No announcement yet.

Linda and Ladybug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting to have some anxiety about Ladybug...

Happy Member Anniversary!!!

I believe you and Ladybug qualify for a Cute Dog Name Award as well!

Natalie

Comment

• Linda and Ladybug

Hi all,

Haven't posted in a while but I am still reading every day with great interest and still continuing to learn!

I have a question about insulins. I bought a new vial of Humulin N (Lilly) today and the price has risen to $60.00 a vial - talk about the ouch factor! In my Walmart ad today, they listed Humulin N (Relion) for $24.97 a vial.

Can anybody tell me what the difference is between the Lilly and Relion brands? Is the Relion considered "generic"?

For what I paid at the Giant Pharmacy for one vial I could have bought two vials at Walmart!!

Ladybug is super regulated right now (finally, thank goD ) and stays within 30-50 points the whole day. I don't want to mess that up just because I want to save some money.

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

Hey Linda,

Both are equivalent insulins, i.e., Humulin N. There actually are no generic insulins. If I were you, I'd return the unopened Giant Pharmacy insulin and run to WalMart!

Kevin
        Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Thanks Kevin,

Glad to hear from you...you helped me so much in the beginning.

I was hoping there wouldn't be a difference in the N's, but just wanted to make sure.

Alas, I've already opened the new vial.

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

Hey, Linda!

Looooong time no hear! Sorry you paid so much - even if you hadn't opened the vial, they might not take it back. Pharmacies can be strange about that - from our point of view, anyway.

Walmart changed contracts, from Novo Nordisk to Lilly - a few months back, and right; there is no such thing as generic insulin. So, I suppose next time, you'll buy Relion-N from Walmart - which will be the same as your Humulin-N.

HUGE congratulations on Ladybug's regulation! That is wonderful news!

Hugs,
            Sat, 26 Feb 2011 15:01:58 (PST)
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            CarolW

Comment

Hey Carol!!!

I've been reading all your great responses to the new folks on the board! You also helped me soooo much in the beginning!

Walmart, here I come!

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

Hi Linda,

Hows the new job going in the school and is Ladybug doing ok on her own while you work?
                Hope all is well and congrats on how well her bg is doing!

Allison
                Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Hi Allison,

Ladybug is doing just fine with me being at work during the day. Guess I got all stressed out about nothing! In fact, the days when I'm off for a holiday, she looks at me around 8:00 as if to say "well, why haven't you left yet?" I think she really understands when I say "going to work today". They are just so so smart!

The job is absolutely wonderful!!! I could never go back to a 9-5 office job. Working with the children is so rewarding and amazing at the same time. They are so worldly at 8 years old...sometimes I'm stunned at the things they know and talk about. But it's tremendous fun!

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

• Re: Linda and Ladybug

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post

I have a question about insulins. I bought a new vial of Humulin N (Lilly) today and the price has risen to $60.00 a vial - talk about the ouch factor! In my Walmart ad today, they listed Humulin N (Relion) for $24.97 a vial.

A couple weeks back I stopped by Walmart for a few things, insulin & syringes included. I had ordered two vials of Humulin N. I was in a discussion with a fella at the store and didn't pay particular attention to the pharmacy bill until I got home.

I made note of the price difference on my receipt of the two vials of insulin; one was $24.88 and the other was I believe $52 something. I immediately went back to Walmart and sure enough there were about 7 people in line with but one cashier. No one was in line at the drop off line so I approached the lady there for assistance. I showed her my problem and she knew right away what went wrong. She showed me that one box had both logo's *Relion* and *Lilly* at the bottom and the other box had only the *Lily* on it. The clerk had given me one of each and then scanned 'em. I asked why Walmart stocked both and the lady said that some people/doctors specifically request the Lilly brand.

This lady then exchanged the boxes and gave me the refund.

Cheers

Harry.
                    Last edited by Harry; 02-28-2011, 07:08 AM. Reason: Correct price error.

Comment

I, unfortunately, went to Walmart on Friday and was told that they had no ReliOn (just the "Lilly" brand). I was told they were back ordered and had "no idea" when they would be getting any more. Period. No calling to other stores or anything. And this was the Pharmacist!
                      Carrol
                      Carrol & Sparky (AKC Nuage Sparks a Flyin') Bichon Frise 10 yrs. old, diagnosed October 2010, 18.8lbs, Humulin N 5 1/2u twice a day; 2/3 cup Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight with 1 tsp. Blue Buffalo canned chicken meatloaf twice daily. REALLY likes: Romaine lettuce

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                        I asked why Walmart stocked both and the lady said that some people/doctors specifically request the Lilly brand.

This lady then exchanged the boxes and gave me the refund.

Harry.
                        Surprisingly, some doctors/vets are not aware that Lily makes ReliOn Humulin N.
                        When it was time to replace my original vial a few weeks ago, I called my vet for
                        a Rx on a new vial, he was surprised and sounded a bit skeptical (at first) that it was
                        the same Humulin N.

As Harry mentioned, the only difference in both the box and the vial of ReliOn Humulin is
                        the tiny logo located at the bottom (on two corners) of the box, and once on the
                        label of the vial

I paid $24.88 for my new vial.
                        Much better on the pocketbook.
                        Sasha mini-schnauzer, age 9 (8 at diagnosis), weight 14 (originally 18 lbs) Diagnosed 12/10, Humulin N, beginning dosage 3U, currently 5U since 1/03/11, increased to 6U 4/4/11, increased to 7U 4/14/11, increased to 8U 4/27/11, increased to 9U 5/31/11, increased to 10U 7/1/11

Comment

Hi all,

Need some advice on whether I did right or wrong.

Ladybug's fasting reading this morning was 83. I checked again after 10 minutes to see if maybe it was an off reading. The second reading was 87.

I didn't give her any pancake syrup to bring her up quick. She just had her normal breakfast and I didn't give her any insulin. Was this OK to do?

We had really horrendous weather here all day yesterday and last night. That's the only reason I can see for her being so low this morning.

Everything has been going so smooth....just goes to show you just never know what's going to happen!

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

I wouldn't skip it all together I'd check her after she's eaten in about an hour and see if she's going back up then give it to her. Make sense? Forbins BG use to drop during storms. That could be the issue for ladybug.
                            Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

It's been two hours since she has eaten. Isn't it a little too late to give her insulin now?

Comment

Have you rechecked her bg?
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X