X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Vit E Question

Hi Guys,

Happy New Year!!

Quick question??? My vet wants Bogie on fish oil and vit e for his kidney problems and in the past vit e has always raised his BG numbers... Well, once again his numbers are back up anywhere from high 200 to mid 300's in fact this am he was 382 at fasting. Big disappointment since we were down in the low to mid 200's to high 100's for awhile. We generally walk but it has been raining alot here.

Is there really a need for the vit e tab since the W/D has vit e in it's food?? Also, if so is there another way to add it I know some add eggs etc.
    He is also now taking Enalapril 5mg for his kidneys since the 21st and not sure if that is raising his numbers?

I am going to run a full curve next week after my mom leaves with her dog back to AZ and things return to normal... Maybe that will help a little too although Bogie loves both of them...

His blood panel and urinalysis came back ok other than the kidney problem and the BG levels.

Thanks for your help...
    Dawn
    Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

• Re: Bogie - miniature schnauzer

Don't know about Vit E raising BGs. I give Annie a 400iu capsule of Vit E daily. I just place it on her morning kibble and she "eats" it along with the kibble. For larger capsules, like fish oil, I puncture the capsule with the used lancet and squeeze the liquid onto her food.
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

• Re: Another Vit E Question

Originally posted by BogiesMom View Post
        Hi Guys,

Happy New Year!!

Quick question??? My vet wants Bogie on fish oil and vit e for his kidney problems and in the past vit e has always raised his BG numbers... Well, once again his numbers are back up anywhere from high 200 to mid 300's in fact this am he was 382 at fasting. Big disappointment since we were down in the low to mid 200's to high 100's for awhile. We generally walk but it has been raining alot here.

Is there really a need for the vit e tab since the W/D has vit e in it's food?? Also, if so is there another way to add it I know some add eggs etc.
        He is also now taking Enalapril 5mg for his kidneys since the 21st and not sure if that is raising his numbers?

I am going to run a full curve next week after my mom leaves with her dog back to AZ and things return to normal... Maybe that will help a little too although Bogie loves both of them...

His blood panel and urinalysis came back ok other than the kidney problem and the BG levels.

Thanks for your help...
        Dawn
        Ok, Acually I read back at my previous post and answered some of my questions...

I am wondering if Spinich would be a good to add to his food?? The nutritional value is...

It will provide 3.5mg (24% DV) of vitamin E in a 100g serving, 6.7mg (44% DV) per cup
        Spinach Raw Serving Size 100gCalories 23% Daily Value*Total Fat 0.39g 1% Saturated Fat 0.063g 0%Cholesterol 0mg 0%Sodium 79mg 3%Total Carbohydrate 3.6g 1% Dietary Fiber 2.2g 9% Sugar 0.4g ~Protein 2.9g

Could this be a good addition to his diet as well as vit e that my vet would like added?

Thanks for your help...
        Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Dawn,

I actually found that vitamin E lowered Abby's BG... But then again every dog is different. Perhaps it is the Enalapril. Spinach has a lot of vitamin e...

Happy New Year
          Barb
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
            Don't know about Vit E raising BGs. I give Annie a 400iu capsule of Vit E daily. I just place it on her morning kibble and she "eats" it along with the kibble. For larger capsules, like fish oil, I puncture the capsule with the used lancet and squeeze the liquid onto her food.
            Hi Craig,

Bogie only gets 100 IU's It doesn't seem as though this should be raising his numbers this much. It's just mind boggling to me about his numbers They were doing really well and now there up again... Gotta love the life of a diabetic dog They definatley keep our minds going.

But as they say... Every dog is differant!!

Maybe my next curve will give me some answers... and my new vet will have some suggestions. I want to keep his BG in range but it's so important to keep his kidneys in a good range too.

Any suggestions I can use or run by my vet would help...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
              Dawn,
              Perhaps it is the Enalapril.
              Happy New Year
              Barb
              Thank you Barb... I am starting to think that as well.

Happy New Year!!

Comment

Hi Dawn,

Here is a link to a thread Natalie started regarding the benefits of fish oil. Vitamin E is also mentioned by a few members. I hope this helps.

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1630
                Last edited by Lulusmom; 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BogiesMom View Post
                  Gotta love the life of a diabetic dog They definatley keep our minds going.
                  Know what you mean. Annie had perfect numbers for several weeks. Then I bought a new bag of Royal Canin Diabetic formula and noticed the ingredients were changed (big change) from the previous bag. Her numbers now shoot up the lat two hours prior to the next meal. Just when I thought we could go on auto-pilot!
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Lulusmom View Post
                    Hi Dawn,

Here is a link to a thread Natalie started regarding the benefits of fish oil. Vitamin E is also mentioned by a few members. I hope this helps.

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1630
                    Thank you Glynda for finding this thread for me it is very informative

Comment

Dawn,
                      What brand of vit E were you using? Wondering if there's a filler that's messing up bgs.
                      Patty
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                        Dawn,
                        What brand of vit E were you using? Wondering if there's a filler that's messing up bgs.
                        Patty
                        He is getting Solgar Natural which also has Salfflower oil, Gelatin and Vegetable Glycerin...
                        I never thought to look for other ingrediants in the Vit E... Do you think these other ingrediants could be messing with things??

Comment

Could be. I'd try switching and see if it makes a difference. I used to use the NOW brand vit E for Ali because of her allergies. It didn't have a lot of risky allergen fillers. This was ours for comparison: http://www.nutritiongeeks.com/vitami...heryl-now.html
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

• Bogies update and curve

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update on Bogie… He is doing well looks good and is active. We just completed our most recent curve since 11/17/12 that is when my previous vet settled on the 4.5 units of Levemir. I have been doing my am and pm fasting numbers daily and spot checks in between.
                            Here is today’s curve~

05:30am (Pre shot and food) 313
                            07:30am 414
                            09:30am 257
                            09:40am short walk
                            11:30am 204
                            01:30pm 141
                            03:30pm 171
                            05:15pm 177
                            05:35pm (fed 10 min prior and rechecked BG 257)

He goes up pretty fast following his food… He remains on W/D and boiled chicken breast.

He goes into the ophthalmologist on Feb 5th for a recheck on his cataracts, his eye’s looks ok to me and we are praying that they have not increased in size he still is getting the Diclofenac 0.1% eye drops every other day. But if they have hubby and I are doing the surgery.

Bogie remains on the Enalapril for his kidneys and is seeing a new vet
                            Last edited by BogiesMom; 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

looks really good especially where he came from congrats on the curve

yes the spike is quite common for many and you could add a small amount of fast acting insulin at mealtime to tame the spike you could make a suggestion to your vet if that is something you may consider you might want to drop the levemir dose by a half unit and add a half unit of a fast acting to start

just a thought
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

great news!
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X