treatment is necessary unless they actually SHOW you where they are).

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by peeweek9; 11-06-2013, 01:03 PM.
                Scooter, Born 1/12/2003, passed away 8/2013~10 lb Maltese, dx 3/2010, lived a happy life.

Comment

I've so missed your posts! Glad to have you back!!!

We use advantage on the cat/dogs. The new pup brought some fleas with him. Treated all the animals but poor Kinser seems to have a flea allergy and one bite will set him scratching for weeks on end. We just tend to wash everything in warm water and dry it on high heat. Knock on wood, have never had an infestation we couldn't manage with a little extra cleaning.

Glad to hear all the cats are doing well and that you've offered a safe haven for some additional ones. You have such a big heart!
                  Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Holli-congrats on the new puppy, he's adorable. Decker would be happy.

I pop in here and there,m but so many new faces. Haven't seen anything from Shelly, hope her and hank are doing well.

Being my neurotic self, as so many of you know, I'm scared to put the treatment on them. Scared something will happen, but I have no choose. The dog is definitely allergic to the bites. His poor skin is almost raw in a spot. I forgot about the bathing wait period when I panicked and bathed him. At least I didn't shave him like poor Casey. Won't lie, it crossed my mind.

A few weeks ago Churchill ate a whole mouse, but left the tail. I called the vet and they said he should be fine, but I called out of work to watch him. This is what I found when looking for him after finding the tail.

I realized I only miss work because of the animals, the last time was with Nibbles. I called the vet a total of 3 times that week. Simon (newest cat, not a garage cat) threw up what appeared to be some blood. They said to keep and eye on him but he seems fine. Pia had a mysterious scrape on her head that I was scared she some how banged somewhere so called about a possible concussion. I know they think I'm nuts, but I don't care, better safe than sorry.

The garage kitties are really keeping me busy. I hate that there's no place that will take them and help them. I called so many and no room anywhere. They are costing me an arm and leg. I wish I could have a fundraiser for myself. Can't wait for my favorite holiday, BLACK FRIDAY to stock up on cat litter!

And finally the flea bag, Luigi

Comment

Great pictures Debbie. You should have a fundraiser!
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Too bad you don't live in my neighborhood! Those 'garage kitties would be snapped up in a day or two!!

Love the pics!
                        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

very cute a large and happy family with challenges as all big families do
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

ha ha ha. love the bucket pic and your flea infested boy!

My Dad and his neighbor feed a lot of outdoor cats in their neighborhood. Now he thinks people deliberately abandon their cats in his neighborhood cause they know they will get fed. It's a nightmare.

what if you became an official foster with a local rescue? would they help you with cat food then? That is why my Dad started helping his neighbor.

Your heart is so huge and I hope the fleas are now gone. One of the nice things about living in the frozen tundra of northern Minnesota is that all of the nasty bugs get killed during our winters.
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Wonderful pics, Debbie. I just love your crew! How does everyone get along?

Barb
                              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Well Judi I can only be called a "foster" of I take the cats from them, not the street. It's pretty rough living in the city. I swear these cats are the sweetest cleanest cats. All of the ones I have now/placed in homes/and my own are great. All of them have their claws and none of them ever used them. Churchill and the dog are best friends. They fly through the house together. Pia likes him but is scared. Still can't get Pia and Churchill together. He just bites her and goes for the throat. Me and Joey are nervous wrecks and can't just let them fight it out because Churchill is so much bigger than Pia. We Have a bug crate in the living room that we swap them out in so everyone can safely play together. Simon is the newest and we took him in because he was out there for a few months then all of a sudden to an extreme liking to us and I would have to leave through the back because he wouldn't let me in my car.

Simon is around 5yo and is the oldest and biggest. He was out last month and Joey wanted to be brave and try him with Pia because they are both pretty gently and he was outside with all the strays behaving fine. I did not want to have any part in it!!!! So I;m sitting on the couch and Joey starting spraying the water bottle and screaming. It was like a he had a machine gun and a scene form Scarface. Simon attacked Pia. Thankfully she wasn't hurt, but she was quite shocked. She cowarded near the back door and just kept hissing after he was long gone. I'm a little scared of Simon to be honest. He swats at us and moves real fast and gets in front of our feet when we try to leave him. He hates when we leave or walk away from him. He just likes to sit on our laps and chest for hours. I would like to find him a nice home too, maybe with an older person.

Joey has a timeline so everyone gets fair amount of time. He's a real goof.

I scruffed my first kitten the other night to apply the revolution. Was pretty scared and proud of myself.

I googled animal hoarders the other night to be sure I wasn't becoming one. To my relief I don't fit the criteria. I want these animals to get good homes and out of MY house. I don't WANT to keep them. I have no problem housing them but I need a quick turnover!

Well tonight is when I apply the treatments, I'm gonna try not to watch them like a hawk! Wish me luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X