Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Alphatrak test strips? where do you buy them?

Many do use a human meter like Yukies mom in conjunction with the pet meter

I have used a discount human meter for all of jesses diabetic life and took the number's as is . Never used a pet meter as it would have restricted me during regulation because of cost

She has not shown any diabetic symptoms since she was regulated so I would think were mostly in a good range on the human meter
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 12-09-2019, 11:07 PM

You test your dogs sugar daily? that seems a bit excessive no?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:08 PM

were the numbers pretty similar on human and pet? I hear the human strips are just as expensive though
Old 12-09-2019, 11:17 PM

Default Please help me regular her sugar??

Hi guys. Those of you who have had a lot more experience regulating sugars, maybe you can help us. I have an 8 yo Maltese Daisy who was diagnosed with Diabetes after a DKA episode in July. Her sugars have been fluctuating ever since, even though we keep her on a consistent diet. We're currently feeding her Ketona Chicken, and also the Orijen. They both seem to be the highest in protein, and low carb. She also has a concurrent Cushings, or possibly, now we're not so sure as her blood test came back low and the vet is suggesting to take her off of the lowest dose she was on.

Anyway, for a while there it seemed like she was well regulated on 6 units NPH Novolin. The sugars went from 300s to 100's back to 300's. Until on one curve her low seemed a bit too low, 59! I retested again next day at the peak and it was 60's or 70's. The vet recommended to go down a unit. After she was on 5 units for about 2 weeks, we redid the curve, and its so high again! 500's at the high, and 300's at the lowest! Surely one unit couldn't make such a change. But what is it?! What else can it be? We thought maybe a uti but that came back negative. Getting to our wits end with it because even the vet seems out of ideas help!
Old 12-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Founding Member

I normally test before every shot . the reason for this is if her numbers are low I can adjust the dose lower if needed . There have been times she has been quite low over her diabetic life

I get jesses strips off ebay for about $5 for 50 strips . I buy in bulk and will buy 600 strips at one time

Usually purchase twice a year and buy in the fall and the spring
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 12-10-2019, 07:04 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Please help me regular her sugar??

The high protien diet maybe the problem . You need carbs to work with insulin

High protein diets tend to drop and spike sugar

If you are treating cushhings and there appears that your dog doesn't have it. You can get false positives from a unregulated diabetic dog . So the medication maybe causing cortisol to go low which can make blood sugar go low and you are seeing that

We do have a sister site k9 cushings and discuss the cushings diagnosis
Old 12-10-2019, 07:05 AM

I do check Yukon's BG every day because he has Cushing's Disease too so he is not regulated even though it has been over a year. He will be regulated for about 5 days and then all of a sudden he will be in the 500's. Yesterday I gave him his insulin and 1 hour later he was down to 116, but by dinnertime he was 486. He has lost a little weight so I am going to reduce the amount of insulin and I am hoping that will help him with these swings.

I buy the Bayer Keto Diastix strips at CVS Pharmacy and with 40% off coupon I pay about $21 - that is for 100 strips.

I just get a catch of his urine when we go on a walk and test it. There are different shades on the bottle that show "around" the range that his BG is at. I like to give Yukon a break sometimes from being poked so much - plus it's just quick and easy to do - especially when you are just trying to regulate your pet in between doing the recommended curves.
15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 13.2u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:26 AM

I also test every morning, to see where the day starts at, so that I can make slight adjustments if needed to food, treats, walks, etc.
Also, checking every day lets you see any trends that might be developing, to possibly catch an issue.

Recently my dog's morning fasting was high for about 3 weeks; turns out he had a UTI.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Please help me regular her sugar??

High protein is not ideal in most cases. Moderate protein and moderate carbs, with low fat is the standard protocol.

Carbs last longer in the body and help balance the insulin, to stay more in a good range. Without carbs, the insulin can react to many things and cause big swings.

And for a small dog, one unit can make a difference.

My maltipoo is 25 lbs. and when he was on 8.5 units, his regulation was good but not as consistent as it could be. Went up to 9 units and it seemed to be the sweet spot.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Diabetes and Blindness! Did your dog go blind?!

My Charlie has been partially blind for a little over a year. I first noticed it about 6 months after his diabetes diagnosis, I would normally throw him a treat and he started to not be able to find it as quick right away. Right now he has pretty big cataracts, but I still think he has some vision in particular distance and peripheral. We will be out walking and he will all of a sudden look at a dog far across the street. I will be playing fetch with him, he seems to notice his toy or "see" it more as hes walking past it so I think he has some peripheral vision.

He acts totally normal and adjusted quickly and very well around the house, outside I just have taught him new words for like "down" or "up" when we approach a curb when walking or "watch out" if hes walking too fast towards something like a tree or sign and I will kind of nudge him out of the way with the leash.

Ocu-glo is expensive and I was giving him that daily for about 4mos so It's probably hit or miss whether it will help your dog. I have since stopped giving it to him.