Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abby: Laryngeal Paralysis

Hi everyone,
    It's still me but with a different question about a different dog. Abby is Ozzi's 13 year old companion. She's been in great health since I got her at 2 months old, and aside from being spayed, she just sees the vet annually. Over the past couple of months, I have noticed that she gags after drinking water, and thought she had "swallowed the wrong way." Over the past week, she has been gagging after drinking and now she gags after drinking and at random times. Three days ago she started to pant excessively at rest sometimes and with exercise all the time. I brought her in to see the vet worried that she might have heart issues because I had a cat with cardiomyopathy who acted similarly.

The vet said Abby's heart and lungs sounded fine. She had no fever. Belly exam was normal. Gums were normal color. She felt Abby's neck and was able to reproduce the gag. She had a chest Xray that was normal and the airway and esophagus looked normal and patent.

The vet put Abby on an empiric trial of doxycycline 150 mg daily thinking that she might have a viral infection in her throat. I find vets often do this, and in human medicine we are told that antibiotics don't work on viral infections! Anyways, the vet said if Abby did not improve, she would need to be sedated and have a scope done to visualize the larynx to determine if she has laryngeal paralysis. Today I researched laryngeal paralysis and Abby has every symptom. I'm fairly sure this is what we are dealing with, and I found that it can be treated either with medicine or with surgery. I was wondering if anyone here has had a dog with this problem and how it was treated, outcome, etc.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Last edited by ozzi; 04-03-2010, 12:06 PM.
    Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Re: Abby: Laryngeal Paralysis

I have heard of this - and the dog in question was also diagnosed with low thyroid. I believe laryngeal paralysis is often linked to hypothyroidism. From memory, treating the thyroid often helps with the paralysis but probably shouldn't be expected to cure it completely.

Treatment for hypothyroidism had a huge impact on this dog's quality of life generally - so getting Abby's thryoid levels looked at could be a good idea

Alison

Comment

Here's a link: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/lary...paralysis.html

It Mentions the possible thyroid connection.

Alison

Comment

Thanks Alison. I had actually read that myself today and dismissed it since Abby had a normal thyroid profile on exam last October; however, now that you bring it up, it makes me think that it's worth another check. Things can change in six months! I'll ask the vet about drawing a thyroid panel again when I bring her in for the scope. Thank you!
        Kevin
        Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

I agree, a lot can change in 6 months especially when you consider that for a dog (particularly for an older dog) 6 months can be in a lot of ways the physiological equivalent of about 3 or 4 years for a human.

Alison

Comment

So my little girl is going in to be sedated and scoped on Thursday. I'm already a wreck about it! The nice thing is that my vet always does Ozzi and Abby's surgeries, etc. first, barring any emergencies, which is really nice. I think my vet is more concerned about my stress level than the dogs! lol

I researched laryngeal paralysis and as a result, have been giving Abby 12.5mg benadryl twice/day, and it has helped her tremendously, to the point that I called the vet to see if a scope was necessary since I don't think there is anything more to do, except maybe stronger drugs down the road if needed, or potentially surgery. She said it would be helpful to rule out any tumors or masses causing the problem, but agreed that Abby would probably not have responded to the benadryl if there were. I am going forward with the scope, and if it shows paralysis, I'll at least be able to have her thyroid checked. Also, she's having another dental. She just had her teeth cleaned 6 months ago, but she has developed a lot of tartar, so that's going to be re-done, and of course nail grinding....so really, it's going to be a day of beauty! lol

Overall Abby is doing great, with minimal bouts of panting, although she continues to "cough/choke" every time she drinks. Eating has not been a problem so far. The only really bad day for Abby was one day a couple of weeks ago when it was 90 degrees (which is unusual for this time of year!), and since the AC's weren't in, she had a day of continuous panting and discomfort. I realized that I need to put in the AC's early this year in case we get unexpectedly hot again.

I'm fascinated with how well the benadryl is helping her. The vet had initially suggested trying prednisone, but I asked about trying her on benadryl first, and she felt that would be fine and we could use prednisone if it didn't help. I am so thankful for the internet...so many answers so quickly!!

I'll let you know the results on Thursday.
            Kevin

Comment

Kevin - wishing you and Abby the best! I like the way you and your vet are going about this. Gosh; I hope the Benadryl does the trick all on its own!

We haven't had any really hot days yet out here on the marine-influenced West Coast of Canada, but I know in your area, you can have very hot and humid days - yikes!

Hard on diabetic dogs, and hard on dogs with nouth/throat problems. Oh, HUMANS? What's that? Hahaha!

We've been having rather cool, blustery weather lately, with some showers. Suits us FAIRLY well, but the showers can mess up our walks!

Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:23:19 (PDT)
              http://www.coherentdog.org/
              CarolW

Comment

Thanks Carol! I haven't spoken to you for a while, but I've been checking your thread and what you have written to others, so I know you're doing well! It was crazy that it had gotten so hot that one day, and unfortunately I didn't have anyone to help me put in the AC's...it's complicated because of the size of the windows and the way they need to be put in...you need two people. Anyways, they'll be in soon. And you are so right, dogs with respiratory issues have it tough on hot days. Ozzi has always run hot, so he really does need it cooler than she has, and with the diabetes, I imagine that will make it tough on him too. He was diagnosed in August, and our weather actually wasn't bad last summer, so this will be the first summer dealing with diabetes in the heat! Although Ozzi will be in AC, he does go out for walks or to the bathroom....is there anything that I should be watching for? I hadn't thought about that, and I like to be prepared...lol
                Thanks,
                Kevin

Comment

Will be thinking of you and Abby on Thursday, Kevin. I hope all goes well!

As far as heat and diabetics in the summer. Increased circulation/sunbathing/warmer temp can create lower bgs due to increased blood flow. So watch for the need to reduce insulin.

Take care,
                  Patty
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks Patty!

That's a very helpful piece of information regarding the summertime. I hadn't realized that, and will definitely keep it in mind, and watch for any changes. Now that you mention it, I guess it's the same theory as exercise dropping the BG.
                    Kevin

Comment

Will be keeping an eye out for news on Thursday.

I'm glad the Benedryl is so helpful... do they say why it should improve laryngeal paralysis?

Chris had a minor case of it but not enough to cause his any serious problems.

Natalie

Comment

I'm here watching, too. I'd probably do the same as you're doing, in the circumstances.

Hope to drop in again on your web site; really like it!

Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:35:14 (PDT)
                        http://www.coherentdog.org/
                        CarolW

Comment

Thinking of you and Abby tomorrow Kevin!
                          Patty
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thank you all for your warm thoughts! I brought Abby in this morning and barring any emergencies, she was scheduled to be the first surgery at 9am. It's past 12:30pm, and no call yet....I hate that!

Thanks Carol...I'm glad you like the site. I have been remiss in updating it lately since I was away, and then came home and got sick the next day. I'm still feeling like crap and finally went to the doctor yesterday. She ordered a chest Xray, and gave me an antibiotic, inhaler and cough syrup.

Natalie, regarding Abby's current treatment with benadryl, it was actually initiated by me, with the vet's "okay." When my vet originally mentioned laryngeal paralysis as a likely diagnosis, I researched it. I found that medical treatments are only palliative and all are aimed at reducing swelling, or just calming down the dog. Apparently rest, corticosteroids, antihistamines, and sedatives may all have beneficial effects.

Abby was having an awful time with excessive panting 24/7 and frequent bouts of coughing/choking after walking, eating, drinking, or for no reason at all. My vet wanted to start Abby on prednisone, but from what I read, I asked about trying benadryl first, since it has fewer side effects and is less likely to cause other issues. So, with the vet's blessing, I started her on 25 mg three times/day. This zonked her out, and I continued to decrease the dose until I found a dose that helped her, but did not make her too drowsy. She is currently taking 12.5mg twice/day and the change in her is phenomenal! She no longer has panting at rest, and only has excessive panting with exercise or on hot days. She no longer coughs/chokes ever except after drinking water.

So, it appears the benadryl is working by reducing swelling and acting as an anxiolytic of sorts. I believe benadryl also has mild bronchodilatory effects, which might also be helping her breathe better. The problem from what I understand is that at some point laryngeal paralysis can cause respiratory distress that requires emergency surgery. If that happens, or the condition continues to worsen, to the point where it becomes debilitating, surgery is the next step. The goal of surgery is to open the airway. There are various different types of procedures done to "tie back" the arytenoid cartilage or open the airway. The issue with that is the airway remains in the "open" position all the time, so the dog is subject to inhalation pneumonia. From what I can figure based on what I have read, surgery is really a treatment of last resort because of its complications. So for now, I'm hoping that Abby, like Ozzi, can be managed medically.

Sorry for the long explanation Natalie! I tend to ramble here as well as in real life!
                            Kevin

Comment

That makes sense with the Benadryl Kevin. Glad it's been working so well. Will be waiting to hear the findings from today...
                              Patty

Comment

Working...
                              X