Test strips and cold weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test strips and cold weather

I just ordered test strips from Ohio on Monday, they were shipped on Tuesday and will be delivered tomorrow. I'm in Maryland and our temps have been extremely cold, something we haven't seen in 20 years.

Will the extreme cold temperatures have any affect on the strips themselves during shipping? I just looked at the container I have and it says to store between 40 and 60 degrees. I just hope they aren't ruined.

Thanks for any and all help.

Linda

Re: Test strips and cold weather

actually i like ordering strips in the winter because i worry about the heat of summer .

i would worry less about the cold but if you got a few strips left hold on to them and compare if you can maybe one or two
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks Jesse,

I too have always worried about the heat, just never thought about the cold. The container I have was just opened, so I'll use a few of the new ones either tomorrow night or Saturday after they warm up to room temp.

Linda

Comment

I'd compare them too if you can Linda and let us know how they do. Condensation might be a concern if they warm up too fast. I'd say better cold than heat though!
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi all,

Just a quick update...the cold weather had no affect on the strips at all. Everything turned out fine.

Linda

Comment

good to know linda

my guestamet on buying in bulk for strips and timing of the use by date did not work as well as i planed. i am using November strips still but they still seem to be effective .

its good that it appears strips are kind of durable at times
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Lately on Ebay, a lot of people are selling strips that are 2-3 months past the expiration date and they are super cheap. I was wondering if they would still be ok, but then I didn't want to waste my money.

Glad you are having luck with your expired strips.

Comment

My friend is a diabetic and her doctor told her she could probably safely use her strips as much as six months beyond the date. He got that info from a rep. I haven't bought any expired strips but if they were a couple of months out, I wouldn't have a problem with them.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                X