Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FERGY: What's with these numbers?

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post

But I assume that was when you weren't adding the organ meat. A change in the content of the diet can change the shape of the curve.

When did you switch to Humulin? I switched to Humulin on 11/22.

When did you add organ meat? I started adding the organ meat around 9/7.

Is it only today that you got a higher reading at noon? No. Checking the calendar notations...another 197 on 9/11 and most others under 140. Most of the 1730 notations are around the 250's.

Off-days happen and there are so many different variables - weather, stress, activity level, exactly where the insulin got injected, how the food got digested... I don't worry about an off-day. Plus this curve looks a lot like the last one in terms of the range of the blood sugar.

I personally don't care what shape the curve is. Mountain, which is my personal favorite, bowl, or double-humped camel is okay with me as long as the blood sugar is in a good range the entire time. And this looks pretty darn good.

Natalie
    I don't believe I've mentioned this before but I home cook for Fergy as he will not go for the commercial. I also spoon feed him cause if something is real appetizing to him, he would gulp it down and in a minute or two, it comes back up. His esophagus has a restrictive shape.

I had a bit of a problem gettin' him to eat, especially the breakfast meal, but since I added the meat to the meal he's now there waiting for it. I'm also now accustomed to hearing a "burp" when he has or almost has finnished his meal.

Thanks for the confidence builder.

Cheers

Harry

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
      Wondering what happened after the 83 though if 17:30 is shot time.

I was thinkin' about a follow up after the 83 or another at 1730 but his lip was pretty well marked up. He was in his good mood and ready to eat so I let it go.

Let's see...he was on hamburger before this curve, so I'll have him on heart organ three days before the next curve?!

Cheers

Harry

Comment

Fergy is all silver except for his black head and ears. Of course a little grey is constantly coming in. But, he has about 10 black spots, varying in size of a dime to a nickle, that have now grown in that field of silver. The black color is all the way into his skin.

My vet just called and has made an appointment for Fergy, per my request, to see a K9 dermatologist at the University next Tuesday. I don't know as these black spots are a problem but I want to know for sure.

Has anyone heard or seen of something similar? Thank you.

Cheers

Harry.

Comment

Harry - congrats on those LOVELY numbers! Kumbi sends greetings from the Bridge to Fergy; Kwali adds hers, and Camellia and I send ours from here on lowly Earth. Keep up the great work!

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:26:32 (PST)
          http://www.coherentdog.org/
          CarolW

Comment

I haven't heard of something like the black spots you're seeing Harry. Let us know what they say.

I think the organ meat is a good idea, and the rotation is even better. Organ meat is a bit richer so I can understand the change in the curve. So glad Fergy is liking it!

Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Endocrine issues can cause the skin to darken - Cushing's disease, hypothyroid.

In my cat's case, she has hyperthyroid and I can tell when her levels are out of whack because the fur in her ruff turns light gray (she's a chestnut black color and there is now gray in her ruff). Once her thyroid med is adjusted so her levels are good, the fur darkens again.

Let us know what the vet says, okay?

Natalie

Comment

We had an interesting day at the University yesterday. Fergy had some tests made and I had interesting confabs with the dermatologist and a nutritionist. Fergy also has developed superficial pyroderma around the perianal region and was prescribed an antibiotic...Cephalexin, 4 mls every 12 hrs. for 4 weeks. It's orange colored and in fact tastes like an orange. Hope it don't affect his BG. Has anyone had any prior use of this Cephalexin?

For those interested in the black hair spots on Fergy, I will just type here what the dermatologist wrote.

"Fergy's abnormal dark patches on his coat are most likely a result of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Any traumatic event like clipping the hair coat, injections, cold temperatures and scrapes can create a catabolic state which will increase cell turnover resulting in hyperpigmentation (dark patches). At this time, we recommend that you wait at least 2-4 months to allow Fergy to grow a new hair coat. The new hair coat should grow back the normal grey color. If the hair grows back dark again then we would take skin biopsies of both the discolored areas and the normal skin. This diagnostic test would give us a more definitive diagnosis of the problem."

I'll add here that since he was about 6 mos. of age he has been bathed and groomed the last working day of every month. With no grooming of his back and sides now for a few months, He's gonna look odd with that long hair around his middle, I think.

This new 100,000 ft. three story small animal addition to the University is quite impressive. I wish it were closer to home base tho.

Cheers

Harry.

Comment

Very interesting! Thanks for posting the explanation.

Natalie

Comment

• Re: FERGY

Have been off line here for awhile, but did check some postings now and then.

Fergy is still with me and doin' fine. Will try and get up to date later on.

Thanks Patty for getting me squared away with the forum.

Cheers

Comment

• Re: Feeding Problems

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                      Hi Patty and Thank you.

I got some canned Tuna in water today and will try the water bit.

I've learned from past experiences...mostly in aircraft...that it's best to try no more than ONE new something and see if it has a positive result. When I tried TWO at the same time and got good or bad results, which of the two was good or bad?!

Thank you and I'm open for more suggestions.

Cheers
                      I would watch it with the tuna water, sometimes it is very high in salt.

Oops, didn't realize how old the thread was.

Comment

Harry! I think of you and Fergy often! So good to see you here and to know Fergy is doing well.

I frequently refer people to the homecooked info in your thread.

Look forward to hearing more when you get a chance.
                        Patty
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                        X