advice-please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numbing cream

Is there a gel or numbing cream or something out there to put on before giving the shot ? Chester is biting and twisting all over the place and yipping when he gets the shot .

Comment

Re: numbing cream

I'm not an expert, being new to the forum. You might look for info elsewhere in other threads. I have read that some owners of min-pins have to use a muzzle on their dogs. (Post #15 in "Very New to Dog Diabetes & even this forum stuff" by gizzy629.) Must depend on the breed and temperament.

Link to Gizzy's thread: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2235

Our little terrier hardly notices that I'm doing anything at all for injections. Now, BG readings are another matter. I've finally learned how to do it with a minimum of difficulty. Part of the problem was me!

From what I've read, that is probably not your situation. Best of luck to you and yours.
      Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
      Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
      Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
      Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Hello!
        Maybe you are injecting too deep? It just goes under the skin (subcutaneous).
        Carrol
        Carrol & Sparky (AKC Nuage Sparks a Flyin') Bichon Frise 10 yrs. old, diagnosed October 2010, 18.8lbs, Humulin N 5 1/2u twice a day; 2/3 cup Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight with 1 tsp. Blue Buffalo canned chicken meatloaf twice daily. REALLY likes: Romaine lettuce

Comment

Part of the difficulty may now be that Chester expects the injection to hurt. There are two reasons it may hurt:

1) The insulin in the syringe may not be WARM enough. It needs to be practically at BODY (greater than room) temperature, in the syringe, when you inject. People have various ways of warming the insulin in the syringe just before injecting.

2) You might not be turning the bevel on the needle up (away from the skin) when you inject), or might be injecting in a difficult place.

I suggest the for a very detailed review, you access the link in my signature about painless injections, and read through the pages carefully - there are many of them, so it will take you some time.

Then report back, please!

Sun, 7 Nov 2010 21:56:58 (PST)
          http://www.coherentdog.org/
          CarolW

Comment

thank you for the responses . i will read the link to painless injections and will see if that hopefully helps some .

Comment

How much are you able to rotate injection sites?

I think you are using thin-needled syringes but will mention that just in case too. I've seen quite a few small dogs start to dislike injections from larger-needled syringes after a while.

When is he thrashing and biting?

Is it before you even put the needle in, as you pierce the skin, as you depress the plunger to deliver the insulin, as you remove the needle?

Natalie

Comment

chester gets all nuts when he is picked up to be put in postion for the shot . he knows already . I use a 1/2 inch needle and believe it is 30 guage.

Comment

How about changing up his routine? Maybe inject him while he's on the floor or lying in your lap?

Some folks inject while they are eating so they are distracted. Or you can offer a reward after his injection so he looks forward to it.

Natalie

Comment

There are smaller needles. You can ask for 5/16", 31 gauge. You can get these with 1/2 unit markings as well.
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Oh, I certainly can relate to your struggles with Chester! I have tried a number of different needles and finally settled on 31 gauge 5/16 as Patty suggested. I used longer needles in the beginning because Pip would "dance around" so much the needle would come out. However, I think the shorter needles are more comfortable for Pip.

Pip is very wild as well and what I do is put him on the counter with a plate of food in front of him! No food and he absolutely will not cooperate.

I break up two diabetic cookies, and roll his pills into a piece of low fat cheese. I have to hold him back and make him lie down before I let him eat. If he's standing he's too hard to control.

Once he lies down, I put the plate in front of him. As he's eating I inject. I have been doing this for 3 years and every time I give Pip his shot he stops eating and turns around to look at me. Just letting me know that he knows what I'm doing!

I have messed up shots in the beginning because it either took me too long to inject or I tented the skin too hard - or who knows? I had to learn what he would and would not tolerate. He didn't tolerate too much in the beginning and had to be muzzled.

The good news is that we both eventually figured it out! He can't bully me out of doing it and I have learned how to make the shot as painless as possible. You will too. It just takes practice. Make sure you warm up the insulin after you draw it up into the needle and place the bevel down.

These hyper, strong-willed little dogs are tough, but hopefully Chester is food motivated!

Actually I received lidocaine (which is a numbing cream) for testing but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Good luck!!!

Pam

Comment

I have to say that Fergy's an angel in this regard.

All I say is "shot and a treat" or "bloodtest and a treat" and his tail starts pumpin' and he jumps up on the stool, ready for action.

He loves the treat. We call 'em chocolates as that's what they look like. They're moist and mostly chicken and chicken parts. Small size approx. 1/2"x1/2"x1/4". Avail thru your vet or...http://www.bizrate.com/dog-supplies/...animal-supply/.

Cheers

Harry.

Comment

Harry, I saw the price on the "Lean Treats" but am confused about how many are in a package. Could you give me that information, please? (Thanks in advance!)
                          Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her

Comment

diabetes and cushings

Does diabetes and cushings go hand in hand ? Chester was checked 3 months ago for cushings and he didn't have it - but these last 3 days he has been drinking water like theres no tommarrow . He has an appointment tommarrow but would like to know what you all think .

Comment

Originally posted by MaryLea View Post
                              Harry, I saw the price on the "Lean Treats" but am confused about how many are in a package. Could you give me that information, please? (Thanks in advance!)

Hi MaryLea,

Well, there's a pretty good number. I just opened a new bag 2 or 3 days ago. I counted what's left in the bag just now and have 30, so I would guess there were about 40 to start. Of course the packaging is by net weight so the count could vary.

Whether you get 'em thru the vet or shipping it'll be about $2.50 per bag. Not bad at all. Your pet will love 'em I'm sure.The cost of everything keeps goin' up. A couple years back I paid only a $1.75.

Look at the cost of cigarettes now. I'm sure glad I guit smokin' some 40 yrs. back.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks, Harry.

I would like to find something she likes, to use for treats especially when I test her BG (which neither of us likes) . Haven't gotten really good at it and she doesn't like to sit still for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X