MAGGIE...Kevin's New Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAGGIE...Kevin's New Rescue

Good for Maggie! And good for Zakk! What an animal family! [big sigh of pleasure!]
    Mon, 7 Nov 2011 16:46:53 (PST)
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Comment

Maggie's Update

Maggie turned 2 years old on June 30, 2012.

My little girl has had a tough time and it's been a rocky road over the past year with lots of things going on.

First, the AWESOME news!! I switched Maggie to r/d in April and literally counted every calorie that went into her mouth, including treats and the half dentastix she gets daily. She was 50 pounds in April and met her goal of 35 pounds a couple of weeks ago!! I am so proud of this little girl! It's been really hard because I feel like she's hungry all the time, but she's been a trooper with the new regimen for the past 5 months. I cannot believe how great she looks and she has a waist again...LOL. The 15 pound loss represents 30% of her original body weight, so it's a huge loss and has made a huge improvement in her life.

That's where the sad news comes in. Maggie had been having progressively increasing issues with falling down because of her neurological problems associated with the head injury I was told she had early in life. She started to develop "episodes" of falling, losing awareness and urinating. My vet thought she was having seizures and started her on potassium bromide, which made her very sick. She vomited all the time. So I took her to a neurologist at Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston last April who said the following:

(1) He does not believe she had a head injury at all. He suspects the breeder understood what the problem actually was and made up that story so the underlying issue would not be discovered in the local community, because it is hereditary and he should not have been breeding these dogs.

(2) Maggie is suffering from vertigo 24/7 and there are no medications to help her. The vertigo is not from the inner ear (where meds could help), but from the cerebellum. Giving her medications that would in any way sedate her will increase her symptoms, so there is nothing to do.

(3) And this is the worst part: Maggie has cerebellar abiotrophy. The official diagnosis can only be done after the dog passes and they dissect the brain, but he is absolutely sure of it. He said that many dogs can live a full life with this but because Maggie has had progressively increasing symptoms at a younger age, including biting me (which is new), as well as the "episodes" I described and the increasing inability to stand, he recommended euthanasia. He said there is no treatment for cerebellar abiotrophy and this will continue on a downward path, so euthanasia was the kindest thing I could do for her. He was very blunt about this and adamant that I consider it fairly soon rather than later, as he put it. He said the new onset of biting was her showing frustration with the inability to walk and move her limbs the way she wants given that she is impaired, but still alert and aware that she can't do things she wants to.

I have talked to my regular vet and researched what I could. I realize that he is right, at least from the academic perspective, but I have not taken his advice about putting her down. I understand that I may need to cross that bridge in the future, but for now, I truly believe Maggie has a very good quality of life. The weight loss was the single best "medicine" I could have given her. I can tell you that she is much more mobile with 15 pounds off of her and she can jump on the couch and on me now, which she never has done. I believe, and this is anecdotal based on my own experience, that she is happier now. She really has more control of her limbs and is actually falling LESS than she had. She is also not biting as she had. And she plays with Kobi and Joey all the time. I don't believe she is suffering at this point in time, and I do believe she is happy, so for me it's a watch and wait. I'm hoping that I'm not wrong here, and I'd love to hear from anyone who has or has had a dog with this diagnosis.

Kevin
      Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Originally posted by ozzi View Post
        Maggie's Update

I understand that I may need to cross that bridge in the future, but for now, I truly believe Maggie has a very good quality of life. The weight loss was the single best "medicine" I could have given her. I can tell you that she is much more mobile with 15 pounds off of her and she can jump on the couch and on me now, which she never has done. I believe, and this is anecdotal based on my own experience, that she is happier now. She really has more control of her limbs and is actually falling LESS than she had. She is also not biting as she had. And she plays with Kobi and Joey all the time. I don't believe she is suffering at this point in time, and I do believe she is happy, so for me it's a watch and wait. I'm hoping that I'm not wrong here, and I'd love to hear from anyone who has or has had a dog with this diagnosis.Kevin
        That is the most important. No matter when you say goodbye to Maggie, you will have at least given her some quality of life which she never would have had with someone else. That is what keeps me sane when I think of my Buddy.

Your Maggie will let you know when she no longer wants to fight the battle.

You truly are amazing Kevin. Like I said before, you restore my faith in humanity.

Louise

Comment

Kevin,
          I'm just heartbroken to read Maggie's update and have never heard of this diagnosis. I'm glad she's happy in the here and now.

Your neurologist sounds like a good doc, Kevin. I'm glad she's off the KBr now, poor girl. I had to take Ali to South Dever to be seen after she experienced seizures that started in June. Potassium Bromide created major problems for her as well with ataxia, significant weakness such that I was carrying her outside, and sedation. I seriously thought mid-Aug I was going to have to let her go. Now off the med she is much better.

Hoping you have many more days with your Maggie.
          Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Sorry to hear about Ali! Maggie had all of the same symptoms on KBr....it was awful. It definitely made her worse by increasing her ataxia, making her very weak and unable to walk even more than usual and the CNS sedative part of it just made her "whacko," which the neurologist explained was because of the cerebellar abiotrophy. She also vomited violently between 1-8 hours after taking it. My regular vet kept decreasing the dosage because she couldn't tolerate the loading dose, and it didn't change anything. Since it wasn't helping her, I was glad to get her off it. Like Ali, Maggie also improved when she got off it. Glad to hear both of our dogs are doing better without KBr!

Kevin
            Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

The Maggie update:

Maggie turned three years old in June. She's very stable with vertigo and cerebellar abiotrophy overall, however now when she gets excited, she is unable to hold herself up at all, falls, and can't get up or gain her balance without help. Coming home from work is always a challenge. I guess I'll be concerned when I come home and she doesn't act this way!

She has a plaque issue and the vet really doesn't want to give her anesthesia because of the neurological issues, so she's get a dentastix daily....not bad, right? I'm hoping this will help, but honestly I have little faith since she eats it up in like 3 seconds. This dog is always hungry and acts as if she never gets fed. I'm waiting to be reported to Animal Control for "starving" her if any of my neighbors believe her "I never get fed" story! I don't know if it's because she was the runt of the litter or what, but she has always had an unhealthy focus on food.

The neurologist says the vertigo makes her dizzy all the time but I'm not sure about that because she really does very well and is fairly active despite the falling down. I know people who have had vertigo, and they're were almost bedridden because of it. It certainly hasn't slowed her down at all and she remains a very happy little girl!

Kevin

Comment

nice to hear from you Kevin! Thanks for the update on Maggie. Vertigo is awful so I agree that i can't imagine her always being dizzy! i give my dogs dentistix as well and I swear they swallow them whole. Have you had her thyroid tested? one of my kitties was always hungry and he had some issues there.
                Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Hey Peggy,

GREAT to hear from you. I still think of you and Forbes often.

Regarding Maggie's thyroid, I actually had it tested twice because I didn't believe the results of the first test...ha ha!! Her thyroid tests are normal and my vet was kind enough to accommodate the second request for testing about a year later but I'm sure she was rolling her eyes on the inside! I was convinced that she had a thyroid problem because she was always hungry and had gained so much weight. Turns out she gained the weight from overeating...who would have thought!

Maggie was 50 pounds and had a sausage-like figure. The vet said her goal weight was 35 pounds. I changed her food to Hills r/d, started measuring everything that went into her mouth including treats, and got her down to 34 pounds in 6 months. I transitioned her back to her regular food over a year ago and she remains 34 pounds today and has her waist back! She looks great, but she devours food as if she hasn't eaten in days. It's weird, but I guess it's just her. She's been like this since the day I got her.

Kevin

Comment

TJ was like that. He was underfed for years and the vet said once they've been hungry they never get over it! TJ acted like I never gave him anything to eat lol. Good to see you back kevin
                    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Good to hear from you Kevin. I was a little worried before I opened the thread. So glad to hear things are going well!

You know I think Ali's Kong treat balls helped her teeth because she'd work on them so long, especially her canine teeth. We had the round ones with the star shaped hole, kind of like the center hole in this bone.
                      http://www.kongcompany.com/products/...c-goodie-bone/

We also used Petzlife to brush with.

Happy belated Birthday to her. Can't believe she's 3!
                      Patty
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hey Patty,

Thanks for the link. I never thought a Kong might help but I'm definitely willing to try. My regular vet suggested brushing and kind of smiled when she mentioned it...ha ha! Maggie will never stand for that. To be honest, I have never actually tried, just assumed, so you have made me rethink attempting it!

Thanks again!

Kevin

Comment

I think it was the rubbing action of working on it that helped.

They also make a spray if she won't tolerate brushing.

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Thought I would share what I use on Abby, and it is a gel (brushing is optional, and helps, but not necessary). Abby has never had her teeth cleaned, and I have actually seen improvements in the plaque when using this product.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7a664fxipq_b

Barb
                            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Thanks Barb! I will order that and give it a try. I did not know about this or the spray that Patty mentioned and I'm surprised my vet didn't bring it up because she knows how Maggie is. Any excitement or stress increases her neuro symptoms, but I think applying this would be much easier on her than actually trying to brush. She has a bad overbite which may be responsible for the plaque because she can't eat normally. I have been using Hill's t/d (dental formula) for treats with her, but it hasn't made any difference.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Comment

It always helps when others have tried it, and can say it works. I was surprised to see that it improved... I was expecting for status quo. Hopefully it works just as well for Maggie.

Barb
                                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                                X