River didn't make it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River didn't make it...

Hi everyone! My name is Brooke. I just found out a couple days ago my rat terrier, River, is diabetic. Unfortunately, he is still hospitalized so I don't know much about what's going on yet (vet hasn't given me much details so far and of course I haven't been able to contact him through the weekend). Last I talked to them, it was still touch and go. I've been crying for days hoping my little guy can pull through. I came across his website and it's given me some hope. So, since I can't tell you much more about what's going on with my Rivie, for now I just wanted to say hello and thank everyone for the stories of your best friends, and for joining this site so we all have someone out there to talk to about this mess.

Re: Hello out there!

Welcome Brooke and River.

Glad you found us, this is a great support group. We are not vets, just parents of diabetic dogs just like you. Sounds like you've read some of the general information on this web site, and some of the forum posts. The important thing to know is that you are not alone, and many of our "kids" have lived long lives as diabetics. My Annie has been diabetic for 4-5 years now is is doing well.

When you get River home let us know how things worked at your vet clinic. Some things we would like to know about River is: his weight, type of insulin, starting dosage, any other health problems / medications, the experts (NOT ME BY ANY MEASURE) here would probably like to see all data you get from the vet, type / brand of food he is on or starting, anything else about River. O'yes, a nice photo of River so that our pups can see how he looks!
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke
      Hi everyone! My name is Brooke. I just found out a couple days ago my rat terrier, River, is diabetic. Unfortunately, he is still hospitalized so I don't know much about what's going on yet (vet hasn't given me much details so far and of course I haven't been able to contact him through the weekend). Last I talked to them, it was still touch and go. I've been crying for days hoping my little guy can pull through. I came across his website and it's given me some hope. So, since I can't tell you much more about what's going on with my Rivie, for now I just wanted to say hello and thank everyone for the stories of your best friends, and for joining this site so we all have someone out there to talk to about this mess.
      Welcome Brooke (and River)! You've found a great place for advice and support. Please tell us a little more about River - was he hospitalized so the vet could determine his insulin needs only? Or perhaps there was more going on?

Questions to ask your vet if you have not already done so:
      For copies of everything done while River was in their care. Was River evaluated at night (was a vet tech present to observe him)?

What was River's blood glucose (bg) at initial diagnosis? What was his feeding schedule (including type of food and amount) while under the care of the vet? Was River receptive to the food or did he have to be hand fed?

What were his drinking habits - was he consuming above average amounts of water?

Were blood glucose curves (checking his bg ever two hours, for at least a 12 hour period, to better understand what it is doing through out the day) done - if yes, please ask for copies. If you are able to post the curve numbers here there are many folks that can offer advice.

Did the vet check for ketones? http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/diabetes-...ary-management

Were other tests done - urinalysis? Complete blood work panel? Again, if yes, please ask for copies.

What type of insulin was given, how much and how often? If it is NPH - Wal-Mart and Sam's carry the same thing under a generic lable for around $25.00. What is the injection sight? http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973

It may be worth asking your vet what his/her idea of a safe diabetic blood glucose range is. Make sure your vet discusses what to do if River dips below that safe range -http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Hypoglycemia

Is home monitoring something you may consider? The folks on this forum can offer a weath of suggestions for what meter to use, the different areas you can test blood from on a dog, and how accurate the meters typically read.

Again, welcome! This can be very overwhelming in the beginning - but over time it will become more routine! Holli
      Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Welcome Brooke & River

As someone new to all this also, I can sympathize with the feelings you are experiencing right now...hang in there and hopefully come Monday you will have some good news from your vet. We were fortunate, our boy only had to spend 1 night away when diagnosed, so I know how hard the separation anxiety is on your part and on River.

Here is a {{hug}} to hopefully keep you going today!!

Comment

Welcome, Hope you hear good news tomorrow. My Maggie spent 4 days at the vet, she also had pancreatitis. It was hard but they do pull through. It is good River is in good hands at the vet. Pls keep us posted.
          Maggie, 70 lb golden Lab. dx 12/30/11 w/d kibble with a little canned innova, boiled chicken pieces after shot for treat.. starting on Levemir 3 units. 2/25/12

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I haven't gotten much info from my vet yet. I have a sister that is diabetic so I'm not completely in the woods on the subject of diabetes, but of course it's not going to be same with my dog I'm sure.
            I noticed River consuming more water than usual for the past month, but didn't think too much of it (now I know this is something I should have. Lesson learned). I also noticed he had lost some weight, but thought it was because he lives with me now instead of my dad's, where my step sister's hobby is giving the dogs treats. 8-/ On Sunday he had no appetite. I made sure he had food and figured he would eat just when he was hungry. Sunday, te vomiting started. He couldn't keep anything down. I had to work so I dropped him off at my dad's to be kept a close eye on. My dad called the vet and told them what was going on and made an appointment for Thursday (soonest appointment available). They just told us to make sure he's still drinking plenty of fluids and keep an eye on him. Tuesday, same thing. By the time I got home Wednesday night, River just looked terrible. He lost even more weight and hadn't drank any water for a few hours. So I took him to urgent care. They kept him overnight and started to bring is bg down and hydrate him with iv fluids. (they didn't tell me his bg when we brought him in, but I'll call and ask for copies of the paper work). Thursday morning I picked him up and took him straight to his regular vet and basically made them take him. Since then, every time I've called, they've really only said that he is still not stabilized and needs to be kept there. He had bloody diarrhea and has been pretty comatose. I haven't heard from them since Friday afternoon since they are closed weekends. There are people there watching and taking care of him, but they don't answer phones or anything Saturday's or Sunday's. The nurse said she would call me if he got worse though, and I haven't gotten a call yet so I'm very thankful for that. I'm supposed to hear from them first thing in the morning tomorrow.
            Thank you for the list of questions to ask by the way! I'm sure that it will come in handy.

Comment

Welcome from one Rat terrier lover to another.On diagnosis Ed was almost but not quite as sick.
              Please keep us posted about your little buddy.
              Jj
              Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Welcome Brooke and River....

As you will soon find out, once you post some info from your vet you will get a great deal of support from everyone. There are very experienced folks here who have been doing this for years and are a wealth of knowledge. Then there's those of us who are relatively new who will lend moral support because we know what you are going thru and what you will soon be tackling to get your pup healthy and active again. And yes, he will get better and though life may be a bit different, it will still be very rewarding and loving for both of you.

Hope you get some good news on Monday.
                Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Welcome to you and River! So glad you found us early on so we can give you as much support as we can!

I know how hard it is to have them hospitilized...my Hank was in for four days with ketoacidosis and boy, did I miss him! I couldn't even go see him since I knew I would get too upset and probably upset him, too. It's scary when they are sick and you don't know what's really going on.

We're all pulling for you and River tho! Hoping you get the best news tomorrow! These little guys are pretty tough and diabetes can be managed! Take care and good luck! Lots of hugs to you!!!
                  Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Hi Brooke and River,

Everyone else so far has said just about everything you need to know at this early stage, so I don't have much to add, but I'd like to add my Big, Fat Welcome to you to this magnificent forum on canine diabetes!

You're right that canine diabetes works a bit differently from human diabetes; for instance, insulin is metabolized somewhat differently; usually, I believe, faster than in humans. And dogs can't tell us how they're feeling, so we try to keep their blood glucose levels (BGs) in a range high enough not to risk hypoglycemia. Say, something like 100 mg/dL at the lowest. It's the lows that matter, once anly diabetic ketoacidosis has been taken care of. When numbers are running high (say, over 300 md/dL), it's wise to check for ketones. Assuming you could learn to test River's BGs yourself at home, you could use ketostix for that, available at any pharmacy.

Many of us use human meters to test for BG levels; for instance, maybe the most popular here is the OneTouch Ultra2 meter, as it's full-size (a useful feature), and has an excellent reputation for consistency and reliability. Readings might run a bit lower on dog-blood than on human blood because of the different shape of the red blood cells, but it's close enough so you can track trends.

I remember what it feels like to have your dog hospitalized. Hope you get some good news tomorrow morning, and that River can come home soon.

Looking forward to your next report!

You can see how deeply interested we all are here, first, for our own dogs, of course, but also, we get to know each other pretty well, and become extremely fond of each other! So it's like a big extended family, and you can lean on us constantly!

BIG, FAT WELCOME!
                    Sun, 25 Mar 2012 16:48:16 (PDT)
                    http://www.coherentdog.org/
                    CarolW

Comment

Dear everyone, first I'd just like to thank you all for being so willing to help.
                      But I've unfortunately got bad news a few hours ago. My little Rivie did not make it. He was just too sick. I'm so heartbroken right now I don't really know what else to say. :'(

Comment

Oh no... I'm so very sorry.

I wonder if there might have been something else very serious going on with River. Sadly, sometimes the diabetes is a late-stage symptom of something awful.

I know it might be hard for you right now, but I want you to know that you are welcome to post anything here - talk about your life with River, how he came to live with you, what he was like, post pictures.

Now or later, if it's something you want to do, we would be honored to know more about him.

Sending you a huge hug. So very sorry...

Natalie

Comment

Re: River didn't make it...

I was just looking at your photos of Rivie... what a handsome dog he was. He looks like he was very smart.

Natalie

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about River. He was obviously very well loved and will be missed.

Jenny

Comment

Dear Brooke,

How very devastating. I'm so very, very sorry. I think Natalie was right on the button; there was probably something else besides the diabetes going on. I'd guess whatever it was triggered the diabetes.

I haven't seen your pictures yet, but I'll go looking. I'm very partial to small terriers of all sorts, including Rat Terriers. I'd love to read River's story, and I hope when you feel up to it, you'll tell us about him and about your life with him. I think it would make a wonderful memorial to him.

Holding you tight in my heart and arms; my deepest condolences.
                              Mon, 26 Mar 2012 00:14:28 (PDT)
                              http://www.coherentdog.org/
                              CarolW

Comment

Working...
                              X