Kitty Katie - July 1996 - July 2, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitty Katie - July 1996 - July 2, 2014

I guess I've never introduced Gus' sister Katie. She's been relatively healthy most of her life so I haven't had much cause to mention her. She shares hip dysplasia with her brother Gus and was actually diagnosed with it when she was fairly young. She's not quite as crazy as Gus either, though she's not normal either!

Gus and Katie will be 15 in July.

She was diagnosed as hyperthyroid last June and has been doing well on Tapazole. She's not a great candidate for thyroid irradiation as she stresses massively at the vet. So we are hoping to keep it under control with medication.

Her vet appointment is Monday. We will start with the blood draw first and then, if we are very lucky, the vet might get some examination in before she comes unglued.

She looks good but seems to be urinating often recently. The urine on the carpet was very strongly concentrated so kidney problems don't seem likely. It's more of a gut feeling than anything other than sometimes a lot of urination.

She's been on a diet so weight isn't a very good indicator but she's definitely not excessively skinny.

I'm hoping I'm just a bit paranoid and we spend good money to find out she's just fine.

Natalie

Re: Katie - Gus' Sister

They are so different looking! I have 2 kitties, both 14. i dont see any sign of aging. Not sure when that starts as I've never had cats before. On doesn't mind the vet at all, in fact she does'nt mind anything, the other, he has to come out to the car! she absolutely freaks out.
    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Are her eyes blue? She beautiful. I do hope you find out nothing serious is going on Natalie.
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Her eyes are lime green - very striking against her reddish-black fur. Both Gus and Katie have very very subtle orange strips in their fur. Katie's are more obvious than Gus'.

I'm guessing they are Maine Coon either full or mixed but were found out in the country as kittens so who knows.

I would say that they have started to be more like older kitties in the past year but both have had health issues the past year too.

Natalie

Comment

Natalie,
          What a beautiful girl!
          My Audrey has been taking topical methimazole (spelling?) for a year. She is also not a candidate for irradiation because of her age.
          Our vet says that she prefers to keep her thyroid level at high end of normal for older cats because of her age and potential kidney issues. Apparently treating hyperthyroid can reveal underlying kidney issues.
          I think one of audrey's first thyroid signs were excessive eating and drinking and weight loss.
          I hope Katie's blood test shows everything normal.

Yunhee

Comment

Katie was shockingly cooperative at the vet... made me think maybe she really was sick. But her bloodwork came out mostly improved from the last time we checked it. Kidneys fine. Her liver enzymes were slightly elevated last year, they felt from the hyperthryoid, and those have improved.

Instead of her holing up in her carrier, they were able to haul her around the clinic held in their arms and she sat and waited with me for the vet to come in while sitting on a window seat looking out and watching the traffic go by. No dumps in the carrier either. So a very successful vet visit.

Her thyroid has come down some more since the last dose increase. It is not quite as low as they would like it so we are upping her Tapazole another 1/4 tablet per day. She's now on 5 mgs am and 3.75mg (3/4 tab) pm.

Fortunately, she loves Pill Pockets so medicating her with Tapazole is a breeze. It might be different if the med tasted really bad but she takes this one with no problems.

She's at a good weight too. 9.7 pounds. Gus would be too skinny at that - he needs to weigh about a pound more. I recently upped the amount of food she's getting as I'm trying to find the right quantity to maintain her current weight.

She threw up another hairball yesterday... could be this new diet is not handling her hairballs as well and that's what's leading her to throw up. I came around the corner the other day just in time to watch her swallow a blob of her fur!

She won't lick the hairball goop off of her paws but I will see if I can find a treat she will take that has hairball remedy in it. With her long fur, she probably needs a little assistance with that.

She probably should have a dental this year. She's never had one. And it would give the vet a chance to give her a really thorough exam.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by peggy0 View Post
              One doesn't mind the vet at all, in fact she doesn't mind anything, the other, he has to come out to the car! she absolutely freaks out.
              It's amazing how different they can be! My previous cat, Gandy, was never very cooperative at the vet. I still remember taking her for a vaccination and Dr. Tucker saying "Oh, she will be okay. I've only ever had one cat who had to go home without the vaccination." Gandy was the second. So when I took these cats to Dr. Tucker years later, I think she wondered about me and my cats when Katie levitated off the table and over her head...

I suppose this is what happens when cats land in your lap as opposed to choosing them at a shelter. Gandy had a lot of issues.

Natalie

Comment

Glad to hear the trip was successful Natalie. And that her bloodwork looked pretty good.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Glad for the pretty good news on Katie, Natalie. My cat Prancy was very cooperative at the vet's - lived there two weeks once, with a GI upset, and was perfectly happy! Ah, I miss that cat at times! not getting another, as I can really only support one animal companion now. Camellia is that companion of course.

Keep us posted - I trust you will - on Katie, Gus and Jack!

Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:47:09 (PST)
                  http://www.coherentdog.org/
                  CarolW

Comment

Katie has aged so much in the past couple of months. Some days she seems better than others but my gut instinct is that something is up with her. She needed her thyroid level checked so a few weeks ago we did that and a full blood panel. That all looked okay. Her thyroid level was a little bit low so we dialed back her med. I was hoping that would be enough to resolve my concerns but it hasn't.

After more days of looking at her and thinking she just doesn't look right and some days especially seems off, we decided to have a full workup done on her. She goes in Thursday and I think they will anesthetize her since they can't do much with her otherwise. Maybe start with an x-ray and perhaps an ultrasound while they have her under.

She's eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing normally but her fur is thin and dull and she just doesn't look right.

She's 15, hyperthyroid now for about a year and taking Tapazole to control it, and has hip dysplasia. Her weight is about right and we have settled on a diet that she will consistently eat and that seems to agree with her.

If it wasn't for the fact that there was almost a day about two months ago where her demeanor and appearance changed, I'd say she was fine.

Natalie

Comment

Natalie,
                      Sending Katie healing thoughts. I am amazed how well you take care of all your creatures. I hope that it is nothing serious.

Comment

Hoping for the best Thursday, Natalie!

Comment

Katie's at the vet now. Starting with an x-ray and then if nothing on that probably an ultrasound and possibly a dental (she's 15 and has never had one done).

I was even more worried about her after they weighed her. She dropped from 10 pounds down to 9 in only four weeks after being stable for months and despite the fact that I gave her a lot of extra food this past week because I could see that she was thin.

Natalie

Comment

I hope everything turns out ok.
                            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

a pound is a lot for a 10 pound cat, I can see why you're worried, poor girl. I hope it is nothing serious Natalie.

Judi
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                              X