Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Default Newly Diagnosed Border Collie Always Hungry

Hello there!
My 12.5 year old Border Collie, Max was just diagnosed with diabetes a week ago. We noticed an increase in urination and multiple accidents in the garage which was surprising because he has been potty trained for years. We kind of wrote it off that he was spending too much times indoors since its so cold in Minnesota at the moment. Then we noticed the drastic weight loss and a change in mood; he was no longer his happy self.

We went to the vet last week, and the vet said that other then the diabetes, for his age, he has great teeth, eyes, heart, lungs, stomach, etc. He's always been very active and never overweight. The test result said his glucose level was 435 I believe. We started 5 units of insulin that night, and he receives shots twice a day 6:30 am/pm. We will be making an appointment in a week to have his glucose levels checked again.

One area we are struggling with is food/diet. Max has always been an independent eater. He's a farm dog, and we would leave a large pail of food for him to eat at his leisure. When it was empty, we would fill it up again. We've started feeding him twice a day around 6:00/6:15 am/pm. He got his appetite back, and now he's ALWAYS hungry. We switched his food over to the highest quality of food that our local store carries. Purina Beyond (9 ingredient) White Meat Chicken and Whole Barely. We have been giving him between 1.5/2 cups a meal and a hard boiled egg with some shredded cheese. He always cleans his plate. We have been finding that by the middle of the day, he's starving. He's already so skinny from the weight loss, it would be nice to get some meat on his bones. We don't know what to give him that won't cause a spike in his glucose. Is there something out there (preferably something more homemade or 'human food' as opposed to bagged dog food) that we can give to hold him over? He's not a huge fan of wet dog food.

If anyone has any information that pertains to this question or anything else a newbie should be aware of, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!!
Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Newly Diagnosed Border Collie Always Hungry

Welcome! First, to address the hunger question, most dogs are terribly hungry when they are early on with this disease. You could feed and feed and it wouldnít be enough. The high blood sugar causes the food to pass through the body without really doing anything - no absorption of nutrients. So, the only way to get them to start gaining and feel full is to get blood sugar under control.

I would go towards a low fat diet as diabetic dogs are prone to pancreatitis. I always fed commercial food so I canít help much with home cooking. One important element is to try to feed repeatable meals every time. You want to balance food with insulin so you canít really vary the amounts or the type of proteins or carbs and expect consistent results. It is a bit easier to feed repeatable meals with dry and/or canned food. You really need to weigh the food if you want to be precise.

Have you thought about home testing? It is key to getting blood sugar under control. Vets arenít always supportive of home testing but it saved my dog and added many years to her life and I felt much more in control. It is easy once you start. We can help if you are interested.

What is his weight? What type of insulin do you use?

Feel free to ask any questions or voice concerns - every person here has been in your shoes and there is a wealth of information contained in our forum.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:59 PM

I second home testing if possible.

When I picked Shelby up from the vet they had done not much to control things. They had her on 8 units in the am and 4 in the pm. I left with a lighter pocket book and a bag of their recommended food.

Not liking the food (me that is) she was quickly switched. I took the recommended amount from that and used the calories from that as a starting point with the food we had picked to feed. The first thing we did was to find a point where she was hungry at breakfast and supper but not starving. Once we found that we then tailored her insulin dose to that.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:30 AM

Many dog foods and home cooked foods will work well.

I home cook for Daisy and the first thing I did was figure her calorie intake for the weight she needed to be at. I started with 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs (brown rice, barley, quinoa, chickpeas, etc.) and 1/3 veggie and a little kibble and worked from there. The carbs were a little too much so I knocked her carb calories down and added it to the protein. I weigh each ingredient in grams to be consistent at each meal. When you home cook always give a vitamin supplement.

I can't stress the importance of home testing enough. Blood sugar dropping too low is deadly.
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 02-02-2018, 05:12 AM

Early in the diagnosis her blood sugar will be high, which causes excessive hunger and urination.
Educate yourself on diabetes basics and you'll see the regimen that you'll probably have to adopt.

No free feeding; twice a day meals and injections. A good food with low fat and moderate protein and carbs.
And don't fret the high sugar numbers, it'll take time, week after week, to slowly bring them down with insulin adjustments.

But the best thing you can do is to get a meter and test at home. Knowing when nadir (low point) is, knowing progress, etc. is key to managing this disease. Testing at the vet is only one point in time, doesn't give you an ongoing picture of how things are.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:32 AM
Founding Member

welcome from another Minnesotan! It is really hard when they are starving.

My dog was small so a few frozen green beans appeased her.

sometimes jerky, which is pure protein doesn't hurt their blood sugar either

As active as Max is, he may wind up needing a small 3rd meal each day as you move along with this.

Ideally, you'd be able to stick to the twice a day while you are getting him regulated but if you wind up having to do something, I'd just be consistent so you can regulate him around that.

poor babies, they just look to us to fix it and it is hard. Judi
Old 02-03-2018, 07:32 AM

Thank you everyone for the comments. When Max got weighed at the vet, he weighed 47 pounds. I was doing some research and to help curve his hunger, and we are trying half a can of fresh cut, no salt added green beans with a hard boiled egg and some shredded cheese. Does that seem like a good snack choice? It is 'good' to hear that excessive hunger is normal. It makes you feel terrible when they look at you and want to eat, but its not supper time.

As for the insulin we are using, ReliOn Novolin NPH, Human Insulin. I haven't taken his blood glucose, but it seems to be working on the outside. He seems to be feeling better, and his happy-go-lucky personality is back. I have thought about doing home testing. However, I wasn't sure when was a good time to start that. Does anyone have recommendations as to what kind of home testers you should use?
Old 02-03-2018, 07:49 AM

As for the snack, use fresh or frozen veggies if possible, and cook them and then freeze them. Less processing equals better nutrition.
And be easy on the high fat foods. Cheese and eggs in real moderation. Fat can contribute to pancreatitis.
Freeze dried liver or chicken are options, dried sweet potato, things that are low fat, moderate protein, good carbs.

There are a few good meters available for home testing. It's never too early to start doing that. Others on this forum can recommend meters that fit any budget.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:39 AM

Many of us here use human meters. In general, human meters read a little bit lower than pet meters. Youíll also need lancets and possibly a lancing Device.

I use the ReliOn Prime. Another good option is the OneTouch UltraMini.

These are Walmart prices...

The ReliOn Prime meter is $9.
The ReliOn Prime Strips are $17.88 per 100.
The OneTouch UltraMini is about $20.
The Unistrips used in the OneTouch are about $12 per 50.
The Equate strips used in the OneTouch are about $19 per 50.

Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 02-04-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

The One Touch Ultra seems to be the best human meter for testing dogs. Over the years, it has consistently been the closest to the vetís Lab. The strips can be had a bit cheaper on eBay but I donít recommend the generic ones(the unistrips). I tried them with Maggie and they were not reliable. So, I would stick with One Touch Ultra strips.