Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:34 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: I feel like giving up

my jesse was only 5.5 years old when this all started and it was extremely rough. she did not eat for a week maybe longer with an acute case of pancreatitis she also had surgery for a uterus infection and was DKA either one by itself was life threatening and she was also diabetic . i wasn't sure she was going to make it 6 months after this began but jesse kept proving me wrong and came out wagging her tail

there is a reason your dog doesnt want to eat and you and your vet should be able to figure it out. your dog is still young and the biggest thing going for him

it may take awhile. my jesse took 6 months to where i said i think she is ok and she was a critical case . you will find your footing with this most do . its always a bit shaky at the start . soon you will be doing things you never thought you could do for another living creature that you care for and you do it for love
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 01-24-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknowwhattodo View Post
Thank you everybody for your insights and support!

It's been 48 hours since he last ate anything. He won't even look at food. I offered him so many different things (wet, dry, home cooked...etc) and he refused every single one of them. I'm taking him to vet tomorrow and they will run some tests on him. Last week when they diagnosed him with diabetes I asked them to run the full panel of blood tests and I believe they already checked for pancreatitis and ketones. Unless those things developed between last week and now, he shouldn't have either.

I still feel uncomfortable about running blood tests myself but I might just be able to hire a vet technician to come once a day and check his blood if it comes down to that. Luckily I work from home most of the time so I'm able to attend to most of his needs and I can easily take him to vet whenever. Tomorrow we'll find out if the insulin I've been giving him has been working and what to do about it. I just hope I can find a way to increase his appetite REAL soon. The only thing he takes is water. I couldn't even get him to drink milk just to get some calories into him.
Pancreatitis can happen quickly so don't assume the bloodwork was negative. There is a specific test for pancreatitis, Snap Cpl, make sure the vet does it.
Read about it here.
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...tivity-in-dogs

It might be a bit unrealistic to have a vet tech do blood testing, as it's something you should do more than once a day in the early stages. Trust me, you'll find it's easier than you think. There's lots of places on their body to lance a get a blood drop.

And remember this takes time to get blood sugar down. Don't expect sugar to be way down this early. The insulin is probably working, but it doesn't regulate or make it normal this quick. It takes weeks to slowly bring sugar down. You need to give their body a chance to adjust to each dose increase and all the changes they are going thru. Make little changes week after week.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknowwhattodo View Post
Thank you everybody for your insights and support!

I still feel uncomfortable about running blood tests myself but I might just be able to hire a vet technician to come once a day and check his blood if it comes down to that. Luckily I work from home most of the time so I'm able to attend to most of his needs and I can easily take him to vet whenever. Tomorrow we'll find out if the insulin I've been giving him has been working and what to do about it. I just hope I can find a way to increase his appetite REAL soon. The only thing he takes is water. I couldn't even get him to drink milk just to get some calories into him.
The vet tech's at my vet's office do work on the side. One of them stops at a doggy day care on her way home from work to administer a dog's evening insulin shot every day.

You could also look into having a student help you. I had a neighbor girl who wanted to be a vet and would train seeing eye dog puppies on basic obedience before they were sent off for formal training. It's harder to get into vet school than med school and this kind of experience might be something kids would be interested in.

Hope your dog starts to eat soon. I think everything will be less stressful if you get at least that part figured out.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:53 PM

It's been 3 full days since he ate anything at all and we have a vet appointment in an hour or so. I hope it turns out well.

I've "owned" him for 6 years and this is the first time I ever see his appetite so bad. In the past he even had some surgeries where vets said his appetite would be suppressed while he recovers but even in those instances his appetite was fully in place. His appetite was always so strong that at home we would sometimes jokingly say "What's for dinner? Today I am hungry like Jett" when we were really really hungry.

He's losing weight, which the vet said he should, but I'd rather him lose the weight in healthy ways rather than by starving himself. I hope we will be able to find a way to stimulate his appetite again. That's going to be my first priority.

He also suffers from his hinder legs falling asleep, and I heard that this comes with diabetes due to nerve damage.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:35 PM

I hope all goes Well at the Vet for Your Pup Hopefully They will be able to find out Whats keeping Him from eating and at the very least feed Him via an IV to keep his strength from falling off too far You had mentioned He was having problems with his rear legs I do know that was --besides the excessive water intake the main thing I noticed day # 1 for my Pup she was having an awful hard time standing from the laying position she seemed to be sorta ok after getting to her feet but still a little slower moving
The vet put her on a non narcotic pain med (Tramadol) which I'm sad to say she is still on but is doing much better getting to her feet and not just dropping when laying down as before Give this some time for Your Pup to adjust It does get better maybe not as quickly as a bone mending or even shaking a cold so keep your chin up and take it in stride It will get better Bigger dogs Like ours are always prone to having Hip/Leg problems as they get older so It is something that just came a little sooner than normal But It does get manageable for your pup and you with time
Keep us Posted Please and keep your chin up
Dogg
My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day
Old 01-25-2018, 05:16 PM

Here is how my vet visit went.

First, he lost some more weight but it's ok since he was obese and now he's overweight. Last year his peak weight was 107 pounds and now he's down to 93 pounds. I think we want him to be around 75-80 range.

Second, I told the vet about his lack of appetite and how he refuses to eat anything at all and how I tried to give him 4 different types of canned food, 2 different types of dry food, even stuff like peanut butter or just chicken just to get him to eat but he won't eat anything at all. Well, the vet grabbed some random dry food and my dog started eating. Vet said that she didn't think he has an appetite problem. When we got back home he started eating a bit but not as much as he used to. At least he's able to keep down whatever he eats since he doesn't show any signs of diarrhea or vomiting.

Third, his blood sugar levels are down from 600s to 400s. Still too high and we'd like to get them to 200s but I believe this is a good start. We are upping it from 22 units to 24 units. We'll check his blood sugar again in a week.

Fourth, his back legs are still weak but I was told that it would take a while before that improves significantly.

As for appetite, I have a theory for why he refused to eat anything until we went to vet. I was giving him wet food and he was eating fine but once I put some medicine pills in his food and he absolutely hated it. Maybe he grew suspicious that I was adding pills to all the food I was giving him and he didn't want to eat for a while because of that.

All in all, it wasn't a bad visit. He's improving in baby steps but there is still a lot of room to go. He's taking his injections like a champ and doesn't even move a muscle. He also has hypothyroid so I have to give him pills for that twice a day but I am taking a break from that until his appetite comes back fully so that I can put his pills in his food. Otherwise, he just spits the pill out. I even tried to force him into swallowing a pill but he just keeps it in his mouth and spits it out when I look away. He's pretty smart about avoiding taking medicine when he doesn't feel like it. Funny thing, maybe there is a way to inject him with thyroid medicine which would be easier than getting him to swallow a pill.

Last edited by dontknowwhattodo; 01-25-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Founding Member

that is so encouraging! they are really smart when it comes to pills. My dog was small so we were able to give her everything in a liquid form

Some people have had good luck giving their dogs B-12 (methyl version not the other one) to help with the back leg weakness. I think vets can give shots for it

So glad he is doing a little better

I know the thyroid problems can add to the blood sugar problems so hopefully you can figure out how to get him to take his pill pretty soon
Old 01-26-2018, 06:11 AM

Get Yourself Some Greenies Pill Pockets at Petco or a store for Pet stuff My Pup is the same way she'll spit a pill out in a heartbeat if I try to shove it into her throat She likes the pill pockets and with the pill in it she doesn't even hesitate to take them
Sounds like Your getting somewhere (awesome)
As mentioned before it would behoove you to star BG testing at home there is a fountain of info to be obtained by getting his BG levels at certain times Like before and after eating .Morning and night
Take a good look at his elbow calluses It doesn't hurt him a bit to poke him there and the amount of the drop of blood is tiny to get the reading and with a quick wipe with a kleenex or paper towel it quits bleeding instantaneously
Good Luck to You and Your Owner
Dogg
My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day
Old 01-27-2018, 06:03 PM

My dog stopped eating again and his health situation is deteriorating. Even though he hasn't eaten in 2 days and took 4 injections of insulin during this time, his glucose level is not dropping. I just hospitalized him and they will try to stabilize his glucose levels as well as his overall health. They will also run tests to see if he developed DKA or Pancreatitis. I'll hear back more tonight or tomorrow about his health. This is going to be VERY costly but I will do whatever it takes to keep him alive and healthy.

By the way, I keep reading about how researchers are able to surgically insert artificial pancreas in dogs in order to treat diabetes successfully. Has anyone tried this with their dog or is it something only done for research purposes?

Last edited by dontknowwhattodo; 01-27-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Founding Member

Iím so sorry. I hope they can stabilize him