Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Lily - My English Setter

Well, right after my last post, Lily again started pushing her bowl around at breakfast time. The thought came to my mind that maybe Iím feeding her too soon after getting up. We both wake up around 5:30AM and she gets fed at 6:00.

So I changed her feeding times to 7:00AM and 7:00PM. I also changed her food back to Merrick Healthy Weight (she started getting fasting BG in the high 300s with the Nulo).

Sheís been on this schedule for 5 days and her fasting BG is back to the low 200s and she is eating great. Weíll see how it goes, but either way, Iíll stick with the Merrick Healthy Weight
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 03-05-2018, 06:19 AM
Founding Member

I dont think anyone is that interested in eating at that time . fingers and paws crossed for continued positive appetite
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 03-05-2018, 07:50 AM

I have a hard time with AM feeding too. I really donít blame them not wanting to pop out of bed and eat, but it makes it hard to maintain a schedule that works AM and PM. I really think the only thing my dog would inhale any time of day is homemade.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 PM

Lilyís new feeding and insulin schedule of 7:00AM and 7:00PM is working out well for both her and me. She gets to slowly adjust after waking up in the morning and then eat after an hour or so.

Spotting squirrels on her daily walk keeps her happy

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Founding Member

She looks great mike

Jesse has been on the 7 and 7:30 am schedule since the beginning depending on fall or spring time change .

Looks like the snow doesnt bother her a bit . I am sure she would like to give chase those squirrels haha
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 03-22-2018, 02:02 PM

She's beautiful and echoing what Jessegirl said, she looks great.
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 03-27-2018, 09:17 AM

Always great to see a beautiful Lily picture!!!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

She is so pretty!

My goodness at that snow. It was 80 degrees in Central Arkansas today.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:57 AM

I think Raysaint mentioned this earlier, but the AAHA has released their 2018 Veterinary Diabetes Management Guidlines for Dogs and Cats...

https://www.aaha.org/guidelines/diab...s/default.aspx

They even include algorithms (flow charts) for getting dogs regulated...

https://www.aaha.org/public_document...nitoringv3.pdf
Old 04-01-2018, 08:05 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMurphy View Post
I think Raysaint mentioned this earlier, but the AAHA has released their 2018 Veterinary Diabetes Management Guidlines for Dogs and Cats...

https://www.aaha.org/guidelines/diab...s/default.aspx

They even include algorithms (flow charts) for getting dogs regulated...

https://www.aaha.org/public_document...nitoringv3.pdf
Many of the items that i discovered managing jesses diabetes is reflected in these guidelines showing a well thought out protocols on managing the disease

The most difficult time in regulation is the beginning and starting insulin therapy especially for a dog with other medical challenges as you have seen with your dog lily mike . Jesse had multiple complications and her history of epilepsy which made jesse quite challenging but not impossible

I might even project a complete curve be done before insulin therapy begins . The reason is the staring dose and what to begin with . If numbers are lower maybe 300s or lower across the board you may want to start with a lower starting dose . Jesse was one of those dogs that needed a dose lower than the normal stating dose which was an obstacle to her regulation .