Clear All

• Latest numbers - need opinion

Hello everyone -

I'll give a short background first -

Pomeranian
    9 years
    diagnosed May of this year (May 2021)
    May of 2021 - weight 18 pounds

He is a long and tall Pomeranian. Not a normal size at all. He fits the description of a throwback Pom

I won't go into detail about how dramatic our diabetes discovery was for our little guy but our journey began in a crazy way.

His weight from the time he was 4 to 5 years old had gotten as high as 24 pounds. He is a vey aggressive eater. He actually had a very bad pancreatic attack at 7 years old.

We put him on Hill's Perfect Weight and got his weight down to 20 pounds. He stayed at 20 pounds for a good while. Again he is a big eater and we fought to keep him down to 20 and were trying for 18.

At his yearly check up in 2020 he was 19.5 pounds.

In May of this year, he began drinking and urinating excessively. We took him in and sure enough he had diabetes. We also had him tested for Cushings and he tested at a high normal range.

He began his insulin and immediately he began feeling and acting better.

Basically in May his numbers were as follows:

4 units
    Morning test - 400
    Mid Day - 225
    Afternoon 565

The vet moved him to 4.5

A few weeks later his numbers were similar as above yet he was still drinking ALOT

He was put on 5 units and within a few days was quite regulated.

He has been doing great. The 5 units seems to be the right dose.
    I had suspicions that he may have been losing weight.
    I scheduled a curves day and consultation.

I dropped him off yesterday and the following are his current numbers.

His weight was at 15 pounds - quite shocking!

6:00 AM - 5 units and his breakfast of Hills m/d mixed with perfect weight.
    8:30 325
    10:30 106
    12 79
    1:30 151
    3:30 495
    5:30 622

Wow what a swing in numbers. The Vet is keeping him on everything the same except adding in a treat or so around mid day to keep the mid day number up a bit.

She wants a bit more food in the morning and evening to see if he gains some weight.

She did not seem extremely concerned with the high numbers except for we will keep an eye on things.

I'm due to take him back for another curves day and weight check in in 1 month.

I'm not one to just sit and wait so I'm posting here for some feedback as I'm not experienced in this and I know you all can give some great comments.

Thank you for reading!

Re: Latest numbers - need opinion

He gets a long drop in blood sugar in the morning. Might try giving him something carby and readily digestible either added to his breakfast or, if possible, given as a snack a couple of hours after breakfast. The goal being to “feed” the strong insulin action the first four hours, thus leveling out his blood sugar.

The flatter his curve, the better his regulation can be. Bringing his blood sugar from a range to 79-600 to all 300s for example, would allow you to then increase his insulin dose (no more than half a unit at a time) to bring all 300s down to all 200s. So first you level out the curve by adjusting the food (adding food and having it be something he digests and turns to sugar quickly). Then when you find the right food content, you can adjust the insulin to match it.

Are you testing blood sugar at home?

The other benefit of flattening the curve is that you may find the insulin lasts longer. Right, the mismatch in food digestion and insulin absorption is using the insulin up before there’s sugar to go with it.

Check out the main website for lots of information on food and insulin: www.K9diabetes.com

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
      He gets a long drop in blood sugar in the morning. Might try giving him something carby and readily digestible either added to his breakfast or, if possible, given as a snack a couple of hours after breakfast. The goal being to “feed” the strong insulin action the first four hours, thus leveling out his blood sugar.

The flatter his curve, the better his regulation can be. Bringing his blood sugar from a range to 79-600 to all 300s for example, would allow you to then increase his insulin dose (no more than half a unit at a time) to bring all 300s down to all 200s. So first you level out the curve by adjusting the food (adding food and having it be something he digests and turns to sugar quickly). Then when you find the right food content, you can adjust the insulin to match it.

Are you testing blood sugar at home?

The other benefit of flattening the curve is that you may find the insulin lasts longer. Right, the mismatch in food digestion and insulin absorption is using the insulin up before there’s sugar to go with it.

Check out the main website for lots of information on food and insulin: www.K9diabetes.com

Natalie
      Thank you for the response. What you said makes perfect sense. I did increase his food in the morning to see if that helped the lower midday number.

I am not test at home. When he was first diagnosed I read alot on the monitors and the reviews were not good at all. Seemed pretty unreliable.

I would LOVE to start testing at home. Any suggestions on a good monitor are extremely appreciated.

I am again looking ath the Alphatrack 2. I will most likely be buying this in the next day or so.

Thank you so much for the info!!

Comment

yes i used the alphatrack its reliable. i also used the human meter the Onetouch ultra.
        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Meters are not going to be perfect but they give a good Idea what blood sugar is doing and as the numbers get lower they become more accurate .

We used human meters for jesses entire 11 years of being diabetic so for us perfection was not important to have good regulation and a long diabetic life .

The more you put into it the better the outcome . This is a disease that is mostly managed at home as with its human counterpart

The big swings in sugar may point to a dose being to much in terms of the sugar supported in the body . You may have passed the dose that was needed which is not that unusual . What you want is to get a dose that sees a reduction in those big swings even if you are seeing higher levels and work from there with small tweaks in the dose and maybe some food adjustments
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
          X