Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Robert,

I've been reading your posts and I feel so bad, I think Mik knows Mak is not himself.

I think for now I'd get either of them to eat anything, some egg, oatmeal even some regular cereal with a little warm water over it.

I don't know what to say, I know its hard to take when they get older.

Dolly
    Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Hi Robert

It truly is heartbreaking. I think of you often and sign on to see if there is any update. You've been there for them and then some. No one could have done more. I know when my mom was coming close to going with congestive heart failure, she begged me not to make her eat. Toast and broth was all I could get into her. Anyone could understand how sad you are.

I'm praying for you and the pups Robert.
      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

It is an awful lot to suffer through so soon after losing your wife. I can see from your posts that these dogs, in addition to the deep love you have for them yourself, are a part of your wife that you have been able to keep beside you and I'm sure it is wrenching to consider losing that as well.

I hope that there are people in your life you can can turn to - we are of course here for you but I also hope there are people you can be with physically to comfort you and be with you at such a difficult time.

Natalie

Comment

Many thanks to all. At times I feel terribly selfish, knowing there are billions of people who would trade for my problems in a second.

Mik and Mak both took some interest in diced up white turkey slices for a day or two, not much, not enough, but at least they ate something.
          Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Robert,
            I haven't posted much because I feel so helpless, but then I realized that you must be feeling it ten fold so here I am just saying hi and sending positive thoughts to you.
            Jenny

Comment

Hi Robert,
              Try taking Mik and Mak for a ride in the car. Maybe to a dog park or take a blanket and put in in the cart and go to Petsmart and just troll the isles. Maybe a change of scenery, smells, people, will give them some excitement.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

That's a good idea John! I don't know about Mik and Mak but Jack loves an outing... pretty much anywhere is good for him. Though he prefers it to include squirrels...

Comment

Hi Robert,

Just checking in on you and Mik and Mak, I hope today is a better day.

Dolly
                  Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Hi Robert

Wanted to see how you were. Drop us a note when you can

Comment

Thank you for asking,
                      No real change. Mak eats maybe 50-75 calories a day [after hours of coaxing] and Mik's appetitie and preferences change by the hour. Loved turkey slices last night, today they are poision. He managed about 300 calories one night and I thought the crisis was over, then ate nothing for two days.
                      Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Originally posted by robertpri View Post
                        Thank you for asking,
                        No real change. Mak eats maybe 50-75 calories a day [after hours of coaxing] and Mik's appetitie and preferences change by the hour. Loved turkey slices last night, today they are poision. He managed about 300 calories one night and I thought the crisis was over, then ate nothing for two days.
                        Hi Robert,
                        It was nice to see your post I have been thinking about you all, try to keep your spirits up Robert ( I know easier said than done).
                        I think everyone is concerned for you and Mik and Mak.

Just take one day at a time Robert you are doing great.

Hugs to you all
                        Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Robert,
                          Haven't seen an update. Hope the kids are doing better. I really believe they can sense your / our emotions and if you are depressed because they are not eating, the depression might be feeding on itself and they are feeling depressed. Change the scenery, change the mood, take them in the yard and throw their favorite toys. Take out the leash and see if they get excited.

We lost our Roxee very recently and her littermate sister (Rozee) of 14 years has been very depressed. Can't blame her for all the tears that have been shed in our house for a while. I have had to take her out for a rides, spend special time alone with her and her favorite toy in the yard, get her to follow me into another room for a special treat. It's an ongoing battle to keep her out of her depression. We get some relief for a while but we keep trying.

Please keep us posted, we are concerned for you, Mik and Mak.

Keeping positive thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

Comment

Hi Robert

thinking of you and the little ones. Know we are thinking about you and wish you well.

Comment

Originally posted by Roxee'sDad View Post
                              Robert,
                              We lost our Roxee very recently and her littermate sister (Rozee) of 14 years has been very depressed. Can't blame her for all the tears that have been shed in our house for a while.

Oh, I am SO sorry to hear this. I fully understand the depression. Since Karen left us, this house has been depressed although I try everything to keep the mood light. At 14, they are not playful any more, but at times I can get them going.

Minor victories here and there. I leave out dry kibble and cheerios during the day, and one day all the bowls were licked clean. I don't know which one ate, or both.

Mik is the most fickle critter I've ever seen. The chicken breasts were a HUGE success for about five days, then he lost all interest. I was cooking them in light olive oil then draining and dicing.

I then tried the microwave, and that worked once. I tried cooking in light butter and that was a failure.

Maybe they liked the olive oil flavor. I'll try it again. Chopped turkey breast is "off and on". Some days they will eat it, others, not go near it.

I fried a cube steak and diced it and Mik ate the whole thing! Success! I bought more, and now he won't go near it.

Mik is holding his wt, but Mak is losing it. But he's about two-three lbs heavy anyway, but I don't want him losing wt this way---not eating much.

Getting either one to wake at 5 am is a chore, much less getting them to eat.

But we're still here.

Many thanks to all, and so sorry about Roxee.

bob

Comment

Hi Robert,
                                Very happy to hear from you and the kids. I am so glad that they are eating even though it's still finicky. I guess you are becomming quite the gourmet canine chef. Might want to consider writing a book . 14 is a bit senior but my last pooch Bailey lived to be 17 and Chainey before him lived to be 19.

Thanks for the condolences on Roxee, we do miss her sooo much as I am sure you understand. I'm still trying to get Rozee out of her funk. I took my own advice yesterday and took her to Petsmart to troll the isles. She got excited in the food isle, her nose was just sniffing away. Then she got excited in the toy isle and even picked out a new toy. Then she growled at the groomer that came out to say hi. That's my girl.

Take care Robert, and please keep us up to date. I get so sad and worried when I don't see anything from you for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X