Ace the Border Collie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ace the Border Collie

Good Morning folks! I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myself and Ace. I picked up Ace in September 2016 and he was a happy, healthy bouncy border collie puppy. Regular trips to the vet and in January '18 he was 34 lbs. Fast forward to April '18, we had some pretty severe storms here in Virginia and (I believe) Ace got some parasite from playing in the local creek by the dog park and water run off from a storm drain in our yard. Sloopy, cow patty poop and weight loss, I take him to the vet in June and he was down to 24 lbs and diagnosed with EPI. In July, he started to drink voraciously and peeing everywhere. Hello Diabetes diagnosis!!
    After a ton of reading and some help from the epi4dogs forum, Ace is now up to 38-39 lbs!!! We feed a mix of kibble, chicken breast, sweet potato, and fat free cottage cheese.
    Currently we're giving 6 units of Vetsulin twice a day. I was wondering what anyone's thoughts were about talking to my vet about possibly switching insulins. Price being the major reason. I have a testing kit at home and have run a couple curves so far. I just need more experience in understanding all of the information from the curves and how to adjust along the way.
    Looking forward to being a part of the group and learning through shared experiences of everyone here.

Ace (border collie) was diagnosed with EPI on 5/31/18 and weighed 24.6 lbs. On 7/28/18, Ace was diagnosed as diabetic. 2 meals per day. 1 cup Victor Multi pro with 1/2 cup ground chicken breast, 1/4 cup sweet potato, and 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese. 7 units Vetsulin injections twice daily with each meal.

Re: Ace the Border Collie

Welcome. Sounds like you're on your way with a management regimen. Early on, educating yourself is important.
    Just be methodical and consistent. Food and insulin every 12 hours.
    Do a full curve, see what the lowest number is {nadir} and when it occurs.
    Many people test at fasting {just before meals}, and you can spot check before nadir time, because it won't be the same every day, but you want to watch for low sugar.
    If nadir is not too low, then you can increase insulin dose one unit, give it a week, and do another curve.
    Keep doing this until nadir starts to be consistently in a low, but safe range.
    A 39 lb. dog usually would start with a dose of almost 9 units.

As for changing insulins, now would be the time to do it, so that your regulation progress is with the insulin you want to use. Many people use an NPH insulin, either Humulin or Novolin NPH. It's the most common.
    Vets will almost always want you to use Vetsulin, but it's not mandatory.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

As raysaint suggested Nph has had good success in dogs and comparable with the action of vetsulin . You must know that you can get the nph brand under the relion name at Walmart for a big discount with syringes . You can get the 30 unit ones with half unit markings to fine tune adjustments using those half unit markings .

Usually doing a change from vetsulin to NPH the dose in units remains about the same . Most reduce a tad of the NPH at the beginning of the changeover . Remember you do have to change syringe type and dont use your vetsulin syringes with NPH

We have had other EPI dogs on the forum and did well .
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

We've had good results with the Walmart Relion insulin and the prices are great. I don't know what you're doing for enzymes, but you might want to see what your vet thinks about Pan-tenex enzymes if you're on the expensive stuff (like Viokase). It's porcine enzymes in comparable numbers to the vet prescription stuff. We go though about a container every 3 weeks for $50. http://www.pantenexdogenzymes.com (I have no affiliation with them, I've never even gotten the bulk discount).

Marisa and Bean (the 28lb 12 year old border collie with a pancreatic insulinoma with resulting pancreatic/bile issues who occasionally decides to be diabetic instead of hypoglycemic)

Comment

Just a quick hello to you and Ace from me and our nondiabetic border collie!

How are things going?

Natalie

Comment

I haven't been in here in forever. Well and had crossed the 40lb threshold and for the most part has been doing well. We've had a few hiccups along the way but nothing major. I work for a college and have been incredibly busy so we haven't done further into switching from vetsulin yet. I may do that once things calm down over the summer and I'm able to monitor more closely to get things regulated.
            Most of what we have done to get to this point with both the epi and diabetes had been due in large part to these forums and epi4dogs. We'll be a year in to this June 1st, will probably have another tli test done and I've been trying to find the time to get all accurate BG curve.
            Ace (border collie) was diagnosed with EPI on 5/31/18 and weighed 24.6 lbs. On 7/28/18, Ace was diagnosed as diabetic. 2 meals per day. 1 cup Victor Multi pro with 1/2 cup ground chicken breast, 1/4 cup sweet potato, and 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese. 7 units Vetsulin injections twice daily with each meal.

Comment

Glad everything has improved . It may never be perfect but the good thing is it doesnt have to be
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

It’s great to hear a goid update!

Comment

Working...
                X