Scooter crossed the bridge today 12-3-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scooter

I don't think he got anything. He had his boiled chicken after I tested him. Maybe it didn't agree with him today. He hasn't tooted since he ate supper. Thank goodness. It was really bad. It's pretty funny when it happens. It scares him and he gets up real quick looks around like "what was that"? and walks away. I ended up giving him the 10 units after dinner because he was 364 before he ate. I'll keep my eye on him this evening

Comment

Oh the joys of pet parenting. Now Scooter has diarrhea.
      Started at 3:30 am then again at 6am and when he went for his walk around 7am. At least he made it outside. That's a good thing. He doesn't have a fever and he's drinking. So I called the vet and she has some prescriptions for him. Said to put him on a bland diet of either boiled chicken or boiled hamburger and rice. I asked if this will mess up his bg and she said probably a little but we have to treat the diarrhea. So I guess the gas he had yesterday was a preview of things to come

Comment

Does anyone know how much chicken and rice I should feed tonight. He usually gets 1/2c dog food and 1/4 c boiled ground beef. I'm not sure how much of each I should give. So far he hasn't gone #2 again. Hopefully it's over. Vet put him on Metronidazole and Endosorb. So far hi BG are ok. We'll see after supper what the chicken and rice do to him.

Comment

What type of dog food? typically 1/2 can would be 6 ounces or 3/4 cup. That is probably around 300 calories. 1 cup of rice is about 200 calories and a chicken breast is about 145 calories. I'd judge from there. 1 cup is alot of rice.
          Last edited by peggy0; 08-10-2011, 05:58 PM.
          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

He eats 4 Health by Diamond pet foods. I think there is 622 calories per cup. It's a dry food
            He gets 1/2 cup a day with 1/4 cup ground beef twice a day. I ended up giving him 1/2 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of boiled chopped chicken breast. Theses are his #'s this evening. I've tested him several times because I'm not sure how the change in diet will affect him. These are his #'s this evening.

5:00pm 173 before food
            7:00pm 207 1 1/2 hours after insulin
            8:30pm 181
            9:30pm 143
            I'm a little concerned that he is going to go lower during the night.
            Any thoughts?

Comment

it never hurts to wake up before the approximate low point the worst thing that can happen is some lost sleep

listening to your instincts is important when i dont i run into problems

numbers look good so far
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I agree, it couldn't hurt to set an alarm to check on him if you're able. His numbers are looking good. With different food it's hard to know whether he'll be stable there or drop yet.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Slightly freaking out

Scooter is on chicken and rice for a bout of diarrhea. I'm doing a curve today to see how is bg are on this diet.
                  6am 250 fasting
                  8am 165 after 1/2 c rice and 1/2c boiled chicken
                  10am 89 had a 20 min walk at 6:45am
                  12pm 41 gave him a little karo and chicken & rice

He's acting fine but I am taking him to the vet at 3. I want to see how my meter differs from theirs.

Comment

Re: Slightly freaking out

that is a pretty steady drop and it doesnt seem like the food you are giving is slowing it down the diarrhea maybe affecting how the food is being converted to glucose maybe very slowly

you might want to reduce the dose until things clear up

jesse had diarrhea for a few days last week i ended up reducing the amount of food she was eating of coarse that can be tricky but we do have allot of experience with that we have no problem at all with giving insulin with just a snack and no major meal to give her system a break and we reduce the dose quite a bit and it got better the next day and she was good to go after a couple days
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

That's also about 1/2 the calories you typically give scooter with the canned. I would definately up the food or lower the dosage to make sure he's not in any danger.

Comment

I combined your 2 threads about scooter so we can keep track of his whole story

Comment

Tested again @1pm. He was up to 64. Then gave him 1/4 cup of his regular dog food. This disease is certainly a roller coaster ride! Looking forward to his vet visit at 3pm and to see how low my meter is compared to the vet's. He isn't showing any signs of hypo but from what I've read on here some dogs don't. He hasn't had a bowel movement since early last evening. Hopefully that is cleared up. Thanks for the info

Comment

Great news. I don't know when his peak is for insulin so keep watching him until your vet visit. You could always give him 1/2 portion of his regular food with the chicken and rice portions you gave him and he won't go so low

Comment

Peggy he doesn't eat canned food. He usually eats 1/2 cup of 4 Health dry kibble(161 calories) with 1/4 cup of boiled ground meat(75 calories). Twice a day. For now he is getting 1/2 cup rice (160 calories) and 1/4 cup boiled chicken(35 calories). Do you think 40 calories make that much difference?

Comment

The rice is likely digested faster than the kibble so the type of calories can have a huge effect.

Be sure to take syrup with you to the vet. The activity of going could potentially drop him.
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X