Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:17 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: I feel like giving up

hope they figure things out and get the correct treatment

fingers and paws crossed
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 01-28-2018, 04:49 PM

The tests showed that he was getting hit by triple whammy (pancreatitis, DKA and urinary tract infection) all at once which is extremely scary and life threatening.

After spending 24 hours at the emergency hospital, they were able to lower his blood glucose levels significantly (from 430 to low 200s), his ketones are gone, but he's still suffering from pancreatitis and urinary tract infection. The vet said that he's showing signs of improvement but he'd have to spend another 3-4 days at the hospital which is something I'm fine with. They are feeding him through IV and he still refuses to eat so they are hoping that he might start eating once his pancreatitis improves a bit. They will also give him an appetite booster and we'll see if that helps.

The stuff vet said was encouraging but she also made it seem like we might have to consider putting him down if he doesn't improve fast enough and start eating soon. This thought really scared me. The bill is mounting up and it already passed $2000 but I have money and resources to keep him there for as long as he needs.

When we visited today, he looked very happy to see me but he was extremely sad when I was leaving. He didn't want me to leave and I could tell from his eyes that he wanted to come back home so badly. I really really hope that he will improve in a few days and be able to come home in much better shape, mood and appetite.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 PM
Founding Member

similar situation with my jesse except instead of a UTI she had a uterus infection that needed emergency surgery

my vet at the time allowed me to visit her everyday and i could tell she wanted to stay so i did everything i could to help make that happen that was almost 8 years ago

it was slow go for healing

you need to understand that flareups of the pancreas can happen in the future and understanding your dogs symptoms could help prevent another hospital situation
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 01-28-2018, 08:48 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

If you can see some will to fight in him, I would be encouraged. I was told when Maggie had DKA and pancreatitis that they got no response from her and thought I should consider letting her go. I told them I had to see for myself. The minute she heard my voice and saw me, she jumped up wagging her tail and crying. The vet looked at me and said “Never mind - just disregard our conversation”. Several vets gave me the speech about her living for 6 months if I was lucky. She made liars out of all of them and lived about 8 and a half with diabetes, and in the end, it was unbearable pain in her cervical spine.

The rush not to eat is not necessarily a bad thing. It took Maggie so long to regain her appetite. I started with boiled chicken and the broth you boil it in, then to canned. I made sure everything was pulverized before I gave it to her. The less work on her digestive system the better. Little meals may be best. I found she could not eat large meals so we broke those up into several a day.

Try not to get discouraged- any progress is something to build on.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:20 AM

They usually put a feeding tube in their nose down their throat so that they can administer liquid food, rather than just IV fluids. That usually helps get their appetite going and slowly gets the pancreas used to dealing with food.

And an anti-nausea medication is usually standard.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:40 PM

His blood sugar is under control, his DKA is gone, his pancreatitis is getting much better, his urinary tract infection is improving greatly but the vet still insists that we should seriously consider putting him down because even though his numbers have been improving greatly, he still refuses to eat and his legs are still very weak. I don't want him to die (he's only 7) but vet insists that even if he recovers, he won't have much of a quality of life given how weak he got. I honestly don't know what to do. I really don't understand why he refuses to eat after more than a week of not eating and showing improvement in all his numbers. It's like he doesn't want to live anymore. He's still being hospitalized.

I'm greatly traumatized by all this. I don't think I'll get another dog for a really, really long time. It will take me a long time to get over with this, if ever.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:21 AM

He sounds like he's already improving greatly from multiple issues so maybe give him some time. It may take a while for him to recover fully.

I've heard very good reports using methyl-B12 for leg weakness. Not the regular B12, but methyl B12.

Hang in there.
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 01-30-2018, 03:41 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

If he is out of danger, you might see if he can come home for a few hours. So many dogs are just more comfortable in their own surroundings. It took Maggie almost a month of tiny bites of chicken and broth with little pieces of pasta(added later) to get back to true eating. I would just not take the vet’ s word. See for yourself and if it is a no-go, you make that decision. I would have been robbed of some of the best years of Maggie had I listened to the “experts”. Either way, it will be your judgement and not theirs. I had three vets at the emergency hospital telling me her situation was hopeless. And her 8 1/2 years were pretty darn good years, not suffering. She went everywhere I did and twice to the beach. Just don’t give up until it is time to give up.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:04 AM

I agree with amydunn. If most of his issues are back to normal, why is he still hospitalized. Bring him home, that'll reduce his stress, and then you can work on getting him to eat little bits.

Boils some chicken breasts, see if he'll drink the broth. Try everything you have in your fridge. Pour the broth on some meat or rice or whatever.

There doesn't sound like a medical reason for him not to eat, could be the stress of the hospital.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:32 AM
Founding Member

my jesse barely ate at the hospital that changed when she came back home

this is not going to be easy the leg weakness will take some time to get back

like you said your dog is still young you made a big investment. unless the vet can say without a doubt your dog is in organ failure or something terminal why not try . at least you can say i gave every possible opportunity to make it

have you visited your dog for yourself ?