Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 AM

Default Lost, blind dog finds way back to Alaska owners

Lost, blind dog finds way back to Alaska owners

Associated Press – 20 hrs ago

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) — Blind and alone in Alaska winter temperatures that dipped 40 degrees below zero, a lost 8-year-old Fairbanks dog wasn't given much of a chance to make it home. But after walking 10 miles to the edge of a local musher's dog yard, Abby the brown-and-white mixed breed was found and returned to her owners, a family that includes two boys and one girl under the age of 10.
The dog that the family raised from an animal-shelter puppy went missing during a snowstorm on Dec. 13, and the family never expected to see her again, The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported (http://bit.ly/VhceSZ ). "It's a miracle, there's no other words to describe it," said McKenzie Grapengeter, emotion choking her voice and tears coming to her eyes. "We never expected to have her to be returned safe and alive."
Musher and veterinarian Mark May said he came across the dog while running his team on Dec. 19, but didn't stop to pick her up.
"It ran with us for about a mile on the way home before she fell off the pace, but I had a big dog team so I couldn't grab it," he said. "I said, 'boy I hope it finds somebody's house.'"
The next day, the dog turned up at May's house. "Everybody just assumed it was some kind of scaredy-cat, but there it was in front of the door in our dog lot and it was blind," May said. "It was sitting there, all the way from 14 mile on the winter trail down into this neighborhood, I guess by just sniffing, so I picked it up and brought it in." To May's surprise, the dog had no signs of frostbite. "No frozen ears, no frozen toes, she'll probably go back home and it'll (be) business as usual. She's no worse for wear but quite an adventure," he said.
The Grapengeter family hadn't tagged or put a microchip in the dog, but the community used social media to track down Abby's owners.
"We're so, so grateful for all (the community's) hard work," McKenzie Grapengeter said. "They've given us the most amazing Christmas gift we could ever ask for."
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Lost, blind dog finds way back to Alaska owners

I read that but hadn't seen the picture! Thanks Bill, what a great story
Old 12-26-2012, 02:06 PM

Arrow Re: Lost, blind dog finds way back to Alaska owners

I"m really glad the dog was found and returned to owners. SO easy for a dog in such a situation just to die, in those inhospitable temperatures - and blind.

I'm just about willing to bet NO dog here on k9diabetes would be so very UNIDENTIFIED!

Not blaming the veterinarian, but I do wonder WHAT mission he was on that he could not stop nor turn his team to go CHECK on the running dog! I doubt they were carrying vaccine to Nome.

And the dog's owners aren't the only ones happy she finally made it home. Whew! Beautiful pictures, by the way.

(Wiping tears.)

Wed, 26 Dec 2012 13:05:35 (PST)
Old 12-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Lost, blind dog finds way back to Alaska owners

Great story, Bill. I had not seen it. Thanks for sharing. I really worry about Izzy and watch her closely when in the front yard. She moves so slowly that I don't think there will be a problem, but she does have a chip and is registered at two vets' offices.

Mary