Frustrated with food spikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frustrated with food spikes

looks positive but you wont really know until doing a couple complete curves
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Very nice
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Looking good!
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lolo View Post
          So I decided to give up for now on trying to find a food that didn’t spike her so much and finally got up the nerve to use R....I really just want the R to combat/level the spike and make the duration shorter....I’ll keep it like this for the week unless I get any low numbers
          The issue of low BG numbers seems to be a bit overblown. I'm sure this can be specific to each pet and some may react differently but if normal BG is 80 to 120 getting close to that by way of insulin should be acceptable.

Scooter's nadir often gets to 80 or below with no obvious negative effects. He has never gone "clinical" as his internist calls it.

Glad to see you opted for using Nonolin R. As I suggested, it is an accepted way to get a handle on BG levels when all else fails.
          Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Comment

Nutro Weight Management is very good, lots of fiber and low calories. Controlled my dog well for years. Currently a little concerned about weight drop but that may be due to age as much as anything else, trying to add additional calories now is a pain.

Comment

I was frustrated with food spikes as well and went up and down with vetsulin thinking I was doing good. Now I use 4 U q12 and two small meals q12 I switched to Royal Canin Glyobalance (presription food) with a little bit of broiled chicken and Ollie's BS stays around 80-120 all the time. Thanks

Comment

I’m amazed (and envious) that some of you can so tightly control your pup’s BG so consistently day to day. It’s much better here since I’ve started giving her R with the Levemir, but I still see some fluctuations from day to day. I think a lot of it may be due to the precision required with Levemir. It’s impossible to give the same exact dose every day. Drawing a dose that is just a hair +/- with Levemir is equivalent to giving .5-1 unit +/- with any other insulin since it’s so much stronger.

Comment

Working...
                X