Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default How Long Does Insulin Last Opened and Refrigerated

Hi Folks,

How long does Humulin N or NPH last opened in the fridge?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:15 PM

Default Re: How Long Does Insulin Last Opened and Refrigerated

Hi Peggy,
The technical answer you'd get from the company is 28-30 days I believe. But I think Eileen also quoted 100 sticks of the syringe into the vial which can last into the next month (Eileen correct me if I'm wrong).
Patty
Old 05-09-2010, 02:11 PM

Annie has been using a vial of NPH for about 6 weeks. She started on 1st of February, and then opened new vials on 15 March and 1 May. Next vial will be 15 June. Haven't seen any difference.

Craig & Annie
Old 05-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Thanks all.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:20 PM

Patty, Craig and Peggy...

There was recently a discussion between moderators on another forum on the length of time an opened vial of NPH can be used.
In the past it has been published that it is as you (Patty) stated, 28-30 days although it appears to have recently been changed now to 42 days as you can see by this link to the product insert of Novo Nordisk's Novolin N.

http://www.novonordiskcare.com/downl...age-insert.pdf

From what I was told by another it has been this in European Countries but with the States indicating only the 30 day limit.

I know that I have gotten up to 45 days out of a vial with Mildred but since a little over a year ago when I went to using both Humalog and NPH I will now replace it at 30 days because I do not want any problems (weakness).

With her Humalog I am getting up to 60 days out of a vial even with the indications being to replace at 30. Because of the expense of a vial of Humalog ($110.00) I choose to stretch this instead of her NPH.

Eileen/Mil
Old 05-09-2010, 04:32 PM

Peggy,
I spoke with a pharmacist at the FDA a few months ago about this very question. According to her, Humulin-N when opened (whether refrigerated or kept at room temperature and out of direct light) should be discarded after 28 days. On the other hand, Relion Novolin-N opened and kept either refrigerated or at room temperature will last 42 days.
Kevin
Old 05-09-2010, 04:47 PM

hmmm, interesting Kevin.

Although if you look at the Novo Nordisk link it would mean all Novolin N, not just ReliOn which is labeled as such for the Walmart and Sams Club Pharmacies.

Eileen/Mil
Old 05-09-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanks Eileen. I don't doubt that is true, I was just asking the pharmacist at the FDA specifically about Relion Novolin-N and Humulin-N. I didn't ask about any other insulins, since I wasn't using them. I believe you are correct about all Novolin-N insulins. I just didn't want to extrapolate on my conversation with the FDA since I had limited it to the two insulins I mentioned in my post!
Kevin
Old 05-09-2010, 05:29 PM

Arrow Re: How Long Does Insulin Last Opened and Refrigerated

My vet has always suggested five weeks - or six weeks - for Novolin-NPH. Refrigerated. Stuck 100 times (hey, 50 days!)

She DID say, you can try six weeks, but then check the BGs during that sixth week! Well, haha! Now I'm checking daily, so maybe I could extend to six weeks safely.

I expect Humulin-NPH would be similar.

Sun, 9 May 2010 17:29:06 (PDT)
Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Administrator

I think the number of uses has a lot to do with it. After all, the only difference between "opened" insulin and "unopened insulin" is that little cap over the stopper. Yes the stopper is more porous but if the bottle is sitting in the fridge unused I suspect it has quite a long shelf-life in the refrigerator. We used to keep backup bottles for months at a time.

But every time you draw from it, you not only inject air and potentially contaminants into the bottle but may slightly change the mix of ultralente and semilente insulin. So the more it's used, to me, the more likely you need to shortcut the life of the bottle.

Natalie