Understanding Pepper's Juvenile Diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Understanding Pepper's Juvenile Diabetes

Is this the thread someone wanted me to find? i am by no means the juvenile diabetic expert, but we did successfully regulate Hero who was diagnosed at 8 weeks. For those who remember my little friend, he lived a wonderful life as a regulated diabetic dog and never lost his eye sight!

He has been gone now since June 21st 2013, but he will never be forgotten.

Lisa

I can be reached at ChivalryESS@aol.com
    Lisa & Hero DOB 11/25/2007-June 21st, 2013
    DX Jan 2008

Comment

I tested Hero's blood sugar several times through the day regularly. If he looked at me cross eyed I tested him. In the beginning, I tested every hour while introducing R to the NPH. The puppy will not make headway in any kind of housetraining until the blood sugar comes wayyyy down. Under 200. We tried for tight regulation with Hero, to preserve his organs. He was never neutered. Several vets told me they wouldn't do it. i even spoke to the large animal vets about banding, but we were all concerned as a diabetic he would heal properly, so he was regulated as a growing intact male. He never made adult springer size though, and was my little midget. He never got above 32 lbs.

For now i would suggest making a puppy xpen, the bottom of a plastic crate filled with yesterday's news cat litter (its pelleted newspaper) and get her trained to use it. Puppies use it pretty regularly and quite easily. They want to be clean, they just can't stop peeing. I would give free access to more water than she can drink while unattended, but until the blood sugar comes down you won't do anything about the peeing and constant thirst.
      Lisa
      Lisa & Hero DOB 11/25/2007-June 21st, 2013
      DX Jan 2008

Comment

Hi Lisa!

So sorry to hear that Hero passed... he obviously had a lot of challenges in his life. I hope you and yours are well.

Natalie

Comment

Another puppy diabetic...

Comment

Working...
          X