Abby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abby

My heart aches for you and my eyes, they are leaking . . . .

Love and hugs,

Mary
    Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
    Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
    Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
    Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

So very sorry.

Thinking of you and sending big hugs

Louise

Comment

Thank you so much to everyone. I spent a nice evening with Abby, and she was adorable. I feel that I am acting a little too fast here, but at the same time, I know that her future is more suffering. So, I'm acting while she is still somewhat vibrant because I don't want her to go through any more suffering than she must. It's very hard, though. She is still fairly active, even if it does tire her out and cause some panting. So, I feel like I could have another couple of days with her. But, I am very worried that she will have a sudden pulmonary arrest, as the vet suggested, and I cannot imagine the pain that would cause her. So, this is to avoid anything like that, and to make sure that she doesn't suffer further.

I do hope I am making the right choice. However, knowing that she is suffering and that she is only going to get worse, makes me feel like I am doing the right thing.

Thank you again for all of your support.
        Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Thinking of you, and sending hugs. It is the most unselfish gift you can give to your Abby, so she doesn't go through any pain, but it is the hardest on you.
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

It's so hard on me that I chickened out. Actually, I took a look at her this morning and thought about how she was last night, and I honestly think that I'm acting just a bit too fast. I want Sunday with my cat, and that might be selfish, but she is still able to jump up on the bed. She still has an appetite, and she purrs and loves being around me. So, I'm taking the weekend. I made the appointment for Monday.

Sorry to cry wolf, but I want as much time as I can get with her, and I hope she has an ok weekend.

Again, you guys are amazing, and I appreciate so much that I have this forum and you guys to talk to about this.
            Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

You are doing what you need to do...not selfish at all! Abby is still doing okay so just take a deep breath! You DO need that time with her...we all do when it's their time!

I understand exactly where you are right now...I had a cat that had advanced FIV and it was a toss up as to when he'd pass away and how awful it would be when it happened. I chose to put him to sleep before that happened but I did take an extra day to be with him. I didn't want him to suffer and knowing he passed away before that...it helped. Their lives get so hard when they suffer so allowing them to go before ...it's a blessing. Not an easy decision ever! You wonder if it's too soon...too late...what will happen if I wait...you can go crazy with thoughts like that!

So please just enjoy her this weekend...love her...let her love you! It's all ok!
              Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

I think you are doing everything right. Enjoy your weekend with your Abby. I am sure she appreciates this extra time with you.

Comment

Thanks guys. She had an ok day today so far. The doc prescribed lasix to help drain her lungs and I split the dose today but I don't think it was as effective that way. I think I will go back to one whole pill tomorrow am.

We will see how tomorrow goes. She is still eating, purring and can walk. I'm going to evaluate tomorrow evening.

Comment

I thought about you last night and feel the extra time is a good thing. Make some great memories so that whenever the time comes--no mattter when it happens--you will always have them.

I'm sure Abby loves you!

Mary
                    Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her

Comment

Thank you. I'm taking it slowly now. I was very worried that she would have a painful episode this weekend that I could have prevented by making the decision early but my mother came to see her and gave me a little perspective. She is doing ok. She does have labored breathing but she seems to be coping with it and still has an appetite. She purrs and can jump up on a bed, though it winds her a bit. I hate to see her struggle but I think it's still too soon. I'm going to keep a close eye on her today and we will take it day by day. She gave me some good cuddles yesterday and this morning, bless her.

Comment

I totally agree with you as I am doing the same thing. My cat is in pain, but she eats well, wants to escape to the garden and wants to cuddle. I think as long as she is doing these, she shoud live.
                        She does bleed from her sore, and it hurts her, but I, too, am not ready to part with her (and I think she feels the same).
                        Abby seems like she is not ready to leave you yet. Enjoy every second.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
                          I totally agree with you as I am doing the same thing. My cat is in pain, but she eats well, wants to escape to the garden and wants to cuddle. I think as long as she is doing these, she shoud live.
                          She does bleed from her sore, and it hurts her, but I, too, am not ready to part with her (and I think she feels the same).
                          Abby seems like she is not ready to leave you yet. Enjoy every second.
                          You too and take care. I'm with you.

Comment

Just an opinion, but I think they don't feel pain on the same level as we do. I have reasons to believe that, but it's too philosophical to get into.

May you both still have some good times with your babies. All of you deserve it --you and them.

Mary

Comment

I believe the same as Mary...I don't think they feel it the same way either. Got this opinion when my cat was spayed and she was bouncing around the house the next day as if her tummy hadn't been cut open and organs removed. I was laid low for a week with just a gallbladder removal. I don't think that they DON'T feel it...just more tolerant perhaps. More able to focus around it and deal with it. They tend to take things in stride while we get all freaked out and I think that extends to pain.

So while she is uncomfortable...she's happy to be with you and eating and will take it one day at a time...like you!
                              Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryLea View Post
                                Just an opinion, but I think they don't feel pain on the same level as we do. I have reasons to believe that, but it's too philosophical to get into.

May you both still have some good times with your babies. All of you deserve it --you and them.

Mary
                                Yeah, perhaps they don't feel physical pain soul-deep like we can.

I'm noticing inches of decline. She's still somewhat peppy and alert, but she tires out a lot faster since even Friday and she will hyperventilate sooner after exertion. I am watching her and petting and loving on her. I'm so glad I waited and allowed us more time, but I do think her time is very near.

On a different note, my otherwise healthy, if not obese, kitty presented to me shivering and miserable last night. So, I put a call into the vet for him. 104.4 fever and vomiting. Friggin' great, right? Just what I needed. Well, I decided to wait overnight before taking him to the vet, and luckily it was a good plan because he is much better this morning. 102 degrees, which is normal for a cat. So, hopefully crisis averted there. Poor little guy. He was convalescing last night at 3am in my bed when Zoe, the diabetic dog, decided the thunder and lightening was too much for her, and had to be on the bed, too. What a night. I'm done in.

Thanks again for all of your support. I will keep you updated.

Comment

Working...
                                X